Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does any one remember playing Cardiff at home at Withdean on Thursday evening in 2000/1?

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Remember it well. I was there in the south stand. We won 1-0 with a Penalty from Bobby the legend,if my memory serves me right. It was at the height of our mini rivalry with them. Was it moved on police advice?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I remember playing them in Feb 2001 at Withdean, 3pm Saturday, and in monsoon rain, if that helps.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Was that the one where home fans could not walk back up Tongdean lane due to huge numbers of Cardiff fans milling around post match.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Tuesday not Thursday.

5th Dec 2000

LDV Vans Trophy 1st round - southern section

Brighton 2 Cardiff 0
Johnson (13)
Cullip (20)

Referee Mike North

That would be Lee Johnson as well

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Was that the one where home fans could not walk back up Tongdean lane due to huge numbers of Cardiff fans milling around post match.

Same one where all those great etched windows in the Station pub at Preston Park got smashed DURING the game?

That would be the Saturday game in the rain. I seem to recall the small group of Cardiff fans at the LDV game being quite an agreeable bunch and sang throughout the game.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wasn't it the 1-0, Zamora penalty, train tunnel end, pouring rain game? Graham Kavanagh(?) ran the game for them and yet Cardiff didn't look like scoring.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
I didn’t notice the mistake in the OP but you’re definitely right. The 00/01 game was on a Saturday in the rain. We scored early and then Cardiff battered us but couldn’t score. That was a big game. It was the 01/02 game that was on a Thursday, also in the rain I think, but not as much rain as the Tranmere home game we won a couple of weeks later.

The Tranmere Rovers game was the following Tuesday. So it may have been that there was something going on that Saturday.

CheeseRolls

Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Guesswork on my part. Saturday game cancelled due to International call ups.
Earliest rearrangement clashed with the athletics club, hence it was moved to the Thursday.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I went to the "beamback" at Ninian Park to watch it. I didn't cheer when Zamora scored the winner....not outwardly anyway.

:lolol:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Was the times of Zamora vs Earnshaw. Kavanagh was one of the best players I saw at withdean. he also bossed the matches against Wigan (and Stoke)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
From the Argus on December 20 2001 - Taylor plans signing

.... A win will take the Seagulls back to the top of the table after Stoke were held 1-1 at home by Cardiff last night. Daniel Gabbidon's 81st-minute own goal gave the Potters the lead but Dean Gordon replied three minutes later.

The match was brought forward from Saturday to minimise the threat of crowd trouble.

Albion have defended the decision to follow suit by advancing the Withdean clash against Cardiff from Saturday February 2 to Thursday January 31.

Richard Hebberd, the club's safety officer, said: "Following Brighton's game at Cardiff there was concern that a small minority might use the fixture in February as an excuse to cause trouble.

"After consultation between Albion, Cardiff, the Football League and police it was decided to bring the game forward to reduce the risk of any problems."

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Zamora broke through and slid it under Mark Walton - I’ll dig out the video of it tomorrow, but we wore the centenary kit, and it was at the ‘Hammer Net’ end of the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here