Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How far have we come

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I am sitting here, gutted that we didn't finish off one the premier league's most seasoned campaigners and take the three deserved points - thwarted right at the death by a penalty taken by England's highest ever all time goalscorer....

Not that long ago I was p*ssed off at us losing at Hartlepool or Cheltenham Town

We really have come a long long way together!

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I am sitting here, gutted that we didn't finish off one the premier league's most seasoned campaigners and take the three deserved points - thwarted right at the death by a penalty taken by England's highest ever all time goalscorer....

Not that long ago I was p*ssed off at us losing at Hartlepool or Cheltenham Town

Very true, I felt gutted after the game but a great performance at times and a fantastic noise in the second half

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agreed. Perspective is a wonderful thing (once the initial anger and/or disappointment has passed).

Pissed off we drew with Everton.......

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston

I find it strange that people find the need to moan when we manage a draw against Everton.
Roll back to the Preistfield era then they really would have something to moan about.
Yes, we have come a very long way.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I expressed very much the same emotions to the lads I was with today, gutted to lose two points and feeling like a loss to the team that have spent the second most successive years in the top flight after Arsenal! We certainly have come a long way.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You had more than the 140 characters I had to work with!

[tweet]919572318954934272[/tweet]

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I said pretty much exactly the same thing to a mate who texted me at FT along the lines of “Wow! Albion held Everton!” yet my feelings as I left the Amex were (momentarily) that we’d been done out of 2 points! After a long drive home I still think we (just) shaved it but a draw was probably a fair result when one considers Ryan’s heroics (and Pickford played well for Everton too).

Re the OP’s sentiment, absolutely agree. At the start of the season we all felt a bit “concerned” about how we’d fare in the PL. Only 8 games in we’re not in the drop zone, we haven’t turned out to be the PL’s whipping boys and we’re improving every game. Frankly, when one considers that we were in League 1 just over seven years ago it is quite a remarkable tale of progress and long may it continue.

Great times to be an Albion fan and I am loving every second of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With the best will in the world I don't like these threads.

The Albion turned up today to a state of the art stadium, with at least 4 full internationals, Championship PotS, one of Germany's PotS, a rock solid defense, and one would hope a couple of full internationals in waiting.

We're not little old Brighton anymore (I do appreciate that's not exactly what the OP is says).
Our team were more than a match for Everton, I still maintain they didn't do themselves justice v Arsenal, because we're a bloody good side.

Yes the club has come a long way but lets not use that as some kind of faux 'Lil old Brighton', esp if we're going to get titsy when others say 'we should be beating teams like Brighton'.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I always look back to the game when we were knocked out of the cup by Sudbury town on penalties back in the 1996/1997 season (our last season at the Goldstone) as our lowest point in history. To see where we are now and how well we are competing with the big guns is the stuff of footballing dreams. There can't be many clubs in the world who've turned things around as much as we have. I know this sounds pretty cheesy, but there's definitely something very magical about supporting the Albion.

Bring on West Ham on Friday!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We need to get over the inferiority complex if we're going to survive more than a single season at this level. At this stage, I think we're ticking along nicely but we all know the final 10 games are savage - we need to be picking up the wins in the home games against the gaggle of clubs below the super elite. If the dream is to stay up this season, we can't look for drawing games like these. We need points on the board and we need to be more of a goal threat. We posed almost no threat from open play today.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Off subject. Just realised Everton had more players in their team today who'd played at Withdean than us!

Can anyone name the players?
Siggurdson - Reading. Jagielka - Sheff Utd. Schiederlin - Saints

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Off subject. Just realised Everton had more players in their team today who'd played at Withdean than us!

Can anyone name the players?

OK. um, Lewis Dunk, Glenn Murray and Dale Stephens for us, for them.... Baines for Wigan, Jagielka for Sheffield United and Schneiderlin for Southampton, stumped on the fourth, but a google suggests Sigurdsson for Reading, never realised he played for them

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
With the best will in the world I don't like these threads.

The Albion turned up today to a state of the art stadium, with at least 4 full internationals, Championship PotS, one of Germany's PotS, a rock solid defense, and one would hope a couple of full internationals in waiting.

We're not little old Brighton anymore (I do appreciate that's not exactly what the OP is says).
Our team were more than a match for Everton, I still maintain they didn't do themselves justice v Arsenal, because we're a bloody good side.

Yes the club has come a long way but lets not use that as some kind of faux 'Lil old Brighton', esp if we're going to get titsy when others say 'we should be beating teams like Brighton'.
Agreed

But I still loathe cyclists [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Clearly any true fan is going to be absolutely gutted at the end, denied what would have been and could well prove a very important three points in such circumstances.

But in trying to explain to my devastated daughter about the occasional (or frequent) unfairness football throws up, and how you don't always get what you deserve, I also made myself feel a lot better.

The Albion played really well at times today, some of the passing was very slick and we don't look out of our depth. Even the 2-0 Man City loss is starting to look like the result of the season to date.

Met some pals, Albion and Everton, and enjoyed the match. What's not to like. Apart from Michael Oliver...

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
OK. um, Lewis Dunk, Glenn Murray and Dale Stephens for us, for them.... Baines for Wigan, Jagielka for Sheffield United and Schneiderlin for Southampton, stumped on the fourth, but a google suggests Sigurdsson for Reading, never realised he played for them

Not sure if Sigurdsson played against us for Reading but he definitely played against us for Crewe when they beat us 4-0 back in 2009. I think he also scored that day too.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not sure if Sigurdsson played against us for Reading but he definitely played against us for Crewe when they beat us 4-0 back in 2009. I think he also scored that day too.

yeah he did. How he **** did we lose 4-0 to home to Crewe :lolol: Actually I've looked back and it makes me feel even better about today - Dean White was caretaker manager that day, a week before Slade was appointed manager. Apparently Colin Hawkins being injured was part of our problems and Virgo was in the middle of a five-match ban :lolol: That was the game where Jim McNulty ruptured his kidney

Sussex Express headline from that day is amusing http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/spor...-seagulls-ever-win-at-withdean-again-1-965025

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here