• Some concerns but will get there in the end

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Some serious concerns

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • Oh Shit

Votes: 84 56.8%

• Total voters

larus

It amazes me how gullible people are to think that the public words being made reflect the reality of what is going on.

The problem is that the EU want us to commit to a large payment, but aren’t prepared to loosen discussions on the trade deal. They want to bully, and I think there’s enough anger/frustration both inside and outside of Westminster for the UK to just say “f*ck it, we’ll go no deal and you can whistle”. Then see the wailing from the EU as their budget plans get screwed.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
From stiff upper lip, Dunkirk spirit, never surrender to ..

nuiAAjwEc

*tut* :facepalm::D

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The EU were never going to make it easy for us.

If it turns out that 5 years in the future this country is doing quite well, like the previous 500 years, then the EU may be in trouble.

Its not like the likes of Greece and others are prospering within it anyway.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I’d love to see us walk away with no deal. Then watch the EU panic as they lose their second biggest contributor and have absolutely nothing coming in to replace it. It just reads to me like they want to bully us on every single issue and aren’t prepared to make any compromises, whereas we already have.

That has to be the best possible definition of cutting your nose off to spite your face. Why would you want to expose our businesses to tariffs and duties when there's a chance to get a deal that gives us at least some of the advantages of the single market and customs union just to annoy the EU? We caused this mess, they didn't.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Of course it's going badly. The Brexiteers were deluded from the outset by insisting the EU DIDN'T hold all the aces.

It will turn out that they're wrong, and we have far more to lose by no deal than they do. Who knew?

It won't matter to Fat Boris or Jacob Poncemby-Smythe of course, they're both multi millionaires who don't need to bother with this "job security" nonsense. It's one for the proles and picaninnies I suspect, eh Fat Fella?
It will go badly because we have poor leadership in this country but also the problem is the EU are doing very little and expect us to bend over backwards for them.

At the end of the day the EU has way to much power and control over every country and this is by far the biggest problem facing Europe.
You may think most of us are deluded but us so called deluded ones don't like an organisation controlling the whole of Europe like it is as this is not what makes for a wonderful Europe.

It's dragging on because we have "remainers politicians" and remoaners doing everything they can to delay things and this naturally means that a certain bunch in Brussels are laughing at us from all angles.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The EU were never going to make it easy for us.

If it turns out that 5 years in the future this country is doing quite well, like the previous 500 years, then the EU may be in trouble.

Its not like the likes of Greece and others are prospering within it anyway.

In its twice-yearly World Economic Outlook, the IMF sharply reduced its UK long-term growth outlook, from an estimated annual growth rate of 1.9 per cent to 1.7 per cent. The forecasts show the UK trailing Greece over the next five years. The IMF is now predicting 11.5 per cent growth in Greece during the period, compared with 10.3 per cent in Britain.

The fund also reduced the UK's growth forecast for this year, by 0.3 percentage points, to 1.7 per cent, while raising the equivalent forecasts for Germany, France and Italy. But in 2018, the IMF expects the UK to grow faster than Italy and France. The forecast is in line with an initial assessment first published in July. - FT

DLyKsEGXcAEInFE.jpg
DLyKK1vW0AA41Jl.jpg

Last edited:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
That has to be the best possible definition of cutting your nose off to spite your face. Why would you want to expose our businesses to tariffs and duties when there's a chance to get a deal that gives us at least some of the advantages of the single market and customs union just to annoy the EU? We caused this mess, they didn't.

The EU are culpable in the vote for Brexit in my view. If Cameron had been offered even a figleaf to enable us to in someway limit immigration from Eastern EU countries I have no doubt Remain would have been won. Ask anyone why they voted leave and Immigration would have been at the top, near the top, or the only thing in their list of reasons

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yeah, the guy who will bend over and take it the EU way. The guy who won’t countenance getting anything in place in case there’s not a deal. I assume you’d be happy to pay 100bln Euros as they have asked.

#itsnevertoolate

#nevergiveuphope

#promotespreadsheetPhil

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
And here we have the obligatory irrelevant 5ways graph :facepalm:

KWbkWQ7.png

“Growth in most of the other advanced economies, with the notable exception of the UK, picked up in the first half of 2017 from its pace in the second half of 2016, with both domestic and external demand contributing,” the IMF said in its World Economic Outlook.

“The UK, where the strong depreciation of the pound since last summer has passed through into higher consumer prices, is an exception to this pattern [of low inflation in other countries].”

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
KWbkWQ7.png

“Growth in most of the other advanced economies, with the notable exception of the UK, picked up in the first half of 2017 from its pace in the second half of 2016, with both domestic and external demand contributing,” the IMF said in its World Economic Outlook.

“The UK, where the strong depreciation of the pound since last summer has passed through into higher consumer prices, is an exception to this pattern [of low inflation in other countries].”

I didn't notice you link to the IMF when they were upgrading their doomsday forecasts post referendum.

How many times does the IMF have to get it wrong before you stop treating their predictions as significant?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The EU are culpable in the vote for Brexit in my view. If Cameron had been offered even a figleaf to enable us to in someway limit immigration from Eastern EU countries I have no doubt Remain would have been won. Ask anyone why they voted leave and Immigration would have been at the top, near the top, or the only thing in their list of reasons

I have. Not one has mentioned immigration. Probably because they'd be embarrassed to appear racist, but there it is.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We caused this mess, they didn't.

We have simply decided to leave their mess of a club, if you are looking for blame look at a political and economic union that is entrenched and beyond any form of serious change or reform(see Camerons deal) and a club that expanded politically and geographically well beyond its original remit and with an arrogance that their way was the only way at the expense of millions who did not agree with it and had little democratic right of redress against it.
That is where your blame lies.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Debatable. This is what all the nutters on the main Brexit thread keep saying, because they support the EU like a football team.

I don't remember any other EU nations holding a referendum about the UK leaving. We did because that fool Cameron assumed he could win it and shut his Eurosceptic loonies up. But he put his usual effort in (i.e. Almost none) and here we are. We caused this by holding a referendum when it wasn't necessary and without any plan for what would happen if the leave voters won.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't remember any other EU nations holding a referendum about the UK leaving. We did because that fool Cameron assumed he could win it and shut his Eurosceptic loonies up. But he put his usual effort in (i.e. Almost none) and here we are. We caused this by holding a referendum when it wasn't necessary and without any plan for what would happen if the leave voters won.

I remember numerous anti-EU parties gaining support across Europe. I also remember UKIP winning the European elections and getting 4 million plus votes in a General election. Even some of our European friends know where some of the blame lies.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

You’re correct. I asked a number of Leavers for their reasons, and besides two people that were relatively well read, for most it came down to immigration. Their reasoning ranged from slight racism to flat out “if we stay, you’ll probably end up having to marry one of those Muslim terrorists Lad”. But then there was a lot of ignorance on both sides.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here