Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second hand / Charity Shops

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Grieves & Hawkes of Saville Row tweed jacket in Emmaus. £10, worth £650. Mint condition and perfect fit. I love it.
Buy a lot of books in charity shops. Mainly local history.

No "r" in Gieves. Apparently.

Also, only one "l" in Savile.

Nice buy.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
After purchasing a rather nice old item of BHAFC kit for a couple of quid , i have found myself actively going into these shops habitually to see if there’s more bargains to be had , do you buy stuff from these sort of places ? If so what was your best find .

As a greeting card and gift shop owner, these charity shops and £1 shops are the worst things on the shopping high street.

They make peoples mind set that any shop apart from the charity shop and £1 shops are expensive in comparison. We see this ever day, "oh that's expensive", "oh its cheaper in the £1 shop or charity shop", nothing we sell would ever be in a £1 shop.

My road has 5 charity shops in it and one £1 Shop that is ridiculous in the extreme.

How can small businesses survive.

Cant stand these shops. Rant over.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Yes, a fair bit. 90% of my visits are unsuccessful but sometimes you find some designer shirts, jackets etc at silly prices. Ralph Lauren, Burberry etc. Tunbridge Wells is the best for it!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No "r" in Gieves. Apparently.

Also, only one "l" in Savile.

Nice buy.
That's the one!

IMG_2752.JPG

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As a greeting card and gift shop owner, these charity shops and £1 shops are the worst things on the shopping high street.

They make peoples mind set that any shop apart from the charity shop and £1 shops are expensive in comparison. We see this ever day, "oh that's expensive", "oh its cheaper in the £1 shop or charity shop", nothing we sell would ever be in a £1 shop.

My road has 5 charity shops in it and one £1 Shop that is ridiculous in the extreme.

How can small businesses survive.

Cant stand these shops. Rant over.

To be fair greetings cards are hugely overpriced. I've bought mine in charity shops for over twenty years now.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Bought an old analogue radio with separate speakers for £3 about 4 years ago from a charity shop in Saltdean to listen to Brighton games, still got it, still tune in every now and then when I can't go, or find a decent stream.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Charity shops are incredible for books. Love a browse round for these.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I bought Dick Knight's autobiography for 50p about a year ago. Opened it and found he had signed the first page which was a bit of a touch.

Also bought a pair of Blue Harbour chino shorts once for about £3.50 only to find a £10 note in the back pocket.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Use them for books but recently found a Sergio tachini hoodie for 3.50.In my casual days 84 that was a trip to Stuart's in London,touch!

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
To be fair greetings cards are hugely overpriced. I've bought mine in charity shops for over twenty years now.

If you visited my shop you would not say that, we have the lowest priced cards around for the top makes too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you seem to demonstrated his point, is your perception of value distorted because the charity shops sell at so low a price? if every shop ran on volunteer staff and 90% discounted business rates, they'd be able to sell stuff a lot cheaper too.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
you seem to demonstrated his point, is your perception of value distorted because the charity shops sell at so low a price? if every shop ran on volunteer staff and 90% discounted business rates, they'd be able to sell stuff a lot cheaper too.

Is that what they get? 90% off business rates? Hmm - I'll have to have a think about that.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I donated a pair of Blue Harbour Chino shorts once only to realise i had left a £10 note in them that had a very very sentimental value to me , by the time i got back to the shop they had been sold for £3.50 , very distressing , i also donated a dick Knight book but you can keep that .

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If you visited my shop you would not say that, we have the lowest priced cards around for the top makes too.

If the "The Gem" is from the store I think he's from then he's absolutely right. Quality cards at very low prices. I get most of mine from there, including the 'under-the-counter' ones [apparently christening cards don't deserve shelf space, so you have to ask!]. Not a charity/second hand shop... just a normal independent, local retailer.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I don't know which shop he runs so can't comment on specifics. The one on the Dials? I buy my cards at cancer research and Martletts. For personal reasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here