Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Beckham - Legend or one trick pony ?

Well ?

• Legend

Votes: 123 85.4%
  • One trick Pony

Votes: 21 14.6%

• Total voters

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Legend, I also found his documentary on Brazil both moving and thought provoking! Ok that's bull**** but he could hit a ball as sweetly as anyone!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The first professional footballer to realise that on-field performances are secondary to off-field ones.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I've not seen many players able to turn defence into attack as well as Beckham could.

His crossing was top class. His cross-field passing was brilliant not to mention his set-pieces. What technique he had too.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
He was a great player no where near legend status though.Steven Gerrard was far superior to him pinpoint passing freekicks pens tackling blows beckham out the water.i thought it was a joke towards the end of his England career giving caps so he could break the record and the fa could put bums on seats rather than giving younger players the chance.people bang on about the greece game.ffs it was Greece not Italy and as someone else said we were nt out we d have gone into the playoffs.on the flip side seems like a decent bloke

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
England v Greece, October 2001.

Beckham single handedly beat 11 Greeks while being hindered by 10 Englishmen.

Not exactly 'one trick pony' material.

Sums him up. Despite his dreary voice, and his tendency to start every interview with 'as I said earlier' (what? When? FFS?), and his shitehouse club, I absolutely LOVED David Beckham. He delivered time after time. And let's not forget his 'brand' was toxic for several months after the Simeone incident....to turn that around needed extreme indefatigability matched extraordinary performances - and by Christmas he was a national treasure.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The first professional footballer to realise that on-field performances are secondary to off-field ones.

Wrong and wrong. Jimmy Greaves turned himself into a private company for tax purposes - in the 1960s! But like Greaves, Beckham has been able to do off field things (in Greaves' case as you are old enough to remember, have a telly career - till his un-PC gob put pay to it) on the back of his matchday performancs, not t'other way round....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another thing that he gets a lot of respect from me for is his commitment to the national side, despite how it treated him.

With so many players 'retiring' from international football purely for selfish reasons, as they search of one final contract.
Any time between now and his eventual death if England came knocking, he'll have his boots on before he put the phone down.

When out in Dubai, with England, DB was approached to advertise that marina in the sea development, offered all manner shite, including a free apartment.
DB agreed to the deal with one condition, the rest of the team were also offered free apartments.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Wrong and wrong. Jimmy Greaves turned himself into a private company for tax purposes - in the 1960s! But like Greaves, Beckham has been able to do off field things (in Greaves' case as you are old enough to remember, have a telly career - till his un-PC gob put pay to it) on the back of his matchday performancs, not t'other way round....

Can't blame Greaves for doing that, footballers were paid appallingly at that time, the World Cup winning squad got a bonus of just £1000 a man.

Beckham realised he needed England more than England needed him. He took every free kick and corner for England thus slowing the game down and giving defences time to re group and wait for David to steady himself for a pre-kick photo opportunity, this happened10-20 times a game. This paralysed England to the extent that no one else in the England team had the chance to take a free kick to give another option. He didn't even score that many goals anyway !

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Easily the best player nationally we have had for quite a while and was also very proud to captain his country, values rarely seen in football today.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If he is/was one trick then it was a helluva trick.

Ronaldo:

Raul:

Zidane:

Everyday stuff:

He had magic in that right foot and undoubtedly gave his all every time on the pitch. When you think he wasn't even the best England player of his generation....how did we not get past a quarter final?!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Not even close to Scholes, but the latter shunned the limelight. When all the real greats of that era say that Scholes was the best they played against then you should listen.

But the question was is he a legend not was he the best. Both legends of my generation in my humble opinion.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Not going to vote. I can't stand him as a person, self-serving hypocrite... but do think he was a great footballer. One of the best that I can recall from my childhood. Not enough to deserve "legend" status though.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Que? So you can be a legend but not the best in your team (or even third best). So is legend status determined by publicity then? I'm confused.

Of course you can be a legend but not be the best in your team. If only the very best player in a team could be considered as a legend it would mean a team can only have one legend at any one time. For example, only Giggs or Scholes could be considered Man Utd legends as they played at the same time in the same team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here