Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] 3 times a week......is the average

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I get a generous amount of the Cz equivalent of luncheon vouchers on a card. Have started to eat out most nights as its cheaper, and doesnt involve me doing anything other than drinking a beer whilst I wait for the food. Think its different here with a large amount of cheap and cheerful restuarants that do great food for money.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
We're similar. Well, I say we but it's my wife who cooks everything from scratch. She's a brilliant cook. Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Indian, Bulgarian etc. She's got about 100 recipe books. We eat well.

Still have the occasional take away but much less often than when we were younger.

Oh and **** Nando's btw, it's utter shite and massively overpriced.

Completely agree with the Nando's comment (It's just the same as KFC in my opinion - and honestly, if you are eating from a "bucket", you need to look at your diet!)... but the options are severely limited so sometimes I have to put up with it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
How often can you and your wife manage it? You don't mind my asking?
Not at all. Not at all. About average, since you asked.
Average?
Mm-hm.
What would be average?
Well, you tell me. Ha-ha.
Well, um... couple of times a year?
What?
Once a year? Well, we knew it must be difficult. My wife couldn't see how you could manage it at all.
Well, as you've asked, two or three times a week, actually.
A week?
Yes. Pretty normal, isn't it? We're quite normal down here in Torquay, you know.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
However....
We had a lad in court once who had put down an exact amount on his means form (something like £48.40 for food rather than the usual round amount). Curious I asked him how he could be so specific and he said he had a KFC for dinner and tea every day.

I do the accounts for a mate and he puts everything through his company account (meaning it's a pig of a job for me but that's by the by) including food.

I don't think he or his family ever use their kitchen as he has lunch from McDonald's or KFC every day and EVERY day there is also a bill for one of the chain restaurants like Nando's or Zizzi for an amount which is clearly for all of them having their tea.

How he isn't a massive fat ******* I have absolutely no idea.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Blimey.

We've had a bad few weeks with a few celebrations/get togethers/busy days where we have probably had 2 or 3 takeaways/meals out each week over the last 3. That is well up on our average and I have felt SO FAT and LETHARGIC from it.

I couldn't imagine that being my usual average. From a health or financial point of view.

Similar. 3 takeaways in a week would leave me feeling ill. And I'm not an especially healthy person anyway. I cannot believe that is the average, i.e. some people must have 5-6 a week, to balance out to 0-1 a weeks. Crazy.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Thu evening is normally me and Mrs OW at a local restaurant, Friday is normally family meal at the Italian in Arundel, Saturday in, unless around someone's house for dinner or at ours and occasional a Sunday lunchtime carvery.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ordering a takeaway is usually once every 1-2 weeks, but sometimes if I'm out with a friend we'll grab something but it varies.

I'm not counting eating at work, as one of my jobs is in Retail so it's like a (miserable) home from home.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Thu evening is normally me and Mrs OW at a local restaurant, Friday is normally family meal at the Italian in Arundel, Saturday in, unless around someone's house for dinner or at ours and occasional a Sunday lunchtime carvery.

I reckon BG's carvery visits are skewing the national average.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont know who they interviewed for this survey as I do not kn ow of anybody who eats out or has take awy that often. None of my family or friends do. Had they included take away convenience foods from a supermarket like curry pizza etc I would have believed it unless of course they interviewed the wealthy or high earners of our society.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Apart from when we are away on holidays, myself and Mr NB will eat out about once a month , and get a fish and chip takeaway once every couple of months, so well below the average, however we have a friend who has take away or eats out most of the time, and probably cooks only 1 or 2 times a week(and that's probably ready meals). Strangely enough he is always complaining he has no money and the greedy Tory government has taken all his money and its not fair. blah blah blah. (Of course the two are not related in any way!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Pizzas are a massive rip off did some work for a smallish non franchise pizza place and he told me on a bad week he cleared £5k Dominos are just coining it and it tastes like rubber to me.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Pizzas are a massive rip off did some work for a smallish non franchise pizza place and he told me on a bad week he cleared £5k Dominos are just coining it and it tastes like rubber to me.

When you think a Domino Pizza delivery can be £30 for a couple of pizzas (*so I've been told ;-) ) and you can make them for less then a tenth of that.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Once a month, very rarely more than that.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I used to get a takeaway every Friday night but since I've quit drinking I've found my drunken ordering of takeaways has gone right down as well.

Same, when I gave up drinking for 6 weeks I didn't have a single take away, now I'm drinking again, it's at least once a week

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We eat out Wednesday night and Saturday night every week with family.
Gives me two or three hours respite while they take responsibility for my wife who has dementia.
She enjoys it and it's a real lifeline for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here