Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Switzerland

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yep. See my initial response - I dropped the good chocolate comment due to HT's statement that he doesn't like chocolate.

Toblerone? Food of the gods.

Lots of countries can claim good chocolate, but only 1 can claim Toblerone.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Considering their gerrymandering of the rankings, I hope they draw the best team in the unseeded part of the draw and lose.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You can't really take the Alps out of Switzerland.

I and Mrs DiS spent a few days in Switzerland in our Motorhome two summers ago. We stayed in a place called Vistnau by Lake Lucerne. On one day we went by boat across the Lake to Lucerne, spent the day in Lucerne and then came back making sure we were on a time which was scheduled to be a paddle steamer. Beautiful day weatherwise, stunning Scenery and Lucerne was beautiful..... and interesting. What's not to like.

But it was very expensive!

I had two holidays in Vitznau in the early 80's, cheapo staff offers when I worked at Amex.
Thought it was great, especially the funicular railway up mount Rigi and watching the jet fighters on manouvers racing through the valleys below us. also the little 4-man cable cars are fun.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Yep. See my initial response - I dropped the good chocolate comment due to HT's statement that he doesn't like chocolate.

Toblerone? Food of the gods.

I bought a bar (smallest possible to save money) on Sunday in Zermatt, after getting great view from higher up of the Matterhorn. Because the mountain's image is on the wrapper, I assumed chocolate was made in the area but it's made miles away, in Bern. Lots of different types (chocolate, nuts) on sale but all expensive. Btw I coudn't stop humming the 'Toblerone, out on its own' song from the TV advert of decades ago

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
True. But to me the only good thing about Switzerland is the alps. And these are not unique to Switzerland. And Geneva and Zurich are very dull cities.

I think I would have to agree with you there....

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I'm guessing that Italy, Croatia, Sweden and Switzerland will be the seeded teams in the WC play offs. From a Northern and Republic of Ireland perspective as long as they avoid Croatia and Italy they'll stand a fair chance of qualifying. Italy have been pretty poor recently, though most would expect them to get to the World Cup. It might take a dodgy decision or two:whistle:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm guessing that Italy, Croatia, Sweden and Switzerland will be the seeded teams in the WC play offs. From a Northern and Republic of Ireland perspective as long as they avoid Croatia and Italy they'll stand a fair chance of qualifying. Italy have been pretty poor recently, though most would expect them to get to the World Cup. It might take a dodgy decision or two:whistle:
Yeah Italy will get there and despite being poor in qualifying will get to the semi final, probably battering England along the way. It's just the way of things.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bit unlucky to have won nine out of ten and not yet qualified

I'm actually in Switzerland at the moment and that was the headline of the front page story in the paper I read.

I've not been overly impressed with Switzerland when I've been before, but this time I'm in Basel and it's quite a cool place.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm actually in Switzerland at the moment and that was the headline of the front page story in the paper I read.

I've not been overly impressed with Switzerland when I've been before, but this time I'm in Basel and it's quite a cool place.

Fasnacht in Basel in 1984 was a good 72 Hour drinkathon for me. Now I'm more of a trekking and skiing in the Alps type.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Jul 7, 2003
I visit Switzerland for work regularly. It is a beautiful country but is bound by some strange rules. Mate of mine was fined for putting out his rubbish too early recently, another was warned for flushing the toilet too late at night.

It is great to out there for Carnival. I was in Luzern the other year and there were fantastic parades, bands, people partying in the street drinking JaegerTea - tea with Jaegermeister in it. They party through the night and yet the following morning, the streets are spotless and the only things to remind you of the carnival is the confetti stuck to your shoes and the hangover.

Public transport is all linked so buses connect with trains. Local trains connect with express services and services held to maintain connections rather than leave you watching your train disappear as you get on the platform.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Not at all. I'm a city person and, generally I can find something good in most cities, but Geneva, Zurich do not excite me. I'm staying in Geneva for a day early next year so if anyone wants to suggest something I'm game to be converted.

In fairness then you are probably never really going to like Switzerland if you are a city person, its beauty and charm lays outside the big cities and more off the beaten track in villages,hamlets, small towns and the countryside.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
To be fair, from what I've seen, they are dull and probably not very exciting unless you're loaded. Basel is cool though.

Probably because Basel is almost France........ Mulhouse.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Probably because Basel is almost France........ Mulhouse.

And yet German is the first language (although everyone seems to speak French).

Just watched an extraordinary drinking game in a Basel pub, one that involves knocking a nail into a block of a wood with a hammer held the long way round. It's what passes for entertainment in Switzerland

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And yet German is the first language (although everyone seems to speak French).

Just watched an extraordinary drinking game in a Basel pub, one that involves knocking a nail into a block of a wood with a hammer held the long way round. It's what passes for entertainment in Switzerland

That's Precision Engineering - it's part of Rolex Watches engineering training scheme.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I bought a bar (smallest possible to save money) on Sunday in Zermatt, after getting great view from higher up of the Matterhorn. Because the mountain's image is on the wrapper, I assumed chocolate was made in the area but it's made miles away, in Bern. Lots of different types (chocolate, nuts) on sale but all expensive. Btw I coudn't stop humming the 'Toblerone, out on its own' song from the TV advert of decades ago

image.jpeg

Bern is known as 'The City of Bears' that's why there is a 'hidden' dancing bear on the Toblerone logo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here