Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Autumnal dinners

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Been eating Partridge about 3 nights a week since start sept (roasted or casserole in slo-cooker). Now time to add in the pheasant too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Slow cooker is better for very long cooking IMHO, but what you’re describing is basically the same thing anyway.

Not really as we set the timer on the oven to come on about 2 hours before we want to eat and set it at 140 and if it braising steak or similar it is perfect. If its chicken casserole it is set for less time. I could of course, put the slow cooker plug into a timer socket but I am sure that I read that slow cookers do not reach a sufficiently high enough temperature even on high to kill any bacteria.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not really as we set the timer on the oven to come on about 2 hours before we want to eat and set it at 140 and if it braising steak or similar it is perfect. If its chicken casserole it is set for less time. I could of course, put the slow cooker plug into a timer socket but I am sure that I read that slow cookers do not reach a sufficiently high enough temperature even on high to kill any bacteria.

Nonsense. I did a dish that I cooked for 12 hours yesterday - no way in the world the meat would have had the same tenderness after 2 hours. The collagen doesn’t break down that quickly.

As for bacteria, I have my steak blue anyway.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Curried pumpkin soup made yesterday and fresh crusty bread

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I realize that for some people it is essential to leave but I do not like meat left in a slow cooker I prefer to put it in a casserole dish in the oven on a low temperature on a timer.

Slow cookers are brilliant. If you like all your food to taste the same and for your house to smell of warm fart when you get back from work.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nonsense. I did a dish that I cooked for 12 hours yesterday - no way in the world the meat would have had the same tenderness after 2 hours. The collagen doesn’t break down that quickly.

As for bacteria, I have my steak blue anyway.

That is just what I dont like, cooking for that long the gravy is great but in my mind the meat has lost its flavour and texture of chewiness so that you cannot distinguish one meat from any other. The only thing we use a slow cooker for is a roly poly suet pudding or a leg of lamb done as per the Greek Kleftiko. All down to personal choice

Last edited:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Chicken tagine, with a bit of couscous and some flatbread :thumbsup:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Sausage meat pie, mash and gravy... or baked beans

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fried liver and bacon with boiled potatoes and veg with thick liver gravy. I go against the majority and prefer either Ox Liver or Pigs Liver as it is stronger than Lambs or calves.

Close, but no cigar ! Try Liver and Bacon casserole with mashed potato and peas. YUM !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Slow cookers are brilliant. If you like all your food to taste the same and for your house to smell of warm fart when you get back from work.

Try Flemish Beef Stew in the Slow Cooker, absolutely gorgeous and the recipe is available online for another year or so...after that we have to pay for it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As a vegetarian, I'm largely against risotto as a mushroom risotto, sometimes crazily prefixed with the word "wild", is a default veggie offering in so many places.

However, I was* going to make a butternut squash risotto today as it feels suitably warming and hearty on such a day.

(* - I didn't actually make one, as I had some veg that needed to be used, so I made a Thai green curry instead. The risotto may come tomorrow.)

Hadn't a Scooby you were a vegetarian?
This is a great site if eating out anywhere:

https://www.happycow.net

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It's that warm fart retirement home smell.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
It's not quite cool enough here yet but probably from next month we will start doing NABE (meaning cooking pot), which is basically a big broth that is cooked at the dining table on a portable hob. The soup broth is usually soy, miso, salt or kimichi flavour and chuck a load of chopped veg in there, cabbage, onions, leek, bean shoots etc anything basically and throw in balls of minced chicken, when it's almost ready put some very thinly sliced beef and or pork in and serve. Once most of the veg and meat has gone throw some udon noodles in the remaining broth and serve again when ready.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know it's traditionally a spring meat but roast leg of lamb with garlic cloves buried deep in the meat on top of pomme boulangère and cooked for 5 hours is a decent warming dinner. Serve with carrot and thyme mash and tender stem broccoli. Tis what we're having this Saturday.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I know it's traditionally a spring meat but roast leg of lamb with garlic cloves buried deep in the meat on top of pomme boulangère and cooked for 5 hours is a decent warming dinner. Serve with carrot and thyme mash and tender stem broccoli. Tis what we're having this Saturday.

How can you eat that. Lamb tastes awful at this time of year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here