Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bobby Charlton at 80.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A true legend. I remember as a very young lad thinking Bobby Charlton played for Charlton (I also thought, having seen Denis Law wearing a Scotland shirt on a football card, that Man United played in dark blue)

They did when it mattered.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd have loved to see him in the modern game. His 30 yard thunderbolt against Mexico is in my all - time Top 5 goals, and that was when pitches were poor, boots were workmanlike and the ball was like a lead weight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A true legend. I remember as a very young lad thinking Bobby Charlton played for Charlton (I also thought, having seen Denis Law wearing a Scotland shirt on a football card, that Man United played in dark blue)

Time you got a grip, then :lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Hmmm. I'm probably swimming against the tide but I've always thought he was a bit of a dick. Team Jacky fo sho.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I remember seeing Bobby Charlton playing against us at the Goldstone for Preston North End. They beat us 4-0 and he rang rings round us.

The date was 19th October 1974 so would have been just eight days after his 37th birthday. Coincidentally that would have been almost exactly the same age as Bruno is now who had his 37th birthday 10 days ago.

I wonder if Bruno had been playing in the early 70s whether he would have gone for the combover look. This iconic photo was taken when Charlton was playing for Preston North End so might have even been taken at the Brighton match. Looking at it I think Bruno was fortunate to be playing in a totally different era.
ace6d9deafe39e82078124a28e5ba4f3--preston-north-end-bobby-charlton.jpg

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I remember seeing Bobby Charlton playing against us at the Goldstone for Preston North End. They beat us 4-0 and he rang rings round us.

The date was 19th October 1974 so would have been just eight days after his 37th birthday. Coincidentally that would have been almost exactly the same age as Bruno is now who had his 37th birthday 10 days ago.

I wonder if Bruno had been playing in the early 70s whether he would have gone for the combover look. This iconic photo was taken when Charlton was playing for Preston North End so might have even been taken at the Brighton match. Looking at it I think Bruno was fortunate to be playing in a totally different era.
View attachment 90137

I was at that match too and he certainly did run rings round us. Even though we were soundly beaten it was a pleasure to watch a (the?) England legend play. I think Nobby Stiles may have been alongside him in midfield. One of many things lost to the game is world class professional footballers dropping down a division or two in the last years of their careers.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

View attachment 90137

Remember it so well .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Rude miserable c*nt on the 2 occasions I've seen him with the public.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

View attachment 90137
I remember that match. Even as a 7 year old, I was aware of his pedigree. The chicken run was appreciative of his talents that day in spite of the scoreline.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Set a great example. Saw him at my first top flight game. Crystal Palace v Man United. I think 2-4 and Best Law and Charlton scored. Got tickets from Palace goalkeeper who lived in Hangleton

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Always comes across as a 'Don't you know who I am?' type. Might be wrong. :shrug:

Met him in 1990 when my son won a place on one of his soccer schools. Really nice doen to earth bloke who happily sat with me to chat during one of the breaks. You get a bit awestruck and he must get the same questions time and time again. I think we chatted mostly about the poor standard of driving - he had experienced some clot that morning. A great man and great player. If he gets arsey now and again - don't we all. If I had to live with what he went through I think I'd be a psychological wreck. Did you see the BBC programme the other night?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
As someone who grew up with mid 90's football as my first experience, I often struggle to comprehend how good the past greats were when watching footage back. There are only a few where I've watched the footage and think "bloody hell, even in todays fast paced game they would be amazing". Charlton was one.

Is it the Mexico goal where he just GLIDES through the pitch and then thinks "**** it" and SMASHES the thing. Brilliant.

You wonder how insane he would be on today's flat pitches with a ball half the weight.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I was watching ESPN Classic (I think that was the channel but not important) a few weeks ago and it was Chelsea v ManU from 1971 I think. Manu had a corner from the left and Charlton strolls over and whips an in-swinging corner into the box, right on the money, with his right foot.. Well cleared by Chelsea to be fair for another corner from the other side. He then jogs over and does the exact same corner with his left foot. It just struck me that not many players could do that, jeez some have enough problems taking a corner with their 'decent' foot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here