Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Terry Downes RIP

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
One of my dad's favourite boxers whose family boxed in York Hall Bethnal Green - remember seeing him on 60s b&w telly and a truly resilient fighter in the same mode as my favourite Roberto Duran.

RIP big fella

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
What a fighter. One of only two to defeat the great Sugar Ray Robinson.
RIP you were great to watch.

Downes said he didn’t beat Robinson, he beat the ghost of Robinson as he was 41 at the time of their fight. Downes certainly achieved a lot considering he only boxed for 8 or 9 years. World Champion for 10 months and wins over 3 reigning or former World Champs in Robinson, Paul Pender and Joey Giardello. RIP

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Downes said he didn’t beat Robinson, he beat the ghost of Robinson as he was 41 at the time of their fight. Downes certainly achieved a lot considering he only boxed for 8 or 9 years. World Champion for 10 months and wins over 3 reigning or former World Champs in Robinson, Paul Pender and Joey Giardello. RIP

Was just going to post the quote from Wikipedia. .......

One of the most impressive scalps of Downes' 8-year career was that of*Sugar Ray Robinson*in the autumn of 1962. Robinson was, however, 41 at the time, and when asked after the fight how it felt to beat a boxer of such esteem, Downes famously replied, "I didn't beat Sugar Ray, I beat his ghost."[citation needed]

That's the mark of a true fighter the likes of which we don't see today..very humble. I didn't know but he served in the USMC as teenager no doubt a good grounding for his subsequent career.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It was listen for me, not watch. Commentary by Eamon Andrews with inter-round summaries by W. Barrington-Dalby - ah yes, I remember it well (I think!)

Anyway, RIP.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It was listen for me, not watch. Commentary by Eamon Andrews with inter-round summaries by W. Barrington-Dalby - ah yes, I remember it well (I think!)

Anyway, RIP.

Forgot Eammon Andrews did commentary he was good as was the fell who most recently passed Terry what's his name - both legends.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Not to denigrate the legacy of a truly great boxer, but he lost to a lot more than that - Randy Turpin, Joey Maxim, Gene Fullmer, Carmen Basilio and Paul Pender for starters - and these weren't just at the end of his career either, all were before he fought Downes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One of the most impressive scalps of Downes' 8-year career was that of*Sugar Ray Robinson*in the autumn of 1962. Robinson was, however, 41 at the time, and when asked after the fight how it felt to beat a boxer of such esteem, Downes famously replied, "I didn't beat Sugar Ray, I beat his ghost."[citation needed]

That's the mark of a true fighter the likes of which we don't see today..very humble.
Indeed. Like Mayweather beat the ghost of Pacquiao.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Not to denigrate the legacy of a truly great boxer, but he lost to a lot more than that - Randy Turpin, Joey Maxim, Gene Fullmer, Carmen Basilio and Paul Pender for starters - and these weren't just at the end of his career either, all were before he fought Downes.

Yes I think his fights took their toll. I only boxed to 16 but a broken jaw ruled me out - different days with h&s

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Was just going to post the quote from Wikipedia. .......

That's the mark of a true fighter the likes of which we don't see today..very humble. I didn't know but he served in the USMC as teenager no doubt a good grounding for his subsequent career.

I also liked this quote from Wikipedia

Downes was famous for a number of quips. After a particularly brutal fight early in his career against Dick Tiger, Downes was asked who he wanted to fight next. He replied, "The ******* who made this match", in reference to his manager at the time, Mickey Duff.[6]

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Sugar Ray Robinson did lose 19 times mostly at the end of his career, including his loss to Downes.

He did win 173 of his bouts though, so obviously this was a different era in boxing, and why SRR is considered maybe the greatest boxer of all time.

RIP Terry Downes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here