Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second hand / Charity Shops

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Get most of my books from the BHF charity shop in London Road. Almost always an interesting esoteric selection. Picked up this little beauty of a SOMETHING there for a tenner last year. Frame screams modern IKEA, stamp on the the back says 1993, artwork is timeless. Clearly way too late to be anything to do with either the original album or the original movie. Could be anything really. I just love it, for all sorts of reasons.

View attachment 90068

I miss the BHF shop that just sold books and music by P Circus staffed by cross dressers

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Often look in charity shops for books but have noticed most charity shops in Hove have been putting up prices a lot. I've seen items from Primark sold for more in charity shop than the retail price! And not collectibles, just a top or whatever.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Charity shops are great - use them all the time.
Reckon there are 20-30 I regularly pop into in the Worthing area, mostly for records. You soon work out which are the best ones, with regular fresh stock, sensible prices and an eye for the unusual. And keeps money coming in to good often local causes.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Jesus Christ! Are you CID? The redhead was Jennie so if you are CID, you're sh*t

OCD not CID. The name Jennie wasn't in the original post I responded to and only emerged after, but I hadn't read that far Cup a Soup.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I like the charity shops. We give absolutely loads of stuff to them, from the ones down London Road to as far as the one at Raystede. Every now and then, they send a letter letting us know how much they've made.
I'm a firm believer in recycling, clothes, bricabrac and electricals are no exception. However, because the prices are quite low, there does seem to be an overwhelming urge to buy more than we donate.......

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
My old house mates and I rented van few years back and filled it with bargains from various furniture focused charity shops to fill out the house. Still pop in wherever I am because why not.

After purchasing a rather nice old item of BHAFC kit for a couple of quid , i have found myself actively going into these shops habitually to see if there’s more bargains to be had , do you buy stuff from these sort of places ? If so what was your best find .

We scour the blooming shops on a near holy quest for items and find plenty:rolleyes: George street hove is a mecca for us.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I've had some great bargains over the years. A Barbour check shirt, quite a few Lacoste polos, three or four Ralph Lauren shirts, a pair of Hackett shorts. Always loads of Ralphie gear to be found everywhere as it popular among fairly well off older geezers, who inevitably kick the bucket and their stuff ends up in the charity shops.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
My flat is full of goodies from charity shops and the car boot, as is my place of work and then gifts to family (and friends). This week I bought two brand new tiny x-mini speakers for 50p and an almost-new Quiksilver cabin travel bag for a fiver (£105 new but not selling it, I love it!). Couldn't and wouldn't choose to stop using them - love looking for the random, interesting items that I wouldn't normally think-of, afford etc. Imagine having enough money to buy what you want when you want, how boring!!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I’m in the ones on Western Road near Waitrose at least once a week. It’s a great way to spend a lunchtime. I read a lot and it’s a great way to keep the cost down. I’m currently on One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. Cost me a quid. The Martletts on church street in town is worth a look. It gets all their branded gear. Loads of Pringle jumpers and the like. I got a couple of mint condition Fred Perry t shirts in there.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I've had some great bargains over the years. A Barbour check shirt, quite a few Lacoste polos, three or four Ralph Lauren shirts, a pair of Hackett shorts. Always loads of Ralphie gear to be found everywhere as it popular among fairly well off older geezers, who inevitably kick the bucket and their stuff ends up in the charity shops.

Do you know something I don't? I have been feeling rough too. My gear will be a bit baggy on you son :lolol:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
This post raises a number of questions which need clarifying.
1. What was the exact nature of your relationship with Alison. Romantic, platonic, purely sexual or unrequited?
2. If platonic why were you buying lingerie for her?
3. If romantic or sexual why were you buying second hand lingerie for her?
3. If unrequited did you believe the gift of second hand lingerie was likely to endear you to her in some way?
4. If you had five good years together with the unnamed redhead, on the assumption you are no longer together, how many not so good years did you have together?
5. Did you ever buy the nameless, shortsighted, mystery redhead second hand lingerie and if so was this when your relationship started its steady decline?
6. Would I be correct in assuming you are currently single?

This post raises a number of questions which need clarifying.
1. What was the exact nature of your relationship with Alison. Romantic, platonic, purely sexual or unrequited? 50/50
2. If platonic why were you buying lingerie for her? Wasn't platonic
3. If romantic or sexual why were you buying second hand lingerie for her? To sell or wear
3. If unrequited did you believe the gift of second hand lingerie was likely to endear you to her in some way? See #1
4. If you had five good years together with the unnamed redhead, on the assumption you are no longer together, how many not so good years did you have together? All 5 good years with Jennie
5. Did you ever buy the nameless, shortsighted, mystery redhead second hand lingerie and if so was this when your relationship started its steady decline? Never always new
6. Would I be correct in assuming you are currently single? Yes

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I read a lot and it’s a great way to keep the cost down. I’m currently on One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. Cost me a quid.

Can I recommend the city libraries to you? If you use the website you can reserve a book you want and have it delivered to branch of your preference who the will hold it for you. Costs £1 and well worth it.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
About 12 years ago I saw a couple of limited edition caricatures In The Martlets shop in Church Street. One was of George Best and the other was of Eric Cantona. They must have been about £40 each. As I already have Best's autograph on The wedding present George Best album cover, I bought the Cantona etching and managed to get him to sign it, when he was in Brighton for the beach football.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Apart from underwear, socks and most shoes/boots, almost all my clothing comes from charity shops. I mention this to people at work, and they can't believe that what I am wearing is all charity shop sourced. I was once told 'you wouldn't get a Ben Sherman shirt somewhere like that', only to prove him wrong the very next week.

Not bad for hi-fi equipment either - and books.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Been using them for the last year. Jeans for £4 - what's not to like? Got some really good deals so far. Best probably being good as new Clark's leather soled Oxford shoes for £7.

Got a T-shirt and V-neck sweater last week. Yes gents for the princely sum of £6 you too can look like Pep Guardiola. :lolol:

If its a few years old then it's Gianluca Vialli, surely?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I enjoy a good root about, good source of gifts for relaives like Bone China. Tend to look for quality and bargains. If I ever decide to become a cross dresser then it will be a bonus.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Grieves & Hawkes of Saville Row tweed jacket in Emmaus. £10, worth £650. Mint condition and perfect fit. I love it.
Buy a lot of books in charity shops. Mainly local history.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I wear shorts when I am doing manual labour, I buy them second hand from the charity shops and run them into the ground, when they are done I go back to get more.
I also get books from the charity shops and when I have read them I take them back, donate them and buy more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here