Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glen Murray

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Much of his improvement second half came from better service into him. The supply in the first half consisted of long balls into his general direction which is difficult to deal with for any lone striker, no matter who they are. He improved second half when he played more succinctly and built play through him by playing into his feet and getting runners off him.

Whilst he did improve in the second half, he got behind their defence once and was then tackled before he got a shot away. My worry is, whether up to speed or not, he is just too slow for the premiership. His lack of pace enabled the defender to get back and make the tackle. Chances are slim in the premiership and a striker must make the most of the chances as they come along. Izzy Brown looked much sharper when he came on and offered a better threat. I have no problem with him being on the bench but feel we have better options to start.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
**** me he was woeful today. Perhaps the injury is still playing on him, but he did his best to halt every attack we had today. Painfully slow, offside more than Elvis Manu, kept giving fouls away (In fairness Oliver was giving everything against him). Team did welll overall despite him, though I'm very much looking forward to having Tomer back up front.

I hate to say it, because with Bobby Z and Peter Ward he is one of our trio of centre forward legends, but I think he's past the point of not being a Prem player any more. I say that with a heavy heart and hope I am proved wrong.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whilst he did improve in the second half, he got behind their defence once and was then tackled before he got a shot away. My worry is, whether up to speed or not, he is just too slow for the premiership. His lack of pace enabled the defender to get back and make the tackle. Chances are slim in the premiership and a striker must make the most of the chances as they come along. Izzy Brown looked much sharper when he came on and offered a better threat. I have no problem with him being on the bench but feel we have better options to start.

Agreed....Tomer, Izzy, Glenn in that order for me at the moment.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Felt to me like he just had "one of those days".

He's not got pace so he has to make gambles with his runs and if the pass isn't played at the right moment, he's going to be caught offside. That's not always going to be his fault.

He really troubled Arsenal when he came on but wasn't as effective today. I think he's still got a big part to play for us, and is very capable of playing the same "rough them up a bit" role that Troy Deeney received praise for yesterday, and he's still the best finisher we have.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Walking in treacle most the time

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought it strange that all his offsides were in the first half, being flagged by the west stand lino.
He wasn't offside once in the second half in my recollection. Different Lino, or more cautious?

He's never had pace, but he didn't get a lot of service either. I'm not sure he's fully fit, but due to Hemed's suspension, he's all we've got..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought it strange that all his offsides were in the first half, being flagged by the west stand lino.
He wasn't offside once in the second half in my recollection. Different Lino, or more cautious?

He's never had pace, but he didn't get a lot of service either. I'm not sure he's fully fit, but due to Hemed's suspension, he's all we've got..

He was too knackered by the second half to get far enough forward to be offside

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Had an injection to play today. Nowhere near fully fit. Did a job considering. Cut him some slack. Jesus.

I was not aware of that fact. You have stopped me from complaining about his game today, in fact I will go the opposite way and say he did well to last as long as he did

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Who at Arsenal played up front on his own and was poor.

Glenn is was he is, good at holding the ball up, but lacks pace.

Not at his best today, but not all his fault that he was so isolated.

I don't think anyone has suggested it was all his fault, or indeed actually 'faulted' anyone today.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
How on earth is Murray supposed to function as a striker, on his own up front, when our passing was woeful at times? Everton, although their final ball was lacking a lot of the time, they kept possession. Rarely just lumping it forward. Dunk's passing today was poor. Some the passes were way off. When the ball is given straight back to the opposition as many times as it was today there isn't a striker in the PL who would have been effective.

To single out Murray is crazy.

Put it down to the international break. We got a point.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stephens was worse player on pitch today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which game was you at? Obviously not BHA v Everton. I cannot believe the abuse that Murray is getting and the praise not given to Evertons back line which was excellent and they kept their line and ground very very well. Because he has no pace, granted, he has to try to gain a yard on the back line but they just let him go and didnt rush back when he moved. If you contrast this with our back four who follow any player who pushes up on them rather than let them go. Granted Glenn is not one I would want to start every game but prefer to have him on the bench but I think that he is far better as a target man than TH. He will be helped when Sam Baldock is back to get on to his flicks and knock ons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here