Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glen Murray

theboybilly

When you're the only man upfront, it's very easy for the defence to catch you offside, especially when a lot of the balls played to Murray came from distance.

Sorry mate I don't agree. An experienced lone striker should have the nous to catch out a defence playing offside. Let them push up on you but just STAY ONSIDE! Any ball played through or over the top will give you the advantage if you show a bit of willing

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Sorry mate I don't agree. An experienced lone striker should have the nous to catch out a defence playing offside. Let them push up on you but just STAY ONSIDE! Any ball played through or over the top will give you the advantage if you show a bit of willing

I see what you're saying but if a long ball is played towards Murray whilst the opposition defence are all pushing up, Murray would then require pace to chase the ball flying over his and Everton's defence's heads. Murray's never been a player who gives the defence a chase. Had Someone like Baldock been playing alongside Murray, Everton's defence playing the offside trap would've been a much bigger risk.

Everton's defensive tactics were spot on when defending against a lone striker who lacks pace.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Hope he is dropped. Would rather have brown up there. Did more in the few mins he was on the Murray did all game.
Never liked Murray lazy waste of space 80% of the time, great player the rest of the time.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

His goals only got us promoted twice. Useless.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I have already said Murray had a shocker today and, in my opinion, he did and should have been subbed earlier. However, most of our squad have had bad games and then done well. Murray has done well for us in the past and always runs his socks off. Let's not write him off or judge him on this game alone.

theboybilly

I see what you're saying but if a long ball is played towards Murray whilst the opposition defence are all pushing up, Murray would then require pace to chase the ball flying over his and Everton's defence's heads. Murray's never been a player who gives the defence a chase. Had Someone like Baldock been playing alongside Murray, Everton's defence playing the offside trap would've been a much bigger risk.

Everton's defensive tactics were spot on when defending against a lone striker who lacks pace.

And therein lies our problem. Sad to say while Glenn is potent at Championship level his star has understandably waned. He rarely wins a heading duel and is well off the pace. I wasn't there today but I've seen enough to think his time is up. I say that with a heavy heart and utmost respect. The PL is all about pace now

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
So it's official. We've at long last found our new scapegoat.

We've really missed Barnes. Glad to see he's finally been replaced.
Don't get too comfortable. Whoever plays up front next will be equally in the firing line should they fail to score winning goals.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So it's official. We've at long last found our new scapegoat.

We've really missed Barnes. Glad to see he's finally been replaced.

You've not been paying attention if you think we've been missing a scapegoat, or 2..

Fingers crossed, like all the others so far this season, GM will soon be ramming negative words down peoples throats.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
I have already said Murray had a shocker today and, in my opinion, he did and should have been subbed earlier. However, most of our squad have had bad games and then done well. Murray has done well for us in the past and always runs his socks off. Let's not write him off or judge him on this game alone.

Very much this. By no means a useless player, but worthy of criticism today.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
One day people will realize it takes a few games to get up to speed

Exactly this. He’s barely played football for 6 months and he needs time and games. If people genuinely believe Hemed is or ever has been a better all round footballer than Murray, then they’re barking mad in my book.

Saying that, he was offside three or four times today needlessly and he did lose the ball on a few occasions too. I thought he was much improved in the second half mind, once we’d decided that our midfield were actually allowed to get forward and support him.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Much of his improvement second half came from better service into him. The supply in the first half consisted of long balls into his general direction which is difficult to deal with for any lone striker, no matter who they are. He improved second half when he played more succinctly and built play through him by playing into his feet and getting runners off him.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Most of us I'm sure had him down as 3rd or 4th choice striker this season but sadly as we seem to only have one striker available and three in total then we're stuck with him for the time being.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
**** me he was woeful today. Perhaps the injury is still playing on him, but he did his best to halt every attack we had today. Painfully slow, offside more than Elvis Manu, kept giving fouls away (In fairness Oliver was giving everything against him). Team did welll overall despite him, though I'm very much looking forward to having Tomer back up front.

Players have off days and today was his.
We have a lot to thank him for.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
:tosser:

I understand how these 'fans' feel. I am a fan. I absolutely love the Albion and to question that of me, based of my observations of the game, I take as ****ing insult. How dare you.
As for your thoughts framed in a sarcastic, condescending post:

I mean, he's paid well to be able to be totally match fit after such a lay off as he's had. Well yes, he is paid well. He's given excellent treatment and physio by the club, but as I previously stated it does indeed take some players time to get back to 100% after an injury. What is irrelevant to his fitness is his concentration and awareness, and he was seriously off the pace today in terms of this. Offside far too much, stalled or completely killed attacks with a poor touch or pass.

Fancy being caught offside so many times against such inexperienced premier league players as Jagielka, Keane Baines and the youngster Holgate? Rather amusingly, you've contradicted yourself by citing "the youngster Holgate" as part of an extremely experienced Premier League defence. Indeed, all of Evertons defence are fine (and some expensive) players, but their quality is irrelevant to how Murray played. He was poor. With someone sharper they may have had a more uncomfortable afternoon.
And despite Everton's quality in defence on paper, they've conceded 12 goals in their last 6 league games. They aren't as rock-solid as you try to pretend.

I disagree with your view, which is absolutely fine, acceptable, healthy even. But don't question my loyalty, my belief in the club.

I see what you did there, you analysed my condescending view and turned it in to an personal, sober, affront on yourself.
Just to clarify, it was an generalised observation on an increasing number of yes, air quotes, fans who expect we should be winning every home game, it wasn't singling you out.
Evertons defence, regardless of including a youngster, is well drilled in the art of defending in the premier league. They may have shifted an out of sorts Williams to the bench, but they're very adept in defending against a deceptively slow thirty odd year old attacker who has just returned from injury.
I have no bother with any Albion fans BTW, more the merrier, there just seems to be a new breed of 'lets play like Arsenal' types

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
No idea what game you were all watching. Murray played very well considering first game back after injury. Held the ball up well and won most headers. So he was offside three times ... not the end of the world.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I thought he played well, won more than his fair share of knock ons and just come back from injury. Some of you are harsh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here