Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Beckham - Legend or one trick pony ?

Well ?

• Legend

Votes: 123 85.4%
  • One trick Pony

Votes: 21 14.6%

• Total voters

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Following on from the Wayne Rooney thread, Beckham has always seemed to split opinion so ?

(For me, not the most naturally gifted player, but always got the absolute maximum from his abilities - Legend)

If by "one trick pony" you mean his "one trick" was being one of the best players our country has ever produced, being a global brand, making a fantastic life for himself and his family, bankrolling centres of excellence and countless other charities and foundations, appearing in films, being spokesperson for countless charities and brands, inspiring millions of youngsters to take up sport and providing the facilities for them to do so. Need I go on? "One trick pony"? What funkling planet have you been on for twenty years? One trick pony indeed!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Overhyped and overrated, but that has been par for the course for any England players that have shown a modicum of talent since Sky came on the scene. Tried hard, had one good qualifying campaign for England, seems like a nice bloke, but legend, no not for me. Scholes was a far superior player than him.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Would never have seen the likes of Moore or Charlton in a skirt.

beckham-sarong.jpg

Just an average player who played the Press perfectly.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If by "one trick pony" you mean his "one trick" was being one of the best players our country has ever produced, being a global brand, making a fantastic life for himself and his family, bankrolling centres of excellence and countless other charities and foundations, appearing in films, being spokesperson for countless charities and brands, inspiring millions of youngsters to take up sport and providing the facilities for them to do so. Need I go on? "One trick pony"? What funkling planet have you been on for twenty years? One trick pony indeed!

Yes......but apart from all that....what else has he done?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Would never have seen the likes of Moore or Charlton in a skirt.

View attachment 90191

Just an average player who played the Press perfectly.

Pretty much like most England players of the last 40+ years.
Our failure to produce World Class players means we are doomed to be nearly men, always squeezed out by moments of top skill or superior management. We produce good players and once in a while we produce a very good player but that extra touch of class is always missing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

Try reading both lines i wrote (and you quoted!) before going off on one. It wasn't as if i mentioned Fireworks FFS :facepalm: :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Absolute legend. Great, under rated player.

That game against Greece was the best individual performance I've ever seen in 28 years of watching football.

Crazy number of goals and assists and great attitude throughout his career. Showed he had a massive set of cahoonas aswell to come back so strongly from the ridiculous criticism he took after the 98 world cup.

If we had a decent manager instead of Sven he would have led us to a world cup or European championship win that his career deserved. Hero.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Absolute legend. Great, under rated player.

That game against Greece was the best individual performance I've ever seen in 28 years of watching football.

Crazy number of goals and assists and great attitude throughout his career. Showed he had a massive set of cahoonas aswell to come back so strongly from the ridiculous criticism he took after the 98 world cup.

If we had a decent manager instead of Sven he would have led us to a world cup or European championship win that his career deserved. Hero.

It’s amazing how history can be so easily revised.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
A talented footballer who gave it his all for England (especially as captain)- what we'd give for someone like him now

Comes across well- a pretty humble bloke who doesn't take himself too seriously. I imagine his wife was behind much of his media stuff- get the impression he was much happier just playing football

265 games for Man U, 116 for Real and 115 for England- not bad

YEP - A class player & bloke it seems. Always gave his all. Legend.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here