Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] UEFA Nations League

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Impossible to understand the full mechanics, though I'm led to believe that it simply replaces friendlies with a quasi-competitive game against a team of roughly equivalent standing which can only be a good thing.

Reminds me of the current edition of Viz which has a fantastic double competition feature where they spend a whole page explaining the ridiculously over complex rules.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Impossible to understand the full mechanics, though I'm led to believe that it simply replaces friendlies with a quasi-competitive game against a team of roughly equivalent standing which can only be a good thing.

Reminds me of the current edition of Viz which has a fantastic double competition feature where they spend a whole page explaining the ridiculously over complex rules.

I think it needs this:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I think it is basically a good idea but the machinations of it are pretty opaque right now. I think it is good for the lower tier teams but I don't think it's going to lead to any more competitive games amongst the top tier teams.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
:mad:so this takes over completely from friendlies? cant play Brazil or Japan or whoever because all friendlies have to be in League 1? confused :shrug:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Not that hard, people!

The UEFA Nations League explained - Imgur.png

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
I think this is a good idea BUT if there are 3 team leagues, you will always have 1 team with no fixture each matchday. Therefore, a friendly against whoever will be arranged.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
:clap:

I was totally taken in for a while. I honestly thought that teams with a pass completion of 40% had an extra competition. It is UEFA after all.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This is running alongside the qualifiers for Euro 2020?

So is this instead of Euro 2020 qualifying?
No, that would be too simple. Euro 2020 qualifying is set back until March 2019 and will end in November 2019. But the Nations League will a) decide the seedings for the Euro 2020 qualifiers and b) provide another route to the tournament, with four non-qualifiers being given another chance according to their Nations League rankings. We will come back to this later, but the important information is that these games are instead of friendlies rather than instead of qualifying.

Right, so that all sounds fair enough, if a little pointless. What was that stuff about Euro 2020 qualifying?
Only 20 of the participating 24 teams (yes, 24, yes it is ridiculous) in Euro 2020 will be decided by the usual qualifying process, with the top two teams in each of ten groups qualifying for the tournament, which is being held across Europe.

So the final four places at Euro 2020 will come from each of the four leagues, with play-offs (of course) to decide those four teams. Remember the groups? Well, the winners of each group (if they have not already qualified for Euro 2020) will play one-off semi-finals against each other (at the home of highest-ranked team) before a play-off final to be held at a pre-determined venue in March 2020.

If the winners of the groups have already qualified for Euro 2020 (as is likely in League A), they will keep going down the groups until they find enough teams for the play-offs. And if they cannot find enough teams for the play-offs from a certain league (as is likely in League A), then they will go and grab some teams from a lower league to make up the numbers.

This means that the usual Euro 2020 qualifying competition will actually only irretrievably knock out 19 countries; 20 will qualify as group winners or runners-up and another 16 will go through to those UEFA Nations League play-offs.

It does sound like it might be designed to ensure that no big country ever misses out on a European Championship place again…
It does, doesn’t it? Though we expect the Netherlands to manage somehow.

But wait a minute, does it also mean that a League D side is guaranteed a place at Euro 2020?
It does indeed. Which means one of Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Belarus etc will get a place. Which is making us think that it might be worth Scotland getting relegated to give themselves a chance of making it to Euro 2024, by which time they might have got a bit taller.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
So is this instead of Euro 2020 qualifying?
No, that would be too simple. Euro 2020 qualifying is set back until March 2019 and will end in November 2019. But the Nations League will a) decide the seedings for the Euro 2020 qualifiers and b) provide another route to the tournament, with four non-qualifiers being given another chance according to their Nations League rankings. We will come back to this later, but the important information is that these games are instead of friendlies rather than instead of qualifying.

Right, so that all sounds fair enough, if a little pointless. What was that stuff about Euro 2020 qualifying?
Only 20 of the participating 24 teams (yes, 24, yes it is ridiculous) in Euro 2020 will be decided by the usual qualifying process, with the top two teams in each of ten groups qualifying for the tournament, which is being held across Europe.

So the final four places at Euro 2020 will come from each of the four leagues, with play-offs (of course) to decide those four teams. Remember the groups? Well, the winners of each group (if they have not already qualified for Euro 2020) will play one-off semi-finals against each other (at the home of highest-ranked team) before a play-off final to be held at a pre-determined venue in March 2020.

If the winners of the groups have already qualified for Euro 2020 (as is likely in League A), they will keep going down the groups until they find enough teams for the play-offs. And if they cannot find enough teams for the play-offs from a certain league (as is likely in League A), then they will go and grab some teams from a lower league to make up the numbers.

This means that the usual Euro 2020 qualifying competition will actually only irretrievably knock out 19 countries; 20 will qualify as group winners or runners-up and another 16 will go through to those UEFA Nations League play-offs.

It does sound like it might be designed to ensure that no big country ever misses out on a European Championship place again…
It does, doesn’t it? Though we expect the Netherlands to manage somehow.

But wait a minute, does it also mean that a League D side is guaranteed a place at Euro 2020?
It does indeed. Which means one of Azerbaijan, Macedonia, Belarus etc will get a place. Which is making us think that it might be worth Scotland getting relegated to give themselves a chance of making it to Euro 2024, by which time they might have got a bit taller.
Cheers :thumbsup:

edit: does this mean England will get the finals in 2019 to make up for not getting a World Cup or Euro tournament :D D:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So for England this will mean playing 6 games in Sep - Nov then - if successful - 1 or 2 games in June.

On the plus side:

1. No more meaningless friendlies.
2. Better marketing opportunity for England as a structured tournament will attract sponsors so more money for the FA.
3. A chance to win some silverware - a lucky group draw, i.e. England, Switzerland, Iceland could see you in the semi-finals.

On the negative side:

1. Less chance for friendlies against non-European countries like Brazil, Argentina.
2. Fixture congestion in Sep - Nov. Nightmare for domestic league - 6 international games in a 13-week window, with attendant injuries / loss of focus for players.

I can't see the Premier League being happy about this. With the new transfer window there will be a whole host of players changing clubs in late July with barely 2 weeks of pre-season training. The season proper will start in August, then be disrupted by the international group stages until November. If you then have a bad winter with postponements the season might not get going until Christmas or later.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I’ve always liked the idea of an international league as it gives a better measure of a country’s ability to create a strong squad rather than a team.

The fact that 4 teams get relegated from league A means no one will field weakened teams and there’s actually something to play for, ie, we won’t see 7 subs at halftime and all the players jogging around for the last half hour.

Have a couple of bad games in league A and next time round you could be deemed on a level with Estonia, or even worse, Scotland.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Will this do away with us playing the usual whipping boys in a Friendly? We need to be playing more competitive friendlies anyway IMO so this can only be a good thing

Like Germany and Brazil? I think you will find teams in qualifying are more like whipping boys it's just we don't whip them. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here