Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For you, who HAS to be at a World Cup?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Senegal, because one of my most memorable WC moments was them with Diouf & Diao beating France 1-0 in the tournament opener a few years ago.

A Portugal can **** off.

Senegal will go top of their (very close) group if they beat South Africa on Tuesday.

I agree re Portugal. Disgraceful team who bring nothing to the tournament but cheating, snidiness and petulance.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Useful link to see who has qualified / who still has a chance etc

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/index.html

I'm sure its probably been answered before, but why are Australia in Asia qualifying and not Oceania?

NZ playing Solomon Islands in a play-off to get into a play-off with South America.

Aus playing Syria in a play-off to get into a play-off with CONCACAF

Why not just give Oceania a spot and let the South America and CONCACAF play-off?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Germans need to be there, you need to be in it to win it.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Brazil.

Because of 1970.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
An honourable mention for the USA. I don't think I've can remember them being nervous or defensive, they seem to go for it and have a great attitude.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm sure its probably been answered before, but why are Australia in Asia qualifying and not Oceania?

NZ playing Solomon Islands in a play-off to get into a play-off with South America.

Aus playing Syria in a play-off to get into a play-off with CONCACAF

Why not just give Oceania a spot and let the South America and CONCACAF play-off?

Australia applied to join the AFC around 15 years ago for a couple of reasons:
a) Once they'd beaten NZ as they nearly always did, World cup qualification always came down to a crap shoot play off against 5th in South America.
b) They wanted entry into the AFC equivalent of the Euros every 4 years as a way to play regular competitive football and a chance to develop the game there.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tournaments are generally better without England :thumbsup:

I'd like to throw in PARAGUAY, simply because they were the first team I completed in Mexico 86 Panini album.

So you think 74,78 and 94 were all better tournaments than the ones we've been in?

(excluding those pre 1950)

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
It's just not going to be the same without dear old Uncle Sepp presiding over proceedings :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here