Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The more I read about the Prem...

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
... the more I dislike it.

I spent no time at all around the Prem until we got there, and to be honest I only care about us being top flight again and not the shit that surrounds it. But the more I read, the more I hate it. The pulling of supporters videos of us in the 70/80s for a start, that has really pissed me off. But now the 'big six' wanting more of the dosh, is this about football any more? At least in the Football League they had a little more grace about their (very little) riches. I feel like we have been caught up in some giant circus of greed. The Great White of footballing divisions. It just opens it's mouth and eats everything in sight. I find myself increasingly reading about money and not football. I am old enough, and fortunate enough to remember 1979 and went at the time. It was Division One and devoid of this money merry go round back then.

I am from a very big non league football background, but that asides, having observed the Prem for two months I find this division crazy and it is more about money than football, it is a different monster from anything I have experienced in sport. Inflated wages and transfers were to be expected, no brainer. But now that I read more about it, because we're in it the more I think this is not about football. I'm probably getting old but I'll do another season (if we survive this one) and call it a day. I don't care much for corporate football. I'm sure Arsenal find it fantastic.
Pretty much spot on and personally I have very little interest especially since we got promoted.
Sadly I'd be happy to be in the championship although that sadly has become so much more money orientated because of wealthy owners and parachute payments.
This will be the first season in 30 years I've not gone to see some Albion games :)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Pretty much spot on and personally I have very little interest especially since we got promoted.
Sadly I'd be happy to be in the championship although that sadly has become so much more money orientated because of wealthy owners and parachute payments.
This will be the first season in 30 years I've not gone to see some Albion games :)

You could always go and watch Reading, I hear they play some lovely possession football.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Sorry to butt in . 5 years ago there were 7 of us who all went home and away, as soon as we got promoted 2 didn't bother renewing their ST sighting change of kick times and "load of corporate shite" the away games died straight away because of silly kick off times and the fact you can watch all the games on tv or by streaming. The second season 1 other dropped out saying he couldn't be arsed with it. That left 4 off us... two of us has said we won't get ST next season if we are still In The premier league. Leaving just 2 out of the original 7 left.

I personally find the football quite boring and all the new fans around us annoying as they seem to have forgotten where we came from and seem to expect us to be something we're not.

Because of all the changes in KO times 3 of us have started watching our local Rymans league team and even go and see them away ! I have to say I really enjoy it!

I feel after 4 years I have lost my mojo for all pro football and rarely watch it anymore which makes me sad.... as was said it is a poison chalice.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Well I'm the complete opposite of the OP. For the last fifteen years or so my sporting interests have revolved around cricket in the summer, then the start of the Football League season (which is always exciting). By this time though once we'd got into the endless grind of bog-standard league games (sometimes two a week) the individual games would cease to be important: we'd win some, lose some and as long as the points were accumulated it didn't really matter how or when. Consequently by now my main sporting interest would have switched from the boring league slog to the NFL and the forthcoming autumn Rugby internationals.

This year though I find I'm really looking forward to the Everton game. We've played Arsenal, Newcastle, West Brom, and we've got West Ham coming up and a trip to Old Trafford in the not-too-distant future. I'd have thought people would be loving this, but instead people still come out with whining faux-moralist shit about how somehow we've sold our souls by accepting the PL dollar and how it was better in the old days when we were pure and innocent.

No it wasn't. It really wasn't. Like the Amex is better than Withdean so the PL is better than League One or the Championship. At least save your moans until we've been here for a few seasons and the novelty has worn off. For now - enjoy it. Please. You WILL miss it when it's gone.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Excellent a few more dinosaurs like you with no passion or life can pish off and let those that wont to be passionate and support the club on its epic journey get seats and attend the matches- this is a football forum with your vastly negative attitude why are you still on it ?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Loving this season, singing your heart out in the rocking North Stand all 3 home games, loads of exposure on TV. This club hasn't lost or sold it's soul. It is owned by a very passionate fan, and #together really means something to all the fans/staff/players. What is the point of playing sport, if not to win ? And if you win enough you are playing and competing at the highest level you can, for us that's the Premier League. Some clubs may have sold their soul, we haven't, and confident we never will.

