Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] I'm thinking of buying a Camera Drone - advice needed

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Let's join the conversation on NSC 113 years ago 'if those Wright brothers land in my garden I will smash their plane up, those snoopers have no right to try and cross my land'.

The funny thing is that people have been able to fly radio controlled planes for many years and this is just an iteration of the same .

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I have a very cheap drone which was a present. My kids know I am into photography and thought this would act as an extension to that hobby.

Lessons learnt are

-ensure you know the controls
-pick a really massive flat area 400 metres square
-know where the prevalent wind is coming from.

Luckily for me the tree it crashed in was thin enough for me to shake it down.

To me it is a bit of fun and I go out of my way to ensure I try to avoid people

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:bounce:

I'm going to do my full and in depth research (read this thread) after the school run, so forgive me if the answer I'll be looking for is already here:-

I'm thinking of buying a Camera Drone - for my son's 14th birthday.

- Basic
- Cheap.
- Bombproof
- Half decent video
- Easily transportable in a rucksack.

My thought process is that him and his mates might enjoy 'FIFAing' themselves while playing football in the park.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My thought process is that him and his mates might enjoy 'FIFAing' themselves while playing football in the park.

Not sure how FIFAing in the park would be legal

(1) The SUA operator must not cause or permit a small unmanned surveillance aircraft to be flown in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2), and the remote pilot of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly it in any of those circumstances, except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are-

(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;

(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the SUA operator or the remote pilot of the aircraft; or

(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.

(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the remote pilot of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the remote pilot of the aircraft.

(5) In this article, “a small unmanned surveillance aircraft” means a small unmanned aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not sure how FIFAing in the park would be legal

(1) The SUA operator must not cause or permit a small unmanned surveillance aircraft to be flown in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2), and the remote pilot of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly it in any of those circumstances, except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are-

(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;

(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the SUA operator or the remote pilot of the aircraft; or

(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.

(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the remote pilot of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the remote pilot of the aircraft.

(5) In this article, “a small unmanned surveillance aircraft” means a small unmanned aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition.
Thanks for that, although I'm not sure just how small or heavily populated you think our local parks are!

Last edited:

kjgood

Isn't that why they have drone blocking technology now?

I'd suggest the Goring ones are simply people learning to fly them in one of the few flat / open spaces locally where it's safe to do so.

Unfortunately drone blocking software isnt licensed for use in the UK mainland as yet, prisons in the US and one in Guernsey use it currently to prevent drones dropping packages. I look forward to the UK becoming up to date and allowing this software to be used.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How old is he?

It will be his 14th, he only plays football, Fortnight & FIFA.

His presents are always the same, latest FIFA, new Albion shirt, some swanky boots hence wanting something a little different but one that fits in with his narrow world view!!!

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Always a bit bemused by the "if it comes near me I'm going to jump up and down on it" brigade. Going out on a limb here, but I predict that every one of those also drives a white van.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always a bit bemused by the "if it comes near me I'm going to jump up and down on it" brigade. Going out on a limb here, but I predict that every one of those also drives a white van.

Hate cyclists and voted Brexit :lolol: :whistle:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Hate cyclists and voted Brexit :lolol: :whistle:

Not sure if this is any use but spotted in Marks and Spencer today. :)
BF684319-B06E-47D1-9214-DD567456120B.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I got one for Jnr and surprisingly I have a free afternoon to play with his:-

VISUO XS809HW

First impressions of the TOY, is it's fantastic. (but then again I am lost in the 21st century! )

Heeding all the advise I nearly spent £100 ish, all in, on something recommended from Drones Direct, fortunately they were having card issues so I went elsewhere, China in fact.

This cost under £45, which means adding some extra blades, batteries & protectors the whole thing came in at a smidge over £50.

Set up and controls were easy and straight forward, most definitely will be water off a ducks back to a 14 year old.
The picture quality is great.
It seems solid enough even after a couple 'test' crashes.

Sadly I'll hazard a guess this review has come too late for this Christmas, it arrived here just 3 weeks after ordering, but I can certainly see him and his mates having great fun with this in the park.
(While trying to ignore the possibility of what can happen when giving teenage boys a flying camera!)

Last edited:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Whatever anyone does don’t buy a drone or in fact anything from menkind, most of the stuff they sell is cheaply made tat and if anything goes wrong their custom service is amongst the worst I have encountered.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Went for a hike with wifey for a country escape, when low and behold whilst on the track one of these things comes hovering over us, making it's bloody din.
I could see the bloke who was controlling and asked him to do it somewhere else.
He ignored me, so I threw a rock at it, in an attempt to take evasive action, he crashed it into a tree.
He said that I would pay for any damage and I told him to f*** **f and that was that.
Intrusive, noisy and should be banned from public places.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here