Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Cheese on toast - grated or sliced cheese?

How do you make cheese on toast?

• With grated cheese

Votes: 44 23.7%
  • With sliced cheese

Votes: 127 68.3%
  • With cheese neither grated nor sliced (please state)

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I don't have cheese on toast (WTF?)

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Sliced (extra mature cheddar). However at the moment I'm going through a bit of a croque monsieur fad which I like to do with emmenthal. I don't usually entertain pre sliced cheese in the house but Aldi and Lidl do a pre sliced pack of emmenthal for £1.69 which works out at about £4.50 per kg which is cheap for emmenthal so in that case I make an exception for pre sliced packs. Incidentally I also buy my extra mature cheddar (not pre sliced) from Aldi/Lidl as that is only about £4.50 per kg too. My cheese buying yardstick is £5 per kg. Anything below is cheap and anything above is expensive.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You can't grate Stinking Bishop or brie,

FFS.

SLICED!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sliced (extra mature cheddar). However at the moment I'm going through a bit of a croque monsieur fad which I like to do with emmenthal. I don't usually entertain pre sliced cheese in the house but Aldi and Lidl do a pre sliced pack of emmenthal for £1.69 which works out at about £4.50 per kg which is cheap for emmenthal so in that case I make an exception for pre sliced packs. Incidentally I also buy my extra mature cheddar (not pre sliced) from Aldi/Lidl as that is only about £4.50 per kg too. My cheese buying yardstick is £5 per kg. Anything below is cheap and anything above is expensive.

So you only buy cheese that is exactly a fiver a kilo? That's damned precise. Hats off to you :bowdown:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
So you only buy cheese that is exactly a fiver a kilo? That's damned precise. Hats off to you :bowdown:

No, £5 per kilo is merely the yardstick I use to judge whether a cheese is cheap or expensive. I realise that is quite a low threshold, and of course I do go above it for the more exotic cheeses but I often buy them in the reduced section. However before purchasing from the reduced section I do a quick calculation looking at the price to weight ratio. To get a precise figure this sometimes requires assistance from my mobile phone calculator as those cheeses might be cuts from the deli counter so can be very random weights. Imagine my delight, after a quick calculation, when I discover a 377g slice of Cambozola reduced to £1.86 actually costs £4.93 per kilo. That obviously goes straight in my basket.

*Disclaimer: When doing the mobile phone calculator thing at the reduced section I try to give the impression that I'm sending a text rather than doing a price calculation as I'm fully aware that might look a bit weirdly obsessive.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Used to be slice, but now grated cheese is the same price as a block here kg for kg, seems pointless grating oneself so now it's grated on everything.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, £5 per kilo is merely the yardstick I use to judge whether a cheese is cheap or expensive. I realise that is quite a low threshold, and of course I do go above it for the more exotic cheeses but I often buy them in the reduced section. However before purchasing from the reduced section I do a quick calculation looking at the price to weight ratio. To get a precise figure this sometimes requires assistance from my mobile phone calculator as those cheeses might be cuts from the deli counter so can be very random weights. Imagine my delight, after a quick calculation, when I discover a 377g slice of Cambozola reduced to £1.86 actually costs £4.93 per kilo. That obviously goes straight in my basket.

*Disclaimer: When doing the mobile phone calculator thing at the reduced section I try to give the impression that I'm sending a text rather than doing a price calculation as I'm fully aware that might look a bit weirdly obsessive.

I do appreaciate a clear answer and that, my friend, was clarity. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I imagine I’m not the only one disappointed with the lack of detail in your post.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Used to be slice, but now grated cheese is the same price as a block here kg for kg, seems pointless grating oneself so now it's grated on everything.

Pregrated goes mouldy much quicker. Also a bit of mould on a block of cheese isn't really a problem as you just cut it off but that's not an option with grated

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I imagine I’m not the only one disappointed with the lack of detail in your post.

I'd rather too much information than not enough. I find those posts really frustrating that tease you with a bit of information that leave too many questions unanswered such as when someone posts that they were buying second hand lingerie for a friend and don't explain why. I'd rather get it all out there in the first place.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sliced. No question. More interestingly, however - what about the bread? Do you toast both sides first before adding cheese, or just one side and add the cheese to the untoasted side before toasting the cheese?

This is a very important point. It has to be just toasted on both side IMHO. Not sure about this one side nonsense.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Pregrated goes mouldy much quicker. Also a bit of mould on a block of cheese isn't really a problem as you just cut it off but that's not an option with grated

President grated emmental keeps for ages. I buy a 200g bag and pour it into a plastic container

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
President grated emmental keeps for ages. I buy a 200g bag and pour it into a plastic container
The only time I buy pregrated, which is usually mozzarella, is when I make enchiladas and then I use it all in one go.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here