Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just read this on facebook

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If this is coming down from the broadcasters then I guess there is little the club can do. However, if it is the club looking to exploit a very small commercial opportunity then it is extremely disappointing. PB and TB were at the Emirates and witnessed the dire consequences of a club that has put commercial opportunities way ahead of their core supporters. Unfortunately, football fans will visit Arsenal and be astounded at how a great club sold out and now play in front of the worst set of 'supporters'. Arsenal have won nothing since moving to the stadium (yes, they've won the FA cup, a competition that, regrettably, no one has much interest in).

If it is the club, why don't they work together with GR to see how they can use the archive without coming across as corporate bullys?

Without divulging the exact detail, the club have offered to work together in some way. But things wouldn't be as easily accessible or complete as now. They have not been heavy handed in their communication.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I did ask PB if the pressure was coming from the league or the club, for which he politically sidestepped, but I think he was saying the leagues, although I can't be totally sure.

These rights are owned by the Leagues (and broadcasters) not the Club. The copyright to them is protected and cannot be used by anyone without permission. This will normally involve some kind of fee.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just had a quick word with the club - there's no intention at all for all this content to be lost from fans. In fact the aim is to make sure the content remains available to fans.

All sounded very reasonable to me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sounds like corporate bullying to me. After all, whose revenue stream is it damaging? Are they trying to sell it on a subscription channel somewhere, and object to their revenue being undermined by it being available for free, or is it out there on commercial DVDs? A lot of the stuff is over thirty years old anyway, so in what way can they possibly think they're losing out?
No - I didn't think they were. So, not even the excuse of corporate greed, then - just malice or stupidity of some jumped up little pr8t in an office somewhere with nothing better to do.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sounds like corporate bullying to me. After all, whose revenue stream is it damaging? Are they trying to sell it on a subscription channel somewhere, and object to their revenue being undermined by it being available for free, or is it out there on commercial DVDs? A lot of the stuff is over thirty years old anyway, so in what way can they possibly think they're losing out?
No - I didn't think they were. So, not even the excuse of corporate greed, then - just malice or stupidity of some jumped up little pr8t in an office somewhere with nothing better to do.

From what I've been told: none of the above.

There may have been some misunderstanding.

I'm sure it will all be worked out, and the footage will remain available for Albion fans to enjoy for many years to come.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Step away from the gun

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
From what I've been told: none of the above.

There may have been some misunderstanding.

I'm sure it will all be worked out, and the footage will remain available for Albion fans to enjoy for many years to come.
OK, cheers. In my mind, hoping for the best now just nudging ahead of fearing the worst!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don’t think there has been any misunderstanding. The club have informed me that some broadcasters have objected to the channel and have passed on the information that the channel should be closed by me or face being closed with an infringement notice served. The club have behaved in a polite and friendly way. They have also suggested putting some of the footage in a short form on their own YouTube channel with longer versions on their own paid subscription Seagulls TV part of the BHAFC website. I didn’t wish to disclose the latter part publically because it’s still in discussion but I can see not saying so now might give a distorted picture. I hope this clarifies.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Just had a quick word with the club - there's no intention at all for all this content to be lost from fans. In fact the aim is to make sure the content remains available to fans.

For £45 per year even ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For £45 per month ?

To be fair, I think the £45 was for a year, wasn't it? - nevertheless it does look like turning something that was available free into a subscription service.

Mind you, if the videos do get added to Seagulls TV, and they get their act together to give good coverage of the pre-season friendlies and a reasonable selection of DS matches, that's starting to look like a package I might just be tempted to give one more try next year............

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton

At a subscription price no doubt?!

They'll make out of it, bet your bottom dollar!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Seagull Saz

Aug 18, 2013
You could change the channel name and make all the videos Private or Unlisted for now, for possible reinstatement at a later date? Seems a shame to remove them completely, after gathering them all in one place.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Available but at a cost.

GR has spent years putting this site together, tracking down archive material and gaining permission from the owners to use it. Some of these clips have not been free and some of these clips others have chipped in to help obtain so how can these 'broadcasters' have a claim?

Nobody was interested enough to make the effort to track down these clips before, not even the club, so it's a bit of a cheek to try to get all this material now and on the cheap.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Dunno.

What communication have you had and from whom?

[MENTION=78]timco[/MENTION] was asked to take down www.albionalbum.co.uk by the club, but managed to agree an approach that left the site in tact.

TBF Bozza (Did you notice your staring role at Arsenal?) it was the huge amount of communication that the club got, some of it abusive which I never condone, which got them to soften.

Like this one it was all commercial contracts blah blah blah I still await a knock on the door from the PL.

I also separated my videos off into their own channel on youtube and if I get told to take them down I will move them to a Russian site where the PL and their highly paid sharks have no power.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don’t think there has been any misunderstanding. The club have informed me that some broadcasters have objected to the channel and have passed on the information that the channel should be closed by me or face being closed with an infringement notice served. The club have behaved in a polite and friendly way. They have also suggested putting some of the footage in a short form on their own YouTube channel with longer versions on their own paid subscription Seagulls TV part of the BHAFC website. I didn’t wish to disclose the latter part publically because it’s still in discussion but I can see not saying so now might give a distorted picture. I hope this clarifies.

And that's the crux of it... money, money, money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here