Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Cheese on toast - grated or sliced cheese?

How do you make cheese on toast?

• With grated cheese

Votes: 44 23.7%
  • With sliced cheese

Votes: 127 68.3%
  • With cheese neither grated nor sliced (please state)

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I don't have cheese on toast (WTF?)

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For god’s sake, if you are going to grate the damn stuff then you should go the whole hog and make Welsh Rarebit. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce, English mustard, Tabasco, real ale, an egg and away you go!

If not, spend a 5th of the time on prep and slice the cheese.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sliced... with mayo and a generous blob of grainy mustard or marmite spread on the untoasted side of the bread. :drool:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
By 'sliced' I assume you meant cheese supplied that way, in plastic wrapping. We never have that sort of cheese in the house so I ticked option 3. I just get a chunk of 5 or 6-rated Cheddar (it would be Comte, but I can't afford to waste that) cut lumps off it, arrange them in a low heap on a slice of hand sliced seeded bread and fire away. Ideally, it gets a little burnt at the extremities.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Usually have a load grated handy for cheese sauces etc so do either, with ground black pepper on top. Grated then in oven for something really crisp.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Ketchup
Poached egg
Sardines or mackerel
Mushrooms
Sliced cheese
Toast

Under the grill, In that order.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I cut the cheese up and melt it in a bowl in the microwave with chopped chilli - c.35 secs - then onto the toast.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
By 'sliced' I assume you meant cheese supplied that way, in plastic wrapping. We never have that sort of cheese in the house so I ticked option 3. I just get a chunk of 5 or 6-rated Cheddar (it would be Comte, but I can't afford to waste that) cut lumps off it, arrange them in a low heap on a slice of hand sliced seeded bread and fire away. Ideally, it gets a little burnt at the extremities.

I've known you for, what, 20 years and you make an assumption that I'd entertain using pre-sliced cheese in plastic wrapping? Bloody hell.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here