Watched Tunbridge Wells V Crowborough yesterday, first time at my local ground, great bunch of fans and will definitely go again, but it'll never give me the same feeling as watching the club I love.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Now, I didn't chuck my loose change in buckets at the Withdean for Falmer and march along the seafront for Falmer without the dream of one day playing in the Premier League.

I have to say it is all still a surreal experience for me. Not being able to attend matches and watching live from afar has been great. The WBA and Newcastle matches have been a rollercoaster of emotion. Getting up at 7am to watch the Arsenal game - love it. I can't wait for the Everton game.

Everyone one knows the Premier League is a money machine but I want to see us compete with the best in the land. It won't be long before Amazon or Netflix pick up the TV rights from Sky and BT. The game will then change again for some people - for better or worse again in some people's opinions.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You are a miserable old git...

The football Man City and Arsenal produced was sumblime, and we are making a good fist of it... would you rather be supporting Crawley, or an amateur team? FFS...

Right, if that's how you feel, why don't you just **** off? There is a togetherness at this club like NEVER before, and I've been watching the Albion since the early '70's... to blandly describe our club as 'corporate' is simplistic BS... we are playing at the highest domestic level and I, for one, am enjoying it, a lot... you, on the other hand, need to go watch some amateur football, compare and contrast, and rethink your overly negative attitude...

Watch your blood pressure there fella. I think you need to re-read without your head blowing off your shoulders. I haven't 'blandly' described our club as corporate at all. I have said if we continue down this route we will end up like the sterile supporters seen at clubs on the top table. If you believe it is overly negative, that is fine, you, as I, are entitled to our opinion. However, to tell me to **** off (whatever **** may be), is a little OTT? I have no problem watching grass roots, do you?

Absolute rubbish!! We are losing our identity? How so? If you had travelled to our away games this season and been to the home games as well you will have noticed the atmosphere and noise levels have gone up a few gears. Every match has been a sell out and our fans have been brilliant and backed the the team all the way. Hardly a club that has lost its identity. For that description I point you in the direction of Arsenal, having been there last Sunday with the 3,000 raucous Albion fans and some 56,000(alleged) silent Gooners, now that is a club that has definitely lost it's footballing soul.

Again... read before engaging, I have not knocked our support one bit. And you directly answered my thoughts regarding the library at Arsenal. So I can only conclude you agree with me.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Excellent a few more dinosaurs like you with no passion or life can pish off and let those that wont to be passionate and support the club on its epic journey get seats and attend the matches- this is a football forum with your vastly negative attitude why are you still on it ?

Why do people without a point reduce themselves to insults online?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well I'm the complete opposite of the OP. For the last fifteen years or so my sporting interests have revolved around cricket in the summer, then the start of the Football League season (which is always exciting). By this time though once we'd got into the endless grind of bog-standard league games (sometimes two a week) the individual games would cease to be important: we'd win some, lose some and as long as the points were accumulated it didn't really matter how or when. Consequently by now my main sporting interest would have switched from the boring league slog to the NFL and the forthcoming autumn Rugby internationals.

This year though I find I'm really looking forward to the Everton game. We've played Arsenal, Newcastle, West Brom, and we've got West Ham coming up and a trip to Old Trafford in the not-too-distant future. I'd have thought people would be loving this, but instead people still come out with whining faux-moralist shit about how somehow we've sold our souls by accepting the PL dollar and how it was better in the old days when we were pure and innocent.

No it wasn't. It really wasn't. Like the Amex is better than Withdean so the PL is better than League One or the Championship. At least save your moans until we've been here for a few seasons and the novelty has worn off. For now - enjoy it. Please. You WILL miss it when it's gone.

Again, welcome to your opinion, but I don't personally see it as moaning, whinging, etc., etc. The proof is there to see with the 'big clubs', it is happening before our eyes. Perhaps it is just easier to ignore. Yes, the slog to get where we are was long and arduous. But if you read what I was pointing out, you'd see what I was trying to get at. And I'm not about to repeat myself, just read again.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Personally, I prefer the modern game and count myself lucky to have a club that has fought to get to the top of the tree. I don't understand this, it was better when it was shit mentality.

It's all positive as far as I can see.

State of the art stadiums.

The worlds best players coming to our ground.

The worlds best managers, Trying to out think each other.

No morons wanting to have a scrap on crumbling old terraces.

