Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ticket priority system is not quite fair

BaKeRz25

Oct 6, 2017
Bristol
As someone also living a fair way from Brighton (Cardiff) I can sympathise with your plight. I am gutted but not surprised that the Swansea game has sold out and will mean that I'll have to go in the home end but, having experienced this at the Hereford game, and occasionally at Ninian Park, I'm sure I'll cope. That said, to be honest I can't see any fairer way of allocating tickets than the one that's currently employed by the Club.

I'm glad you understand aberllefenni its nice to see someone over this area as well haha I think I may just try the home end for Swansea

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Hello everyone, I finally decided to make an account of this website as I've always been a reader but never much to say until now.

I was born in Brighton but moved to Cornwall when I was young (quite far away) and am now a student in Bristol. This meant that I could finally have a chance to watch the team play as its very difficult for me to get to Brighton (time and money). I saw the Cardiff away game last year which ended goalless but was still so amazing to finally see the lads!

The club is finally in the premier league where they should be and every fan wants to watch them play but the fans who live in Brighton and get to see them every week (or nearly) get priority over the ones who aren't so lucky and only have a chance to watch them when they're away nearby. These people can collect points and buy seasons tickets etc and have an edge over the distant fans who can only get to so many games. For fans like me who really one get that one opportunity when the team is nearby its really disappointing to find out that its sold out before you even had a chance (Swansea away today).

Now it looks like I wont be able to watch the team play at all this season which is so annoying as I just want to see my club playing in the best league in the world. I understand the system is set up to reward loyalty but some fans just cant 'afford' the loyalty but does that really mean we should be pushed to the bottom of the pecking order. :(

I was also a student in Bristol. Partly as a result of my own idleness I was always skint; to the point where I even had to decline the offer of a lift (from Bozza) to go and see us at Stoke because I couldn't afford a ticket. I saw us play whenever I was back here but sadly (for me) this means that I missed a very large chunk of our glory Adams/Zamora years. Over the 4 years up there I ended up watching the Gas more than Albion, simply through convenience or circumstance. As someone else has said, it's just one of those things. Choices etc.

My advice is to indulge in as much random sex, drugs and alcohol abuse as possible.

Also, you can get the Megabus from Bristol to Brighton for a tenner so do that and see us here instead.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
How would going to Burton and Lincoln help? No ST, no priority, even if you went to every away game.

Plus, I imagine its impossible for someone to have given up their season ticket after four years and got one again at the start of last season, the ST queue was a good 5,000 strong at that point.

Apologies - ST and away games. Why should someone with an ST who does away games too lose out to someone who doesn't have a season ticket and just fancies the odd away game? I understand that it wasn't a problem last season or the season before etc etc, but it is now and the people who have earned it through the last few years are rightfully first in the queue.

and there were lots of people who had a year out and rejoined. The ST queue was not 5000 strong halfway through 2015/16 season. They were even offering half season tickets that year at Christmas.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I live up north, it's highly unlikely I won't be able to see Brighton play this season but I'm not going to complain. Those who have season tickets aught to have priority as they have sacrificed a chunk of money for that privilege.

Perhaps the club could do something for us fans who are not in Brighton to have dibs on left overs if we were registered on a database - nonetheless, there is no real way to make allocation of highly sought after tickets fair. There will be winners and losers, unfortunately that's life.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
These loyalty points threads are getting tedious now, I agree. But I still want to point out that your sarcasm is totally misplaced here, because under the current system the club is rewarding those that haven't bothered going away unless its a London game or we're in the premier league.

Those who used to go away frequently but don't have a season-ticket, can't get an away ticket any more. We're disappointed, but sucking it up. We know it will get better. Less of the sarcasm though eh?

Nobody is more against the 'ST points' than me, as previous posts will show. They are not at all necessary.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hello everyone, I finally decided to make an account of this website as I've always been a reader but never much to say until now.

I was born in Brighton but moved to Cornwall when I was young (quite far away) and am now a student in Bristol. This meant that I could finally have a chance to watch the team play as its very difficult for me to get to Brighton (time and money). I saw the Cardiff away game last year which ended goalless but was still so amazing to finally see the lads!

The club is finally in the premier league where they should be and every fan wants to watch them play but the fans who live in Brighton and get to see them every week (or nearly) get priority over the ones who aren't so lucky and only have a chance to watch them when they're away nearby. These people can collect points and buy seasons tickets etc and have an edge over the distant fans who can only get to so many games. For fans like me who really one get that one opportunity when the team is nearby its really disappointing to find out that its sold out before you even had a chance (Swansea away today).

