Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Autumnal dinners

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Cullen Skink. Crusty bread.

Liver and bacon, onions, mash, tinned plum toms, thick gravy.

Apple crumble with home grown apples.

Bottle of red, or a couple of pints of Adnams cider ( or both ).

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Got the apples of the tree before the first frost and made my first apple crumble of the season, scoop of ice cream, lovely stuff.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
As a vegetarian, I'm largely against risotto as a mushroom risotto, sometimes crazily prefixed with the word "wild", is a default veggie offering in so many places.

However, I was* going to make a butternut squash risotto today as it feels suitably warming and hearty on such a day.

(* - I didn't actually make one, as I had some veg that needed to be used, so I made a Thai green curry instead. The risotto may come tomorrow.)

I'm with you there. If a works do has mushroom risotto as the veggie option, I'll complain. I like it, but the slackness of imagination or endeavour in the menu planning riles me. Always as if flavour isn't something we're interested in, and our every bite is political or health oriented. I want to enjoy food too, thanking you kindly.

Oooh, I wonder if the nasal hair singeing brussel sprout curry might reappear in this shortening daytime season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Close, but no cigar ! Try Liver and Bacon casserole with mashed potato and peas. YUM !

I prefer liver either fried or grilled to done in a casserole. Liver like most offal is a marmite thing people either love or hate it I am the only person in my family that likes it. When in the pub that was one of our biggest selling meals simply for that reason it was the only time some people had it as the rest of the family didnt like it.

Today it is baked stuffed marrow with potatoes and veg.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Bacon Pudding, Mash and Beans
Or
Stew, Potatoes and Dumplings
Or
Toad in the hole, potatoes and beans.

I love bacon pudding.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Interesting discussion about slow cookers. Mrs T is a fan, but I am less so.

Do any of these recipes manage to cook the meat without making it all stringy and rather tasteless?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
This is all you need.
2b99144e81256733e9836a872df6ee88.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whilst not being a great fan of slow cookers as I do not think that if blindfolded you could tell what meat you are eating purely based on the taste I do appreciate that in many cases with people working it is a case of a choice between leaving something cooking while at work or having a microwave convenience meal when getting home so they do have their uses.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Do any of these recipes manage to cook the meat without making it all stringy and rather tasteless?
With slow cookers I find they are often too big making you have to put in too much liquid.

I put a smaller pot INSIDE the slow cooker.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Isnt the question that slow cooker doesnt 'cook out' certain ingredients or caramelise the meat prior to the braising, casseroling or stewing.

Raw vegetables, raw tomato paste basically all the ingredients are slowly boiled which is fine if no other method available but its not preferable to the the genuine versions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here