Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brighton Women vs Yeovil in Continental Cup 7.45pm tonight @ Lancing

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
We did.

That, aside from the fact they're in the top division in the country when we're not, ought to give some indication as to how far the women's team has come over the past 2-3 years.

Yeovil in the top division? Well I never...

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I still reckon you'll make it to Lancing one day to watch them. Just out of curiosity. :p

My take on it is - if you support one Brighton & Hove Albion team, it makes no sense not to support them all...

Nah...Not my cup of tea... Nice to hear them doing well but I won't be watching them!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is it though?

Yup.

Don't you find yourself comparing it to the men's game? From what I've seen it's slower and there are many more individual errors.

Be interested in your views.

It's a pointless gesture to compare it to the men's senior game at Premier League or even Football League level.

In terms of individual errors, I see just as many at non-League level for the men. The slower pace (and even then it's fairly fast when you watch it live from pitchside) allows for more individual skill and creativity which, in the Albion team, is in abundance, alongside a good team ethic and high workrate. There was a sub playing for Yeovil who was fast - was told she can do the 100m in 13s; not many blokes can do that, so there is at least some pace out there too.

Bigtomfu's point earlier on (or maybe in the Hope Powell thread) about goalkeepers is a genuine point, and there are no technically gifted keepers who could keep a superior team at bay in the way the likes of Ryan or Stockdale could.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Yup.

It's a pointless gesture to compare it to the men's senior game at Premier League or even Football League level.

In terms of individual errors, I see just as many at non-League level for the men. The slower pace (and even then it's fairly fast when you watch it live from pitchside) allows for more individual skill and creativity which, in the Albion team, is in abundance, alongside a good team ethic and high workrate. There was a sub playing for Yeovil who was fast - was told she can do the 100m in 13s; not many blokes can do that, so there is at least some pace out there too.

Bigtomfu's point earlier on (or maybe in the Hope Powell thread) about goalkeepers is a genuine point, and there are no technically gifted keepers who could keep a superior team at bay in the way the likes of Ryan or Stockdale could.
OK, fair enough.

Out of interest, what's the average attendance at these games?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
OK, fair enough.

Out of interest, what's the average attendance at these games?

Hard to say. I'd guess there were about 300 there last night.

The Albion Women haven't had a home league match since April 2016 (aside from the match against Durham on 1 Oct - which kicked off at exactly the same time as the Brighton v Arsenal match). I think about 700 came to that. About 500 came to the Play-Off final at Wycombe.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Do you think playing at Lancing helps or hinders attendance? There aren't many seats or cover, but you are very close to the pitch! I did wonder if maybe they would play at the training ground when they got promoted to WSL 2 but I guess that was never the plan.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Do you think playing at Lancing helps or hinders attendance? There aren't many seats or cover, but you are very close to the pitch! I did wonder if maybe they would play at the training ground when they got promoted to WSL 2 but I guess that was never the plan.

I don't think the plan is to allow much general public access to the training ground.

Culver Road ticks some boxes. It's near a train station and several bus stops. It has a reasonable tea bar. It has a 3G pitch.

One thing I believe the club must adhere to if they wish to have professional women's football is play at a venue with a 2,000-capacity, that has the capability of being expanded to 5,000. Not sure if that is written in stone - just heard it on good authority. Probably do-able at Culver Road.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think the plan is to allow much general public access to the training ground.

Culver Road ticks some boxes. It's near a train station and several bus stops. It has a reasonable tea bar. It has a 3G pitch.

One thing I believe the club must adhere to if they wish to have professional women's football is play at a venue with a 2,000-capacity, that has the capability of being expanded to 5,000. Not sure if that is written in stone - just heard it on good authority. Probably do-able at Culver Road.

Fair enough.

I know the Mens Under-23 team play some of their matches at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre (they have two there in October that you can buy tickets for) so it is possible and it has more existing seating though I can't find out what the actual capacity is.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fair enough.

I know the Mens Under-23 team play some of their matches at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre (they have two there in October that you can buy tickets for) so it is possible and it has more existing seating though I can't find out what the actual capacity is.

As a general rule, the Women's team is the second-best supported team at the club in terms of attendance, with one exception - when the U23s play in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Additionally, it appears Spence is having one of his meltdowns on this thread. For someone who says he doesn't care about women's football, his petulant Thumbs Downs across this thread would normally imply he knows what he's on about - when the truth is, but his own admission, he doesn't. It appears he can't help himself. I'll expecting the tedious predictability another Thumbs Down on this post too. To be fair, he's not the only person who comes on to women's football threads to repeatedly make out that he doesn't care about women's football.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
To be fair, he's not the only person who comes on to women's football threads to repeatedly make out that he doesn't care about women's football.

I just don't get why people do that. If you don't care about the subject, don't open the thread or post about it... (now expecting a thumbs down on this post too ;) )

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here