Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does any one remember playing Cardiff at home at Withdean on Thursday evening in 2000/1?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Wasn't it the 1-0, Zamora penalty, train tunnel end, pouring rain game? Graham Kavanagh(?) ran the game for them and yet Cardiff didn't look like scoring.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Yes, and that league game in February 2001 was on Saturday at 3pm.

The OP is talking nonsense about the 2000/1 season game being on a Thursday.

D

Deleted User X18H

Yes, and that league game in February 2001 was on Saturday at 3pm.

The OP is talking nonsense about the 2000/1 season game being on a Thursday.

Not really of course. I asked IF anyone remembered such a match.

However it transpires it took place in January 2002.

Job done

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Not really of course. I asked IF anyone remembered such a match.

However it transpires it took place in January 2002.

Job done
It was rhe second part that confused me. And why? Why what? Why did we play Cardiff, why on a Tuesday, why did we win or why do I remember it? Im confused and need to lay down..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Same one where all those great etched windows in the Station pub at Preston Park got smashed DURING the game?

That would be the Saturday game in the rain. I seem to recall the small group of Cardiff fans at the LDV game being quite an agreeable bunch and sang throughout the game.

That's it. It was the Cardiff fans who could not get in that were causing trouble.

Oct 25, 2003
we had a great little rivalry with Cardiff at that time. The season we won Division 3 Zamora scored quite early (going through one on one with the keeper and slotting home). They absolutely battered us but couldn't score- including a moment when they wiped out Mark Cartwright in our goal and having a gaping goal with only either Crosby or Wicks on the line but hit the post. I knew in my heart after that game that we'd win the league- Cardiff came up with us. The following season we again took the lead via Zamora- this time with a penalty and were absolutely battered by Cardiff for the rest of the game. From memory they'd spent a (relatively) large amount of money in both seasons but I have a feeling they only finished sort of mid table in Division 2? I think they may have been promoted the following year. Certainly guys like Kavanagh and Earnshaw were a cut above the rest. Generally that season had a very competitive Division 2 with some fine sides missing out on promotion- QPR, Cardiff and Wigan spring to mind

edit- I'm incorrect- Cardiff lost in the play-offs (was that the "can you stay off the pitch so they can do a lap of honour" game?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001–02_Football_League#Second_Division

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
That's it. It was the Cardiff fans who could not get in that were causing trouble.

Incorrect. 20/30 Cardiff lads left at half time because it was so wet and went to the station pub. Brighton found out, and as they wouldn’t come out the pub they got bottled inside. Unfortunately the old windows did go which was very bad but these things happen. Some photos of the day are in a coffee table book. It was a good rivalry while it lasted.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Remember it very well, Bobby signed a program for me at the next home game against Blackpool, with "Bobby's belter beats Cardiff!" His autograph didn't show up very well, so he signed a card for me as well. Pride of place in my office.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 238

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Maybe it was just being the right age at the right time (13/14) but, no matter what FRAUDS like Messi of Ronaldo do, I will never see a player better than Bobby Zamora in those years.

The guy was literally walking on water (in some soggy games) around defenders made to look like pub players. Wonderful.

It's all good and well sharing the goals around, but a part of me does miss having the one PHENMONEAL talent who is clearly far too good for you.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I remember the match. Didn't Cardiff have Collins and Gabbidon as their centre backs with Graham Kavanagh in midfield and Earnshaw upfront?

Shows you how good our league 2 team was back then considering all those players above went on to play in the Prem and at international level.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is that the night game v Cardiff where we went 1-0 up halfway through the first half? Rocket Man did his thing. His shaft, as it were, fell to earth by the touchline at J Block (embarrassingly, home to the officially-club-sanctioned 'Singing Section' at the time). At which point somebody, possibly The Withdean Screamer, SCREAMED "Shit!! Cardiff are firing ARROWS at us!!!" :eek: He'll be disappointed with that scream :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There was a brief period at Withdean, I think in the year we won the League 1 title under Poyet, that we played 7 games and each on a different day of the week.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
1. Brighton 92 - PREMIER LEAGUE
2. Cardiff 82 - Championship – have been PL
3. Chesterfield :wanker: 80 - Bottom of League 2 – look set for Non League Football - Winners of 2000/01 CJTC of the year award sponsored by brown envelope Luke Beckett
4. Hartlepool 77 - National League
5. Leyton Orient 75 - National League
6. Hull City 74 - Championship – have been PL - Run by a circus
7. Blackpool 72 - League 1 – have been PL - Run by a circus
8. Rochdale 71
9. Cheltenham 68
10. Scunthorpe 65
11. Southend 63
12. Plymouth 58
13. Mansfield 58
14. Macclesfield 56 - Stuck in the conference
15. Shrewsbury 55
16. Kidderminster 53 - Stuck in Non League – went down to the Conference North
17. York 52 - National League North (same level as Whitehawk)
18. Lincoln City 51 - Just got back into the league
19. Exeter 50
20. Darlington 49 - Folded and reformed - just lost to Curzon Ashton in front of 292 people
21. Torquay 49 - Look likely candidates for relegation to National League South
22. Carlisle 48
23. Halifax 47 - Folded and reformed, finally back in the Conference
24. Barnet 45

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Remember that goal so well - we all seemed to become silent as Bobby broke through, and then mayhem
One of the best Withdean memories. Bobby at his lithe, quick thinking best. An intake of breath and a decisive finish, he could do no wrong in our eyes at that time.

One of the noisiest Withdean nights, great stuff!

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here