Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hope Powell Interview

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
You are aware 1971 was 46 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Premier League was established in 1992, it took a long time for the tv rights and sponsorship to become so high

The WSL was only established in 2011 so it will take time to get bigger as interest grows (just like with the PL)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Premier League was established in 1992, it took a long time for the tv rights and sponsorship to become so high

The WSL was only established in 2011 so it will take time to get bigger as interest grows (just like with the PL)

I genuinely hope it does, but my issue is I don't see that happening at grass roots level - yet. Feel free to bounce this in a few years if I'm wrong, I'll be just as happy as you.

So do you really see a future where the women's game has sell out crowds every week in huge stadia and billions of pounds of multi national TV and advertising revenue? If so how soon?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] wins today's prize for the largest number of well reasoned, well informed commentary, and politely put, too :bowdown:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I genuinely hope it does, but my issue is I don't see that happening at grass roots level - yet. Feel free to bounce this in a few years if I'm wrong, I'll be just as happy as you.

So do you really see a future where the women's game has sell out crowds every week in huge stadia and billions of pounds of multi national TV and advertising revenue? If so how soon?

One of the articles i linked to earlier said something about the FA investing in grass roots football for women so hopefully but because it starts off so far behind the men's game, it will probably take decades (if not longer) to start to get close to where the PL is now (if it is ever going to)

Major tournament success and also things like hosting major tournaments may bring in much needed publicity and drive an increase in youth participation for girls in football

It starts off though as a sport that's seen as second rate,seen as something to avoid because of the standard, etc.... But compare it to other sports, like tennis, and it shows that it can live along side men's versions of the game and thrive. It has to try to overcome this negativity towards it, in this country especially when other countries actively support and promote women's football far more including places like the US and Sweden

The US showed the last women's world cup at prime time and gave it a lot of media coverage, we put our coverage on BBC 3

Nowhere is that felt more than the United States – where the success of the women’s national team is regarded with just as much gravity as the men’s side. Unlike in the UK, primetime broadcasters are concentrating on the Women’s World Cup, with interest nearly as high as it was for Jürgen Klinsmann’s team at last summer’s 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Traffic to the Guardian’s minute-by-minute reports reflects this equality too – there were twice as many readers in the US for the women’s team’s victory over Australia this month than there was for the men’s team win over world champions Germany.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ld-cup-huge-in-the-us-and-sidelined-in-the-uk

The is what they need to try to overcome for it to flourish in this country

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sure it would, but not to the extent it has now.

Men's tennis is more popular than women's - but not to the same extent as men's and women's football, and I don't recall women's tennis being banned. In fact, they're a result of what happens when you actively promote these sports nationally. Women's football simply hasn't had that coverage, and now the top level of men's football is in the stratosphere publicity-wise, so women's football starts from so far back.

Put it this way - many women's matches are now getting the increased crowds of similar size to Conference matches, mostly because it's finally being publicised as a serious sport, where fewer and fewer people are frowning upon the notion of women playing football.

Womens football hasn't had the coverage because its (frankly) of a poorer standard, and doesn't attract the audiences. Cherrypicking a few large attendances during and in the aftermath of the Great War doesn't prove that womens football could or should have been as big if not bigger than the mens. It was a replacement at the time, a unique set of circumstances. The 50 year ban from the FA was completely unjustifiable, but is that really the reason 30,000 fans turn up every week to see BHA Men, and a sprinkling of fans turn up to see the women ? Did other countries have a ban too ? Because I don't see any other womens football teams on the continent commanding huge crowds and TV audiences, and to my knowledge there was no such suppression there by the authorities.

And I don't really think womens tennis is a viable comparison to football. The fanbase is of an entirely different culture that doesn't attract the kind of tribalism you get in football. Its not a sport that is based week-in, week-out in towns, cities and communities across the country that fans closely identify with. And its always tournament based, so the concept of a male and female part of that tournament playing out side-by-side is more naturally condusive within that sport.

