Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wales v Rep of Ireland

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Two tournaments warrants an 's' on tournament. It is what's known as plural.

Oh yes, forgot the 1958 World Cup. A tournament they didn't actually qualify for but ended up playing and beating Israel in a playoff because other countries refused to play them! So actually they have only ever qualified for one tournament in their entire history! Still at least they have fun when they are there, we will miss their joviality in Russia!

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
We have got two old school centre-backs who love to defend. Bloody love it!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh yes, forgot the 1958 World Cup. A tournament they didn't actually qualify for but ended up playing and beating Israel in a playoff because other countries refused to play them! So actually they have only ever qualified for one tournament in their entire history! Still at least they have fun when they are there, we will miss their joviality in Russia!

Well, we didn't qualify for 1966 either.............

Wales have been good value at 2 out of 2 tournaments. The Irish have hoofed through several using semi-English players. That's why I'd have preferred a Welsh success tonight, but hey, I'm not that bothered. TBH, I'd still rather England just pulled out of the bloody thing now.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Wales have been good value at 2 out of 2 tournaments. The Irish have hoofed through several using semi-English players.

If you have a problem with the Irish using several "semi-English players", I have no idea why you have a preference for Wales. Of the 23-man squad that has competed for Wales in the two internationals this weekend, a MAJORITY (12, to be exact), were born in England.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you have a problem with the Irish using several "semi-English players", I have no idea why you have a preference for Wales. Of the 23-man squad that has competed for Wales in the two internationals this weekend, a MAJORITY (12, to be exact), were born in England.
Well, Wales is a bit nearer! Maybe their Mums nipped over the border for a more convenient maternity hospital. I don't particularly have a problem with the Anglo-Irish, but come on, in the Jacky Charlton days it was pushed to its limits.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Well, Wales is a bit nearer! Maybe their Mums nipped over the border for a more convenient maternity hospital.

Yep, that must be it. Let's see:-

Jonny Williams, born in Pembury, Kent, came up through Palace's academy.
Sam Vokes, born in Southampton, came up through the Bournemouth academy.
Hal Robson-Kanu, born in Acton, came up through the academies at Arsenal and Reading

etc etc

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The perfect cynical away performance by the Irish, aided by a poor decision by the Welsh comedy keeper (who does he play for again?).and a crap referee.

Coleman made a mistake not staring with Vokes, Duffy was mopping everything up at the back with ease. Losing Joe Allen changed the game, can we sign him please, he never wastes the ball so the Irish did a number on him.

Ireland didn't look much of a footballing team but had the players to stick to a very effective game plan.

Oh well, I'm not Welsh so I'm not crying into my Horlicks, I hope Ireland go to Russia and do alright and Duffy was very good too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep, that must be it. Let's see:-

Jonny Williams, born in Pembury, Kent, came up through Palace's academy.
Sam Vokes, born in Southampton, came up through the Bournemouth academy.
Hal Robson-Kanu, born in Acton, came up through the academies at Arsenal and Reading

etc etc

It was not a desperately serious comment!

Don't worry, I'm not really bothered. Taking one thing and another into consideration I came to the conclusion that I would have marginally favoured a win for the Welsh - about 60-40 I guess. That seems to make me a minority on here, where may seem to have come out in favour of the Irish (probably for equally trivial considerations). OK, that's fine; it's not a big issue. I'm not looking for an argument!

.......oh, and by the way (although I'm sure you know it already!), Shane Duffy was an Irish youth international......for Northern Ireland!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Coleman may end up at Palace once they've sacked Roy after Palace lose their first 15 games.

I doubt if he could perform the same sort of miracle there that he did for Wales because he wouldn't have a Gareth Bale or an Aaron Ramsey. Oh wait, I'm forgetting Zahaha and Puncheon .... Palace are as good as safe then.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Wales were doomed before they started yesterday....clackers on the seats! I doubt even a fit Gareth Bale could have overcome that.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Without trawling through the previous pages so maybe fixtures! There was a strong Albion (Ireland) v Palace (Wales) link last night. Duffy plus ex-Albion Ward and Vokes in the Irish line up and Hennessey, Ledley, Williams and manager Coleman for Wales. No wonder the Welsh recorded a L far far too much Palace. Does this count as another L or at least a 1/4 L :lolol::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here