Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bruno’s actions cost us 2 points today

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had no clue what that pen had been given for till I saw it when I got home. He's had a brainstorm there, and a costly one at that. But as Bozza said, he's got a fair amount of credit in the bank (not least from setting up the opener, so he's broken even today). I wondered whether he'd cope with the pace and power of this league, but so far, he's taken it in his stride. Age is just a number, the bloke is built like a greyhound and has clearly looked after himself his whole career. He never looks like he's blowing out of his arse towards the end of a game, his fitness and energy is phenomenal. His touch is sublime. His attitude is inspirational. His experience is invaluable. He is every inch the ideal captain, and that RB slot is his for the season as far as I'm concerned, there is no challenger.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I had no clue what that pen had been given for till I saw it when I got home. He's had a brainstorm there, and a costly one at that. But as Bozza said, he's got a fair amount of credit in the bank (not least from setting up the opener, so he's broken even today). I wondered whether he'd cope with the pace and power of this league, but so far, he's taken it in his stride. Age is just a number, the bloke is built like a greyhound and has clearly looked after himself his whole career. He never looks like he's blowing out of his arse towards the end of a game, his fitness and energy is phenomenal. His touch is sublime. His attitude is inspirational. His experience is invaluable. He is every inch the ideal captain, and that RB slot is his for the season as far as I'm concerned, there is no challenger.

Absolutely this..

I remember seeing some quote from Scheletto when he signed, along the lines of the move to the premier league would help him push for a place in the national squad.
hmm he might be rethinking that position now he's been here a while.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
When Everton hoofed it into the box from set pieces Calvert-Lewin timed his jumps very well and looked their only danger and quite a big one. Caused Bruno no end of trouble. Really tricky opponent to deal with in the air. It has been a long time since I seen a forward that caused that much trouble in the air, if ever.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Drawing as a result of open play is somewhat acceptable, but giving a goal to them on a plate just undid all the previous 87 mins work.
The rest of the team should let him know that as well, he could be God for all I care, it is just not acceptable and no excuses are acceptable, under any circumstances.
If someone at work made a bad decision and cost me a contract that I had worked hard on I would have no trouble letting them know what I felt.
He let himself and the team down, the odds are stacked against us as it is and this sort of action doesn't help.
Right, rant over...................on to the next game.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Drawing as a result of open play is somewhat acceptable, but giving a goal to them on a plate just undid all the previous 87 mins work.
The rest of the team should let him know that as well, he could be God for all I care, it is just not acceptable and no excuses are acceptable, under any circumstances.
If someone at work made a bad decision and cost me a contract that I had worked hard on I would have no trouble letting them know what I felt.
He let himself and the team down, the odds are stacked against us as it is and this sort of action doesn't help.
Right, rant over...................on to the next game.

https://streamable.com/qg98v

Add to that, I thought his reaction to Knockeart at the end of the match was unacceptable for a captain.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Oh well.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Watching the highlights there seemed to be a moment earlier in the second half where Calvert lewin outjumped Bruno in the box and it looks like he might have knocked Bruno with his arm. Maybe Bruno's elbow was an act of retribution? Regardless it was a remarkably stupid act and utterly out of keeping with his usual self.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Points are like gold in this league and should not be wasted.
It's better to try and play to your strengths, not your weaknesses.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just seen it. What was he doing. Even looked at him before putting elbow in. Was outjumped twice before and they should have scored both times. No intention of heading it just trying to block attacker. I can see a lot of far post crosses coming in next few games.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just seen it. What was he doing. Even looked at him before putting elbow in. Was outjumped twice before and they should have scored both times. No intention of heading it just trying to block attacker. I can see a lot of far post crosses coming in next few games.

It’s a common trait of Brunos just to block the opposing player. He rarely jumps for the ball. El Abd used to do it as well. I don’t like it and that was crazy yesterday but I still love the man.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It’s a common trait of Brunos just to block the opposing player. He rarely jumps for the ball. El Abd used to do it as well. I don’t like it and that was crazy yesterday but I still love the man.

If he'd just stood his ground, as he's done countless times before, he'd have blocked the run, we'd have escaped the danger and (probably) won. It was the crazy arm that did for him, and us.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If he'd just stood his ground, as he's done countless times before, he'd have blocked the run, we'd have escaped the danger and (probably) won. It was the crazy arm that did for him, and us.

Well yes of course. That’s why I said he was crazy yesterday. A strong shoulder would have been enough but raise an arm and you’ll get caught. He sails close to the wind with that sort of defending - it’s been highlighted often enough when we’ve been on tv.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I fully expect him to retire in the summer, but this was the first error he’s committed this season. The same can’t be said across the team

You clearly didn't see his 45 minutes at Watford.
He was so embarrassingly poor that CH had to substitute him for Rosenior at HT. He made mistake after mistake, was booked and it was inevitable that a sending off would follow. The manager saved him that indignity.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
You clearly didn't see his 45 minutes at Watford.
He was so embarrassingly poor that CH had to substitute him for Rosenior at HT. He made mistake after mistake, was booked and it was inevitable that a sending off would follow. The manager saved him that indignity.

Granted - I didn't manage to get to Watford.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Have just seen highlights for the first time and I would argue that the penalty does seem harsh. It looks like Bruno put his arm up for protection as Calvert-Lewin was running straight to him and then straight in to him. Definitely not done on purpose but I can see why it was given by a ref looking to give something so the 'big team' wouldn't lose.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

It does concern me somewhat that Bruno, apparently, feels the penalty award was "soft" and that he was "protecting myself and my space". Doesn't sound to me as though he feels he did anything wrong, which is a concern for future games.

Albion defender Bruno questions whether 'soft' penalty would have been given in the other box

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Bruno is very good (normally) at standing his ground in set pieces. It was 1 of the biggest factors in the build up to Hemed's goal against Newcastle.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have just seen highlights for the first time and I would argue that the penalty does seem harsh. It looks like Bruno put his arm up for protection as Calvert-Lewin was running straight to him and then straight in to him. Definitely not done on purpose but I can see why it was given by a ref looking to give something so the 'big team' wouldn't lose.

Did you not see the slo mo on MOTD 2. Clearly raises his elbow and is looking at the player, not the ball. Couldn't be anything other than a penalty, even with blue and white striped tinted glasses on!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here