Better TV coverage and online statistics and discussion.

So what if the owners who have paid hundreds of millions to own the clubs want to stop people from posting clips from back in the day? The content is still available, but rightly it is protected and controlled by those who own it.

If you prefer a game with less frills, go and support the under age teams, or the women's team. But don't complain when we have fought so hard to get to where we are.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Personally, I prefer the modern game and count myself lucky to have a club that has fought to get to the top of the tree. I don't understand this, it was better when it was shit mentality.

It's all positive as far as I can see.

State of the art stadiums.

The worlds best players coming to our ground.

The worlds best managers, Trying to out think each other.

No morons wanting to have a scrap on crumbling old terraces.

Better TV coverage and online statistics and discussion.

So what if the owners who have paid hundreds of millions to own the clubs want to stop people from posting clips from back in the day? The content is still available, but rightly it is protected and controlled by those who own it.

If you prefer a game with less frills, go and support the under age teams, or the women's team. But don't complain when we have fought so hard to get to where we are.

Perhaps, if I have a 'problem' this is it. The modern game is no longer about the game but what can be squeezed out of supporters, to the point supporters can't be squeezed any more and the rich tourists take over. I think it is too simplistic to ignore that the corporate machine is depriving the supporter of interest in our history by making us pay for something that was free up until now. Brush it under the carpet, until something else happens, and something else. Until the only way you can see your club in any way, shape or form is to pay for it. However I do agree with some points you make, stadia, better players, managers, less thuggery, but at no point did I even contradict this anyway.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Perhaps, if I have a 'problem' this is it. The modern game is no longer about the game but what can be squeezed out of supporters, to the point supporters can't be squeezed any more and the rich tourists take over. I think it is too simplistic to ignore that the corporate machine is depriving the supporter of interest in our history by making us pay for something that was free up until now. Brush it under the carpet, until something else happens, and something else. Until the only way you can see your club in any way, shape or form is to pay for it. However I do agree with some points you make, stadia, better players, managers, less thuggery, but at no point did I even contradict this anyway.

Personally I think you are talking about the very top end ...where we are not and the rest of the premier league (if we keep it to the top tier of English football) ...and we aren’t anywhere near that top bit ...look at the faces of the crowd at a ground like Stoke they don’t look a disenfranchised lot to me.
Have you thought about taking up walking in the countryside..it might chill you out a bit

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Personally I think you are talking about the very top end ...where we are not and the rest of the premier league (if we keep it to the top tier of English football) ...and we aren’t anywhere near that top bit ...look at the faces of the crowd at a ground like Stoke they don’t look a disenfranchised lot to me.
Have you thought about taking up walking in the countryside..it might chill you out a bit

Perfectly 'chilled out' thanks very much. And despite the condescending remark I can't see one of my posts where I sound/read like Mr Angry.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
The game has improved because of the money. All the cooperate stuff you dislike is purely focused on improving the quality of the game. The clubs spend almost every pound of the money they generate on investing on players, this draws the worlds best players to our competition. We are privileged to see them, and the cost is not so different to any other form of world class entertainment.

I agree we are at the limit affordability for average supporters, but I also hope that our current owner, as a fan, is mindful of the need to keep the core support.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I agree we are at the limit affordability for average supporters, but I also hope that our current owner, as a fan, is mindful of the need to keep the core support.

And I too am in agreement here, however the squeeze put on these clubs, like ours, means they end up having no choice but to explore every financial opportunity.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
And I too am in agreement here, however the squeeze put on these clubs, like ours, means they end up having no choice but to explore every financial opportunity.

Not necessarily, as the investment made in our accedemy is an indication that we plan to develop our own talent. We could be more like an Ajax of the past than a present day Manchester United.

Money doesn't guarantee success, but a superior team generally does. With good coaching and talented youth players we can still achieve great things in the future without selling our soul completely.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The main reason I and some mates wanted us promoted was for TB, to stop the huge annual accounting losses, where he always had to pick up the financial tab. Also, to break the hoodoo of recent heart breaks.

There’s something special about the other divisions. The players crowd surfing and boozing with fans last April NEVER happens in the PL. Arrogant Aguero, Ozil etc are protected by arrogant security guards, working for arrogant clubs. Fans don’t get anywhere near the Beats headphone wearing primadonnas.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here