Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] 3 times a week......is the average

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Terrible IMHO as no restaurant does a Sunday roast as good as my wife so it is with very heavy heart that I buy one out due to kick off or other unusual circumstances

If you avoid the carvery etc then I reckon you could find a really good Sunday Roast BG.

E.g. My stepmum lives round the corner from The Lion and Lobster and every time we've been there when visiting it's been superb. They even do proper Yorkshire puddings (and we live in Yorkshire).

I'm actually starving now thinking about it.....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What does living in Yorkshire mean as regards the puddings as they are a standard recipe and if made properly will always be the same any where in the country.My wifes always rise a lot and are very light. and her potatoes are soft and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside I am fortunate to have a wife that is such a good cook..

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don’t like eating curry’s out. Saturday night Ruby after a few pints and then unbutton that top button before falling asleep during the 2nd game on Match of the Day.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Dominoes usually after a skinfull after the footy

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Cook from scratch every day of the week.

Better half is enrolled at Slimming World (3 stone down, 2 more to go) and so has to watch what she eats. Therefore we all watch what we eat (would just be too hard for her otherwise - and too much work to cook two different meals).

We have always been pretty good at cooking ourselves rather than eating out but don't even have jars of sauce anymore... everything is made from the basic ingredients now.

We indulge for birthdays/anniversary/etc and then it will be Nandos (she can have the butterfly chicken) , Wagamama or Otello.

My wife was going to slimming world about 1.5 years ago. Everything and I mean everything we ate was from scratch. Bloody loved the food and the time we spent together cooking. I think we need to do it again. The main thing I found was my poo changed drastically and for the better...:mad:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It's getting cheaper to eat out than cook here now, there is huge competition with loads of international dishes to choose from.
I would be interested to find out the number of food outlets compared to the population here in Perth, as they seem to be just about everywhere.
If you pop into a shopping centre on the way home, you can get 2 x freshly cooked Oriental style dishes including rice for $5 as they can't keep it overnight, that's enough for 2 x people for 2.50 pounds, (sorry haven't got a pound symbol on keyboards here).
My weekly grocery bill averages $300 a week, so I may do this more often to try and get it down.

Last edited:

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I eat out usually 4 times a week. One lunch and one dinner during the week with mates, then lunch out with the mrs and kids Saturday and Sunday. Other than that the mrs makes all my meals and lunch box. The type of food will usually be something Asian, or will head to my mates diner for something like spare ribs, lamb shank, duck confit etc.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If you avoid the carvery etc then I reckon you could find a really good Sunday Roast BG.

E.g. My stepmum lives round the corner from The Lion and Lobster and every time we've been there when visiting it's been superb. They even do proper Yorkshire puddings (and we live in Yorkshire).

I'm actually starving now thinking about it.....

me too.............Ditto!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's getting cheaper to eat out than cook here now, there is huge competition with loads of international dishes to choose from.
I would be interested to find out the number of food outlets compared to the population here in Perth, as they seem to be just about everywhere.
If you pop into a shopping centre on the way home, you can get 2 x freshly cooked Oriental style dishes including rice for $5 as they can't keep it overnight, that's enough for 2 x people for 2.50 pounds, (sorry haven't got a pound symbol on keyboards here).
My weekly grocery bill averages $300 a week, so I may do this more often to try and get it down.

$300! For how many people?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
(sorry haven't got a pound symbol on keyboards here).

Hold down the Alt key, on the numerical keypad press 0163, then release the Alt key. Launch Character Map and copy the character to the clipboard.

I had to learn how to do it on my USA mate's laptop.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We used to get a Dominos from time to time and although we'd never pay their supposed full price, due to the numerous vouchers and discount codes floating about, it was still quite pricey. Now we just get one made at the pizza counter in Tesco. A 14 inch pizza with 4 toppings, and they'll throw on as many jalapenos as I ask for, is about £3.70.

Don't bring [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] into the conversation about pizza though.

Actually in fairness the deli counter pizza's you mention at the supermarkets are great value, and if I'm shopping and can't be arsed to cook when I get in then I've hoovered up one of those on more than one occasion. It just further underlines what a complete and utter RIP OFF a pizza is from Pizza Hut, Dominos et-al when you order or eat out. I'm always agog at the prices they charge for what is essentially cheese on toast with a few bits on.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What does living in Yorkshire mean as regards the puddings as they are a standard recipe and if made properly will always be the same any where in the country.My wifes always rise a lot and are very light. and her potatoes are soft and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside I am fortunate to have a wife that is such a good cook..
You're a humorless old git sometimes aren't you.

I was just pointing out that if you go to the right places then you will be able to find a Sunday roast that has perfect Yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes done the way you like them.

The hundreds of threads where you've mentioned chain pubs and carveries indicate to me that you probably aren't looking in the right places when it comes to finding a roast as good as the one your wife makes. Not that I doubt that her cooking is excellent.

It's like talking to Mr Logic from Viz sometimes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You're a humorless old git sometimes aren't you.

I was just pointing out that if you go to the right places then you will be able to find a Sunday roast that has perfect Yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes done the way you like them.

The hundreds of threads where you've mentioned chain pubs and carveries indicate to me that you probably aren't looking in the right places when it comes to finding a roast as good as the one your wife makes. Not that I doubt that her cooking is excellent.

It's like talking to Mr Logic from Viz sometimes.

Sorry I took your post wrongly and to mean that because you come from or live in Yorkshire, you are therefore an authority on Yorkshire Puddings. My apologies.

As regards buying a roast yes on the very few times a year that I buy one out it is at a carvery rather than a restaurant as I cannot see the point in paying the earth for something that my wife can cook as well as or possibly better at home. When I go to a restaurant I like to buy something that is different from my everyday meals at home and a roast does not come in that category.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sorry I took your post wrongly and to mean that because you come from or live in Yorkshire, you are therefore an authority on Yorkshire Puddings. My apologies.

Yeah it was meant to be funny. I do live in Yorkshire and a lot of them do like to think that they are the authority on everything. Including Yorkshire puddings. No worries. :)

As regards buying a roast yes on the very few times a year that I buy one out it is at a carvery rather than a restaurant as I cannot see the point in paying the earth for something that my wife can cook as well as or possibly better at home. When I go to a restaurant I like to buy something that is different from my everyday meals at home and a roast does not come in that category.

That's fair enough. My wife always says that she wont order anything that she couldn't make herself, but this is a rather limiting exercise. E.g. she makes an amazing seafood risotto but that's not to say that a seafood risotto from a good Italian restaurant wont be completely different to hers and also really nice. But I get what you're saying.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
$300! For how many people?

5, the wife and myself,3 kids, their mates when they come up, a cat and a newly adopted dog.
The $300 shop is done on Friday by wifey, but I still have to get more stuff on the way home from work ususally, during the week.
My wife is a sucker for 'new age' stuff and products with famous chefs names on.
It has to have 'Jamie's' name on it or contain quinoa or other stuff of that ilk.
When she was in England for 5 weeks I managed to get the weekly shop down to around $180, I was obviously buying 'crap', was the response when I informed her on her return.
I used to drive a short distance to the nearest mall where Aldi, Coles and Woolworth are all together and I'd share out the shop between them.
She spends nearly a whole day driving to two or three different malls to do the shop and treats it like some kind of science.
She won't buy the new products that I introduced on principle and has gone back to type.
Given up trying to explain how much easier it is to go to just the one mall etc.
I think she felt a bit threaten on my intrusion into her domain and the use of a common sense approach so I just pay the piper now and do as I'm told.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here