Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Autumnal dinners

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
czech-food-goulash-knedle-table-close-up-horizonta-traditional-horizontal-view-above-75573935.jpg

Although, I think Cottage Pie is hard to beat, Gulas is cheap, and the restaurant is less than five minutes away :-D

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Moussaka anyone? Made with my own fair hands :) Home-grown aubergines cheap and plentiful right now. Don't forget the cinnamon in the lamb mince and to whisk a couple of eggs into the cheese sauce.

View attachment 90100

another unwanted immigrant food when will you realise ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and we need to take back controll
regards
DR

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
As a vegetarian, I'm largely against risotto as a mushroom risotto, sometimes crazily prefixed with the word "wild", is a default veggie offering in so many places.

However, I was* going to make a butternut squash risotto today as it feels suitably warming and hearty on such a day.

(* - I didn't actually make one, as I had some veg that needed to be used, so I made a Thai green curry instead. The risotto may come tomorrow.)

As Mr Nickbrighton is also a vegetarian , I have had to adapt several of my old favourite meat dinners to a veggie version. One of my favourites was steak and Kidney steamed suet pudding. This has become Mushroom pudding, and we had our first one of the Autumn this week. Really good warming comfort food

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good timing, this thread's prompted me to defrost the kilo pack of oxtail that I picked up last week. MASSIVE stew tomorrow with dumplings, pearl barley, root veg, celery and the think end of a bottle of malbec.
Hell yeah.

You were doing ever so well there with your menu, until you mentioned Malbec. I love most red wine, just not Malbec for some reason.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
One of the things I love about this time of the year is thick homemade soups, in the last week I've made a thick tomato soup, and a pea, cucumber and mint soup, with freshly baked homemade bread rolls.

Also nearly time for some proper steamed puddings, chocolate, jam, spotted dick,

Got to love cold weather food :)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Typicol, if i showed a photo of my spotted dick the left wing Rodney mods on here would ban me but its one rule for your libaral leftards and another for football lads like me
regards
DR

Listen you Thatcherite capitalist low life. Attila the Hun introduced suet to the Saxons and that went on to be the basis for the pudding! So, this started out as a right wing dessert and is now loved by all political sides.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This was nice the other week: schnitzel, mash and gravy from the local cafe.

Looks wonderful. Of course this is the time of year when Germany really comes to the fore on the home cooking front. Lots of amazing schnitzels, ham hocks, bratwursts etc. Different types of potatoes, sauerkraut etc too. Absolutely delicious.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Got the slow cooker out and did a sausage casserole last night. Im rather new to the slow cooker and now cannot wait to try more stuff in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here