Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should he really be saying this?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Would like to see what the questions were. The media tend to interpret from the humility of our manager and modest expectations from our fans that we are a club just happy to be here for a season with limited ambitions. It does grate at me but it's all about managing expectations.

Most recent comment to annoy me was from a commentator, don't know which, for the Newcastle game where he took the trouble to draw attention to early leavers, as all clubs have, but then said something along the lines of "I'm not really sure they should be leaving, Premier League wins won't come around too often for a club like Brighton".

I've run out of superlatives for Hughton this past couple years, but I would be lying if I didn't admit to being annoyed at the way he panders to the toon at times. I guess he doesn't want to shun the popularity he has up there so tells them what they want to hear.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Chris feels they have more squad depth and who am I to argue that, but that is changing and will continue to do so if we survive. Look at the relative spends? It's good that we don't have delusions of grandeur like the Nigel's but I'd like to think we have some ambition and positive expectations too...
We do. I’m not sure that the switched on amongst us - and to be honest I think that is the large majority - don’t realise that the status quo can change if we stay in the top flight for a few seasons. If you are a little disappointed in CH’s statement I would hazard a guess they were replies to loaded questions. He will always answer on the side of caution when interviewed because that’s the sort of guy he is and like I say, the whole club including Tony Bloom have goals, but they don’t want to looks like idiots like our friends have with silly boasts.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We really don't think that at all. Maybe there are some deluded mongs amongst our support but every club has them. Long term we want to be competing for trophies, but surely long term competing for mid table in the PL would be poor ambition for very club? This season avoiding the drop would be pleasing, especially if it's comfortably.

Fair enough but I've read it from more than one source. As you say, probably just deluded mongs, although I stand by the point that expectations in general are higher at the Toon than here.

Benitez said: “People are talking about the Champions League and all these things, but we are realistic. I think 40 points is a guarantee that you will stay up — maybe even less. I know that’s the figure because I’ve been checking the numbers.”

Newcastle head to the Amex looking for a fourth straight victory, safe in the knowledge that no team to post three wins from their first five games has ever been relegated from the Prem.

Benitez said: “We have been called the surprise package so far and for me it’s much better to be the surprise package than to be at the bottom..........
.....like that, as you say, "shithouse joke" of a football club Crystal Palace. Ha ha yes, they're actually really pathetic aren't they, and Roy Hodgson looks like Theresa May. FACT."

Was the end of the quote, I think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
However, he was very unhappy that the video leaked out, primarily because he mentioned Spurs in it and he was concerned that Albion fans could be offended, if they interpreted what he said as having affection for Spurs as he is our manager. None would at all.
Begging the question:-

I wonder what CH would have to say or do to actually offend Albion fans, while remaining in his job?

Judging by his interpretation of the Spurs comment, I'll hazard a guess Chris would be surprised by the depths we will go to while still turning a blind eye. :lol:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think to be fair there is a little of Chris’s humility coming out and not trying to make out we are the Man Utd of the south like those chumps up the road did a little while ago.
IMHO Chris gets the tone right every time, but I do sometimes wish he might be a little less humile (yes, I know the word doesn't exist, but I feel it should).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you're packing out a 30,000 stadium week in, week out and you've got a catchment area with 1 million people then you have the potential to become a Southampton, and I don't think Southampton would be judged a small club, or held up as small compared with Newcastle.

The reality is that to break through you have to spend a decent period in the top flight. Those 4 seasons in 1979-1983 put us on the map and making sure we're not a one-season wonder will further enhance our reputation.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I am a great admirer of CH and love what he has done for this club and have the greatest respect for his views and long may he continue.
But never do I look at the likes of Arsenal,Man Utd and City etc with their corporate crowds and trophies in awe, because in my eyes we are the best club with the biggest heart with the best supporters regardless of 50k plus crowds the supposed big teams get and silverwear to boast about.
Our biggest trophy is where we are now and what was achieved by our fans off the pitch over the years and there is no cabinet big enough for that achievement.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Amen for that! I don't disagree with what was said but I just think it might have been phrased better maybe? Right now, today, what is the difference between the clubs? they get about 20k more for a home game than us (Imagine the gate receipts are much the same) have some worldwide resonance that we don't have and a history that we don't. Chris feels they have more squad depth and who am I to argue that, but that is changing and will continue to do so if we survive. Look at the relative spends? It's good that we don't have delusions of grandeur like the Nigel's but I'd like to think we have some ambition and positive expectations too...

So, apart from bigger crowds, worldwide appeal, history and more squad depth....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If you're packing out a 30,000 stadium week in, week out and you've got a catchment area with 1 million people then you have the potential to become a Southampton, and I don't think Southampton would be judged a small club, or held up as small compared with Newcastle.

The reality is that to break through you have to spend a decent period in the top flight. Those 4 seasons in 1979-1983 put us on the map and making sure we're not a one-season wonder will further enhance our reputation.

We have the catchment area but the London clubs have the appeal. I'm not sure that folk in the wider area are as passionate about footie as many parts of the north either.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'd call Southampton a small club compared to Newcastle. The Toon have won more trophies, spent longer in the top flight and have bigger crowds.

I've mentioned before that I know seven people who support Newcastle, only three of whom are from the area. I've never met anyone who supports Southampton who's not from there. When Southampton (or Brighton for that matter) attracts supporters from London, High Wycombe, Basingstoke and Luton (which is where my other Geordie-supporting friends are from) then I'll start thinking there as big a club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We have the catchment area but the London clubs have the appeal. I'm not sure that folk in the wider area are as passionate about footie as many parts of the north either.

In terms of being passionate as in making a lot of noise you have a point, but in terms of passionate as in having a local club that the people want to get behind I think that the whole journey of almost going out of business to Premier League HAS created something powerful. Those Newcastle fans soon piped down after we took the lead, while the Amex reaction at the final whistle was quite something to behold, as every Albion fan knows a Prem victory is something to be treasured and savoured.

They used to talk about The Roker Roar but years of fighting relegation have taken their toll on Sunderland and that club is synonymous with fans leaving early. Nothing stays the same.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Its just the way CH is. Whenever interviewed before or after a game we are always playing against a good side with quality individuals who can hurt us.

Being too cautious too respectful playing down our own qualities?

I find it refreshing that we have someone is very grounded and one without a huge ego which can become tiresome

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
hqdefault.jpg

We know our place.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would be very surprised if CH did not have at least the same level of feelings for spurs as he has for the Albion. That might change if he is here in 10 years time. By a number of measures we are a smaller club than some but by the same measures we are bigger than many.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He is, of course, completely right. I guess it feels like a bit of a slight when someone we respect and admire says it. That said, as others have said, we are a smaller club than some but a bigger club than many others. That’s just a fact of life!!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
"He says Newcastle fans ‘deserve success’".

More than us? At our expense?

That's the only thing in the article that I could take issue with. Not really sure why he should be concerning himself with what he believes fans of other clubs "deserve".

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
"He says Newcastle fans ‘deserve success’".

More than us? At our expense?

That's the only thing in the article that I could take issue with. Not really sure why he should be concerning himself with what he believes fans of other clubs "deserve".

Did he say ‘more than us’ and as for being ‘concerned’ as you put it ..he was manager of that club ..held in high regard by the fans and he just might have been asked about them :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here