Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] HOW will England fail at Russia 2018?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the entire team will be caught up in a scandal involving three russian hookers , a donkey and some vaseline....this will all be acceptable but the fact they are all chugging on duty free cohiba's which prove to be fake and therefore contraband will result in the team being held in custody leaving oxo chambermaid and john stones to play our first game against germany on their own .......fifa , in a moment of empathy , allow southgate to play rush goalie.....we lose our first game 8-0 .....danny wellbeck and eric dier are executed and in a moment of utter confusion their bodies are flown to cuba for burial......you cooont make it up .......second game an english team is fielded from the travelling support.....we go down gallantly to argentina 2-0....both penalties tsk tsk .....:yawn: : snooze:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Drawn in a group with Argentina who have maximum points from their first 2 games, England need a win in the final group game to progress.

To avoid suspensions in Round 2, Argentina play Lionel Messi as a one man team after he declares that he could beat England on his own. In a frantic finale, England lay siege to the Argentina goal but can't find the winner they need despite Messi being sent off in the 58th minute.

:lol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
On a tangent, which was the last game in a major tournament when you watched England and thought "we can bloody win this!".

The tournament I mean, not just winning the game in question.... I'm struggling.

When Owen scored v Brazil in 2002 maybe?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
On a tangent, which was the last game in a major tournament when you watched England and thought "we can bloody win this!".

The tournament I mean, not just winning the game in question.... I'm struggling.

When Owen scored v Brazil in 2002 maybe?

Italia '90 we even had the krauts running scared for a while, I remember Gazza just failing to connect with a cross with only the keeper to beat, great team.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I can confidently predict that not a single player or member of the England staff will crack a smile for the entire duration of the tournament. The usual fayre of deadpan, monosyballic and passionless interviews will be followed by equally uninspiring football. Someone in Bolton will actually die of boredom during the opening England match causing warnings to be displayed before every subsequent match played (i.e 2 or 3 more matches). If we've got anyone half decent they will get injured just before the tournament and still get selected and play 75% fit, they will be pony and become the new hate figure for the brain dead england fans. Meanwhile, Argentina who these days are decidedly average will be carried single handed to the final by Messi, winning every game 1-0 before predictably losing to the Germans who will win the tournament at a canter due to fielding a team of footballing robots. Sepp Blatter will Koof it during the tournament giving everyone a momentary ray of sunshine.

Ultimately we will be shit, we're always shit and will continue to be shit at major tournaments

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Italia '90 we even had the krauts running scared for a while, I remember Gazza just failing to connect with a cross with only the keeper to beat, great team.
That was Euro 96, in extra time. The grey kit and he just held his run and missed by about an inch......wasn't it? Would have been a "golden goal" too. Sure it was that game.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That was Euro 96, in extra time. The grey kit and he just held his run and missed by about an inch......wasn't it? Would have been a "golden goal" too. Sure it was that game.

My mistake, you are correct, mixing up my "Heroic Failures ".

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The competition is going to be a washout.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Interestingly it was only a few years later the Germans realised they had problems and started to develop the system which delivered the last World Cup.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Interestingly it was only a few years later the Germans realised they had problems and started to develop the system which delivered the last World Cup.

True. Around the time that they realised their best striker was Carsten Jancker? Something had to be done.

Around the same time (well 1998 definitely) we had the best England squad I've ever seen. Things have gone really well since then........

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Euro 96. It felt like it was written in the stars. Then we lost on Pens.

We may have got to the semis in 90 but we stunk the place out. Hopeless against Ireland in a game that was league 1, lucky against Egypt we somehow fluked an open draw. We huffed and puffed past a Belgium team who did everything but score thanks to the only bit of skill in the game from Platty, did our best to lose against Roger Millers pensionable Cameroon and really only played well in games we didn't win (Holland and Germany).

The last tournament I was satisfied with is 2002. Took the Germans apart in qualifying ('ein funf in your back yard son' as we told our German work colleague), negotiated a rock hard group knocking the Argies out and took apart a Denmark team who topped thier group before getting done by a Brazilian team who won it. We should have won Euro 2004 and have been hopeless ever since. Scott Parker, Upson and Gareth Barry to name but 3 who have regularly started for England but are Sunday league at the top level. Oh to go out on Penalties again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here