Now it looks like I wont be able to watch the team play at all this season which is so annoying as I just want to see my club playing in the best league in the world. I understand the system is set up to reward loyalty but some fans just cant 'afford' the loyalty but does that really mean we should be pushed to the bottom of the pecking order. :(

But there are fans in Brighton who will travel to Swansea, Huddersfield, Burnley, Stoke, Newcastle, not because they are their 'close by' games, but because they travel everywhere to see their team.

You can watch your team every home game if you so wish, general sale tickets are available. Your trip from Cornwall to the Amex is no different from many of the away trips our highest loyalty point holders make regularly. How could you claim to get a ticket over those people that go to all home games and a majority of aways, just because an away game is convenient for you? :shrug:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Apologies - ST and away games. Why should someone with an ST who does away games too lose out to someone who doesn't have a season ticket and just fancies the odd away game? I understand that it wasn't a problem last season or the season before etc etc, but it is now and the people who have earned it through the last few years are rightfully first in the queue.

They shouldn't, I was just correcting you. Because there is too much patronising crap hurled at people who DID got to Burton and/or Lincoln and/or Rotherham, but now can't get an away ticket.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
I think loyalty points should be awarded in direction proportion to the number of minor punctuation points used by supporters so we can be sure that everyone who gets a ticket is able to write a post that can be read without feeling like youre going to run out of breath

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Living abroad it doesn't affect me anymore, in fact if i was offered a ticket for a big game now, as i have in the past, i would probably turn it down, that would include a cup final.

My tuppence on the subject though is that those with the most loyalty points should absolutely be rewarded, they should have first dibs on tickets, they've earned that right.
But...... When i lived in Scotland i and other Bhalbas would regularly travel to all games north of Birmingham, that surely must count for something, it was still quite often as far for us as anyone from Brighton, with the exception of our local game.... Carlisle. Did we get loyalty points? No, you could pay on the gate, there rarely was that many there.
I guess my point is, the past is the past, it cant be changed but maybe the club should introduce an away membership scheme (we used to have one iirc) whereby having a season ticket has no bearing on the points accumulated, a pecentage of tickets could be made available to members of the scheme on a first come first served basis.
There was a time when all tickets were sold first come first served, yes they went on sale to sth's first, but then we didnt have 20 odd thousand sth's.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Living abroad it.

What is it with expats always telling us they live abroad? When it comes to telling people about your status you're worse than vegans.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As someone in the Tier 1 bracket, I think saving a small proportion (10%?) of away tickets back for random or locals would be a great idea. Despite the fact this would probably knock me into Tier 2.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Lets scarp the whole system so that those who haven't been to (m)any away games in the past can have the option of going now. Particulary for the games in London Southamton Manchester and Liverpool.

How do we achieve this? Easy make every game pay at the turnstyle. Yes you may have to get to the ground at 10 in the morning for a tea time kick off, and get soaked by the pouring rain and still get turned away.
But at least all those that don't have enough points will stop shouting about how unfair the current system is due to the fact they now want to go to an away game but didnt in the past.
Getting back from a midweek game at 5 in the morning deserves to be rewarded.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Lets scarp the whole system so that those who haven't been to (m)any away games in the past can have the option of going now. Particulary for the games in London Southamton Manchester and Liverpool.

How do we achieve this? Easy make every game pay at the turnstyle. Yes you may have to get to the ground at 10 in the morning for a tea time kick off, and get soaked by the pouring rain and still get turned away.
But at least all those that don't have enough points will stop shouting about how unfair the current system is due to the fact they now want to go to an away game but didnt in the past.

I'm sensing that you don't agree with the OP.

kjgood

There is a huge assumption there. There are many fans that used to go to games that were pay on the gate in some really sh1tty locations when they could and those attendances are not recorded anywhere. Please dont assume that people only want to go now. Not everyone is financially able or mobile enough to travel to the AMEX every other week, that doesnt make them a lesser supporter of the club, they just cant go as often to those who are fortunate to be in that position.

But now we are famous those people who may have lived and breathed the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean years are being excluded and as other threads have discussed are likely to fall further down the pecking order (Until or if we become not so famous again) BTW those fans paying on the gate when they could helped keep the club running when we had nothing and made up a fair proportion of the 300 - 500 we took to Swindon and Rotherham and lower league Swansea midweek and other such exciting places.

Those people are not lesser fans than those who have become involved since we have a lovely stadium and playing Manure.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
PB should assemble those wishing to attend such aways in the Bennett's Field Car Park. In good old playground fashion, he then luzzes 2,500 or so golden tickets into the air and

playground-brawl-big.jpg

BUNDLE

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
What is it with expats always telling us they live abroad? When it comes to telling people about your status you're worse than vegans.

I live abroad btw, did i mention that :lol:

Sorry if it offends you, will try to refrain in the future, just for you :thumbsup:

Im not a vegan though, love a bit of steak personally, bloodier the better :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here