Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mitrovic Newcastle

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That doesn't mean a £17m bid is low-balling. His high release clause is not a valuation, and our bid may have been a fair bid.
In checking if we were talking about the same fella, I found this:-

https://talksport.com/football/watf...a-striker-florin-andone-emerges-hornets-radar

Deportivo are not keen to sell for anything less than £17m, but even that is much lower than the striker's release clause, which is thought be closer to the £26m mark.

I would suggest the key part of that report is the date:-

Friday, May 26, 2017

Being prepare to accept 'only' £17m in May is very different to accepting £9m less than they have to in the last 24 hours of the transfer window.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Go back to your tinpot amateur radio station...

Aw diddums.

... and leave the professional stations to do and say what they wish. As it happens they are only reporting what is in the papers.

You genuinely are totally clueless about this sort of thing.

The 'professionals' you're on about people - usually interns - who get paid the same as I do for doing the Roar (remember, you were stupid enough to think we get paid a fortune for doing what we do...), but are told to go trawling the papers for some tedious fabrication, purely in the name of gullible clickbait.

And you fall for it. Every. Single. Time. What a wazzock. :facepalm:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
In checking if we were talking about the same fella, I found this:-

https://talksport.com/football/watf...a-striker-florin-andone-emerges-hornets-radar

Deportivo are not keen to sell for anything less than £17m, but even that is much lower than the striker's release clause, which is thought be closer to the £26m mark.

I would suggest the key part of that report is the date:-

Friday, May 26, 2017

Being prepare to accept 'only' £17m in May is very different to accepting £9m less than they have to in the last 24 hours of the transfer window.

I thought it had been reported that a fee was agreed between the clubs but was dependant on them getting a player in, which collapsed late on the last day of the window, leading to moving for jansson from spurs.

If that is the case, i would very much expect us to go back for Andone in January.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If that is the case, i would very much expect us to go back for Andone in January.

You would have thought so, but if he carries on creating and scoring in La Liga that might be easier said than done.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I thought it had been reported that a fee was agreed between the clubs but was dependant on them getting a player in, which collapsed late on the last day of the window, leading to moving for jansson from spurs.

I was told, the player had even agreed terms,Deportivo had agreed the fee, all was tickety boo, until Deportivos replacement fell throughand they pulled the plug.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right, so offering £17m is not low-balling then. Of course you could say we met their valuation too late, so they didn't have time to replace, but it wasn't low-balling 'by a good £10m'.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
He is utter cack. (As a Toon supporting friend described him....in the Championship).
Still, you can't beat a January transfer rumour in early October. That's the international break for you!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I was told, the player had even agreed terms,Deportivo had agreed the fee, all was tickety boo, until Deportivos replacement fell throughand they pulled the plug.

I am not so sure that the 'replacement' did fall through, I know there was much talk about it but I think it (the replacement did happen) going to review this !

EDIT

Was Perez from the Arse who loaned him to Deportivo so, if they sign him permanently, perhaps the Andone thing is not undone !

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
would imagine our striker shopping for January is done and dusted, bearing in mind the shambles in September ...not all our doing, I hasten to add !

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I still believe Andone will come.

As has been said the fee was agreed and he wanted to come, only fell down to a replacement falling through not due to the fee.

He has started with a couple of goals and assists, however he has lost his place in the team to Perez and has been on the bench the last couple of games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to BBC Sport Gossip The Daily Mirror says we are interested in him joining us in January. Any opinions and what would he cost?

Only passing on what is on the BBC Sport site so dont understand why I get slated for it apart, from TLO who appears to think it is clever to have a pop at me over anything.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
would imagine our striker shopping for January is done and dusted, bearing in mind the shambles in September ...not all our doing, I hasten to add !

Fingers crossed.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I don't understand this thing of "if he isn't good enough for Newcastle, he isn't good enough for us." I have no opinion either way on Mitrovic specifically but sometimes moves don't work out. Everyone was laughing at Man U when they bought Forlan. He clearly didn't settle in the UK because he banged them in for fun at Athletico.

Andy Caroll MK1 is another example. At West Ham, they played to his strengths and he scored hatfuls. He then moved to Liverpool and struggled because they play the ball through the middle to feet more whereas West Ham got crosses in.

CMS never worked playing as a lone striker for us. Maybe with a bigger striker partner, he could have cut it at Championship level as he had done with McClean at Peterborough.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Only passing on what is on the BBC Sport site so dont understand why I get slated for it apart, from TLO who appears to think it is clever to have a pop at me over anything.

Agreed, totally valid to pass this on. I don't think me will make a move for Mitrovic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here