It can only be a good thing that crowds for womens games are on the up, on the whole. But I honestly don't see it ever progressing much beyond a "niche" of a few thousand tops and the odd bigger crowd for a Final, because it is a male dominated League, the mens game is what attracts the lions share of the publics interest. And thats OK, isn't it ?? There are hundreds of sports that survive at that level. If the opportunities are there for women to play football at a decent level then that an only be a good thing. But the notion of it ever rivalling the mens game in terms of interest and support is, I think, unrealistic.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That is true. But I don't think people writing it off is going to help. Plus, the reason it has not developed over 150 years like mens football is...well...systematic sexism is society. We need to stop that for it to have any chance.

I'm not writing it off, and BHA certainly aren't with the investment they've made in the team and in bringing in a manager of the profile of Hope Powell. Its not SEXIST to decide that the womens game is not for you. I just prefer the pace, power and skill levels of the mens game, and the atmosphere of a full stadium. I can't get that with the womens game, and I don't have the time or inclination to invest myself in it to the extent where I want to closely follow it. But then I've been a STH with BHAFC since about 1987 so I'm a miserable old git who is thoroughly stuck in his ways. If a younger generation of fans coming through get attracted to the womens game, then thanks to the likes of TB's investment, its right there for them now, IF they choose to go along.

Womens football has to stand or fall on that basis though. Not through financial doping courtesy of the mens game.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
He could live off £1M for 50-odd years?

That is 20k a year.

How much will £20k a year buy you in 10, 20 or even 50 years time. It will be worth less and buy less as every year passes

£20k a year is less than the national average wage now and the way prices for things like cigarettes and booze are going, you probably wouldn't be able to afford a pint and a smoke on that 50 years from now let alone anything else

I could happily live off £1m capital. If invested with a very modest return of 3% that gives interest of 30K per year if no capital taken .

Now on the basis I'm not going to last for 50 years, this could be treated like a drawdown 30K plus a bit more each year, reducing the capital, even after tax is more than a liveable income.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
All very sound and reasoned arguments - a rarity for this place...

I've tried to watch women's football, I applaud the nationwide increase in coverage and the move to a fully fledged professional league pyramid with nationwide teams but one thing still turns me off to it - the goalkeepers.

You'll see some excellent football played, flowing moves, fantastic pace and skill and then someone can scuff a shot - not through lack of skill but just because (like also happens week in week out in the men's game) and low and behold a daisy cutting pee roller off someone's shin slides over the line unchallenged like an asthmatic snail walking through some grass and the keeper dives over it or it goes through their legs, off north their arms etc.

Why does it follow that that's the one position where the quality off the players lacks? It's a real detractor from me enjoying the game more thoroughly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You think Solly March and co. would be set up for life after 1 season in the Prem? Absolute rubbish.

£20,000 a week - 50% deductions. That's over half a million quid in the bank (forgetting bonuses and other income prior).

I'd say they're set up nicely.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Why isn’t there a greater call for the FA and FIFA to allow mixed gender football teams beyond the age of 18?

Maybe/probably the average male professional footballer plays at a higher standard than the average female one but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t a number of female players of a higher quality than their male counterparts playing in the leagues.

What is the justification for banning mixed gender teams?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Why isn’t there a greater call for the FA and FIFA to allow mixed gender football teams beyond the age of 18?

Maybe/probably the average male professional footballer plays at a higher standard than the average female one but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t a number of female players of a higher quality than their male counterparts playing in the leagues.

What is the justification for banning mixed gender teams?

Newcastle Jets(Australia) U15's boys team beat the Australian national women's team 7-0. The Australian national women's team are one of the best in the world at present.

That's why.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I could happily live off £1m capital. If invested with a very modest return of 3% that gives interest of 30K per year if no capital taken .

Now on the basis I'm not going to last for 50 years, this could be treated like a drawdown 30K plus a bit more each year, reducing the capital, even after tax is more than a liveable income.

Where can you get a relatively risk-free ‘very modest’ return of 3% ? Let me know, I’m in..........

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Where can you get a relatively risk-free ‘very modest’ return of 3% ? Let me know, I’m in..........

Well not the post office, but I'm sure there are some investment bods on here that could help, esp with £1m to play with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here