Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we show some respect for Wayne Rooney?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be honest I really couldn't care less about Rooney's off field antics ( except drink driving is pretty despicable ). I just never got the feeling he gave a toss about having an England shirt and his antics in South Africa kind of confirmed that.

You may not like him, and he's not a very likable character. But to say he didn't give a toss about playing for England is a bit daft. He clearly took great pride in playing for his country, he always made himself available whether it be for a qualifier or a two-bob friendly. You don't become the all-time record goalscorer for your country without "giving a toss".

I certainly won't be cheering him tomorrow, but he's had a phenomenal career and you have to be a little small-minded not to acknowledge that.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I think Beckham is one of the most overrated players ever to pull on an England shirt and he cost us more than one important match. He struck a dead ball pretty well, but that's about it. James Ward-Prowse with a better haircut.

Pretty well? I think that's a bit of an understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QyPrwDwko

I don't think Rooney or Beckham were overrated. :shrug:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Rooney's biggest problem was that people wanted and expected him to be better than he was. He was world class for many years, but people expected him to reach the heights of Ronaldo and many seem resentful that he never achieved that. People call him a 'wasted talent' - I don't think so. If you want to see a wasted talent, look no further than Ravel Morrison.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Rooney's biggest problem was that people wanted and expected him to be better than he was. He was world class for many years, but people expected him to reach the heights of Ronaldo and many seem resentful that he never achieved that. People call him a 'wasted talent' - I don't think so. If you want to see a wasted talent, look no further than Ravel Morrison.

Exactly right. Rooney's biggest crime is that he didn't turn out to be as good as we all thought (hoped) he would be. Ok, he didn't turn out to be our answer to Pele, but he was still a great servant to England. Some of the abuse he's getting on here is a bit OTT and unwarranted IMO.

I think I shall clap and cheer him now just to piss off the haters!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
So England are playing away whilst Rooney is doing the same the slag whilst his wife is looking after the kids. Colleen deserves better. Then decides to drink drive some munter back to hers WELL over the limit. Wonder how he planned to get home. Maybe she said he could sleep on her sofa lol

Respect? **** off

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fat ****.

He's not fat yet.....however...

I doubt he'll get much abuse tomorrow because its likely he will be anonymous as per usual.

As others have said, he did **** all for England (unlike 'David') apart from score in friendlies and games that didn't matter. Not fit to lace the boots of the likes of Bobby Charlton or Jimmy Greaves in football terms.

Outside of football...not much of a bloke....plays a lot of playstation... can barely string 5 words together....probably thinks Brexit is a low fat version of Twix. As for the hair transplant.... if a combover was good enough for Bobby Charlton...

I may clap him politely when he's sucked off at 69 minutes. Sorry, subbed off.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've just given him £200. Great bloke. Knocked on the door and promised he'll come round in the morning and clear the gutters, do a bit of pruning, collect the autumn leaves and check me Gran's front and back garden are both in order.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
You may not like him, and he's not a very likable character. But to say he didn't give a toss about playing for England is a bit daft. He clearly took great pride in playing for his country, he always made himself available whether it be for a qualifier or a two-bob friendly. You don't become the all-time record goalscorer for your country without "giving a toss".

I certainly won't be cheering him tomorrow, but he's had a phenomenal career and you have to be a little small-minded not to acknowledge that.

At the risk of being small minded I'd like to jump to the defence of the preceding poster. It's not that I don't acknowledge his career achievements. I simply do not like the man, pure and simple. As regards his South Africa antics, it was his cussing out England supporters after the goalless draw with Algeria that finished off my support of the national team. While we shouldn't simply assume that "minor" nations will roll over for us, it was the lethargic nature of the display that led to the team being booed off the pitch. Some of those supporters had likely paid a considerable proportion of their disposable income to follow the team and had been served up a display completely lacking in passion or guile. Rooney utterly failed to comprehend that dismay and dismissed them like a petulant child. For his pugnacious disregard of dedicated followers he can jolly well do one.

I wouldn't go as far as to boo him. I'd just choose to ignore him and follow my own club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here