Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Comedy Rant

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:lolol: Next week in Amateur Psychologist, comedian Coogan explains how floating voters miraculously lose and then regain their humanity whenever they vote for and against the Tories. This replaces an article on self-awareness by the well-known sex pest.

Also one-time regular NSCer Tesco In Disguise explains what 'confirmation bias' is and why it's best to ignore the long tradition of misanthropic comedians from Carlin and Stanhope to Sadowitz when making your weak arguments based on dodgy cod psychology.

Why don't you just admit that you only like Lawrence, probably are only aware of him because he made a comment on immigration that you agree with.

As an aside, is Coogan a sex pest? I'd say you're verging on libel there. Which is probably not a great move considering Coogan's record of protecting his name in court.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is going well....it has to be the must unfunny thread about comedy I've ever seen.
It started well but got boring and political rather quickly. Nothing like the old left v right from the permanently offended to piss on one's bonfire.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
[MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION] is there a video you can link to of Lawrence talking about Clarkson and Dapper Laughs? I'm interested to see what angle he takes.

I assume you're referring to his "look at her, she's gagging for a rape" line. The silly thing about that is if you watch the whole act in context he was actually talking about the media perception of him and that line was entirely sarcastic. The tabloids took it out of context and called it a joke about rape, when it was actually a joke about them!

I'm no fan of Dapper Laughs, his videos are aimed at the lowest common denominator and are full of uncomfortable behaviour towards women, but the tabloid witch hunt was way OTT - at least go after him for something that he actually did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OIf56xrJY

Yes I completely get the point that he's trying to make. But the reason why shouting offensive stuff at women in the street is wrong isn't that it's suddenly going to mean blokes go out and commit rape, it's part of the whole objectification thing which creates a culture where if that's acceptable then worse things become more so. As I said, I'm no hand wringing PCer, far from it. But he's making a cheap gag about something that he either doesn't understand or (more likely) is willfully misunderstanding in order to push his agenda.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OIf56xrJY

Yes I completely get the point that he's trying to make. But the reason why shouting offensive stuff at women in the street is wrong isn't that it's suddenly going to mean blokes go out and commit rape, it's part of the whole objectification thing which creates a culture where if that's acceptable then worse things become more so. As I said, I'm no hand wringing PCer, far from it. But he's making a cheap gag about something that he either doesn't understand or (more likely) is willfully misunderstanding in order to push his agenda.

He’s an annoying ****.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nah, I've watched a bit more. Lawrence is just a bitter little prick by the looks of things. Or that's his act......Either way, I'm out.

So. Career is going down the pan. He's aware there are very few right wing comics. Suddenly he re-brands himself as a right wing comic and he's famous. I wonder how many of his new found fans actually find him funny though, or do they just support him due to his subject matter?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He’s an annoying ****.

He reminds me of those annoying short-arse runts you come across in life who will say or do anything to be heard.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It may have only mentioned Lawrence in passing but as I've already posted, where he mentioned Lawrence it was pretty nasty dog-whistle stuff. He's either a racist, mentally ill or both. There's no need to quote the article, I've already read it. If you don't like the word prissy then you could have had unprofessional or snide...take your pick.

You accuse him of affecting a victim persona to play on a new-found audience. I could equally counter that he came back fighting and that a lot of people like to bathe in the reflected glory of Lee's intellect and get the hump when their sacred cow is attacked.

But Stewart Lee is right To wonder why there aren't more right-wing comedians. Even as a left winger (and Stewart Lee fan), I'd like to hear more variety. And he's even more correct in bemoaning the fact that panel shows resort to getting Daniel Finkelstein on. As a former colleague of his, I can assure you he is even more unfunny than he seems to be on programmes like The News Quiz. There must be people doing right-of-centre standup who are better than Frankie Boyle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here