Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South America WC Qualifying

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
south american qualifying does always look brilliant though- ultra competitive, big rivalries, temperamental players, raucous fans- it's got the lot

would love to see Peru qualify as they have a great kit

Absolutely this - looks miles more exciting than our qualifying. Properly competitive, good standard of football, and not a closed shop in terms of who qualifies each time.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tell that to the Dutch.

You are right though.

Europe always throws up a couple of utterly stupid groups. Spain and Italy- what's that about ?

Then there's England's group.....

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
One game left, bloody hell it's tight.

Team that finishes in fifth place will play New Zealand in a play-off.

2ahgtow.png

Final round of fixtures:

2d9b7eh.png

Ask yourself this South America is what 10 countries (?) YET four W/cup places Well done Javo.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
My daughter and her husband are in Peru and watched the Argentina game on a big screen in the town where they are staying
Said it was a brilliant atmosphere (unlike Wembley)
and they are looking forward to the decider on Tuesday night

I wish I was out there :(

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'll go with Colombia and Argentina winning, Peru and Chile losing, so Chile in 5th and Peru miss out.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Would be so much better to have 2 tiers of qualifying in Europe. Groups of 8 with like 3 through, 1 play-off and 1 down would be awesome.

The 2nd tier could also play much more meaningful games and build, plus some of them would get to play England and the other home nations.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Absolutely this - looks miles more exciting than our qualifying. Properly competitive, good standard of football, and not a closed shop in terms of who qualifies each time.

Although Venezuela have NEVER qualified for the world cup. They must be well-cheesed off

Ask yourself this South America is what 10 countries (?) YET four W/cup places Well done Javo.

I almost added to my earlier post that I was surprised they only had four guaranteed places in this era of WC expansion. They have more ability and bring so much more to the WC experience than teams like Egypt or Slovakia ever do

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
The last matches have just finished.

Argentina predictably sneak in after being crap for several weeks, Chile and Paraguay bottle it, Peru make the play-off and will now play New Zealand.

24xp7nk.png

20v15ox.png

Oh, and the yanks couldn't even make the play-offs in their group:laugh:

fc3bja.png

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Oh, and the yanks couldn't even make the play-offs in their group:laugh:

fc3bja.png

Indeed, and to make it more fun, Panama's first goal in their come-from-behind 2-1 win over Costa Rica never actually crossed the line. If that hadn't counted, Honduras go to the WC, the Yanks play off against Mat Ryan and Panama stay home. Oh dear, such a shame, eh?

This is Panama's first 'goal'. Quite how it was ever given, I'll never know. A penalty, yes, but a goal? Well, maybe if it had gone over the line . . .

PS Take a look at the 2nd Trinidad and Tobago goal. The own goal is quite sweet too.

Last edited:

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Was outside a bar here that had the CR V Panama game on and heard a massive cheer. The score was 1-1 before so assumed CR had taken the lead. Went inside to check it out and saw Panama were 2-1 up. Perplexed I checked the BBC live tables and realised that meant that the USA missed out. Marvellous scenes! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I hope non of the Columbian score an own goal.

Remember Andres Escobar RIP.

For those who don't

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrés_Escobar

"The murder was widely believed to be a punishment for the own goal.In the UK, the BBC issued a public apology after its football pundit Alan Hansen commented during the match between Argentina and Romania that "the Argentine defender warrants shooting for a mistake like that", on July 3, a day after the murder of Escobar"

:facepalm: Couldn't remember that, is it wrong to think that's hysterical?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here