Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's a sad inditement

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I used to quite enjoy the Home Internationals in the 70s especially if there was a Brighton interest which there was on the very odd occasion with Peter O'Sullivan playing for Wales and Sammy Morgan for Northern Ireland.

........and John Napier and Willie Irvine........

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
........and John Napier and Willie Irvine........
Both just before my time. I saw them both (I believe) but don't really remember them that well as it was early days for me. Looked them up though and Napier got just the one cap for N Ireland in 1966 against W Germany so never played in a home international. Irvine on the other hand played and scored against both England and Wales.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I used to go to almost every England home game back in the day.
I don’t go anymore, nothing to do with the standard of football, it’s all to do with that poxy BAND.
Get rid of that monstrosity, I will start to go again.
They wind me up beyond ****in belief

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Were u there? If no then just be quiet. 67,000 will probably be the most attended game tonight.

Aren't England officially the team with the highest attendances in WC qualifiers for Russia - that's worldwide. Forget who was second, someone like DR Congo....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
indictment

FFS

(but, yes, it stank to high heaven; just like Emirates at the weekend.)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Both just before my time. I saw them both (I believe) but don't really remember them that well as it was early days for me. Looked them up though and Napier got just the one cap for N Ireland in 1966 against W Germany so never played in a home international. Irvine on the other hand played and scored against both England and Wales.

Yeh, but they were Brighton players, and they were full internationals! Believe me, that was f**kin' marvellous!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
American football. the only 60 minute match that lasts 3 hours!

Exactly. You get your money's worth because they make sure that every second of every minute is played - unlike football, where the ball is in play for far, far less than 90 minutes. Around 62 - 63 minutes on average.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Exactly. You get your money's worth because they make sure that every second of every minute is played - unlike football, where the ball is in play for far, far less than 90 minutes. Around 62 - 63 minutes on average.

So the ball is in play for more time in football than American football...

I went to the first ever NFL match in the UK and it was one of the most tedious things I have ever seen - and I was a massive fan of the C4 highlights programme.

NFL is definitely a game made for TV.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
So the ball is in play for more time in football than American football...

I went to the first ever NFL match in the UK and it was one of the most tedious things I have ever seen - and I was a massive fan of the C4 highlights programme.

NFL is definitely a game made for TV.

In American football the ball is in play for the full game is 60 minutes 100%. In football it's approx 68%. You get more bang for your bucks despite or in spite of the average game time of 3 to 3.5 hours. I was a sceptic until I watched learnt the rules then eventually played.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The "lady has an opinion" enough said. :thumbsup:

So does the original poster.

I agree that 65000 is poor, and you don’t have to be in attendance to offer an opinion.

When I was growing up with the exception of the home internationals every game was a sell-out. Perhaps it’s time to move the games around the country, but does that then make Wembley unviable?

Some on NSC do seem to have a habit of provoking/poking people rather than entering into debate....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

I agree that 65000 is poor, and you don’t have to be in attendance to offer an opinion.

When I was growing up with the exception of the home internationals every game was a sell-out. Perhaps it’s time to move the games around the country, but does that then make Wembley unviable?

Some on NSC do seem to have a habit of provoking/poking people rather than entering into debate....

She trolled me on the Amex expansion thread and eventually conceded then started on this one. I have every right to my opinion which only one person disagreed with. :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
She trolled me on the Amex expansion thread and eventually conceded then started on this one. I have every right to my opinion which only one person disagreed with. :thumbsup:

I posted two articles with facts. That's neither trolling nor conceding.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

No, 65,000 is brilliant to watch a team ranked that low. (Unless of course the tickets were only £10 in which case it's about right). In 1984 I saw England play East Germany at Wembley and the attendance was less than 24,000. And in those days you could POTG, indeed I only went as a spur-of-the-moment things as I was working in North London that day.

Not surprised the NFL attendances are higher though, it's a far better sport.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Would be nice for a change if an England international match at Wembley, was played on a Saturday afternoon.
I'm sure the stadium would be full then.

The American football was played on a Sunday.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I blame Ken Bates. Wembley should never have been built, it was too expensive and it now means that every single football match worth anything is played there, thus devaluing the whole experience hugely.

Had they built the national stadium centrally near Birmingham or Coventry, it would cost about a quarter of the price, London would STILL have four or five 60k+ stadiums within a decade (especially if you count Twickenham as that seats 82k!) and crucially, the FA would have been able to afford to move England games around the country.

You can't compare American football attendances - they are high because we only get two matches per NFL season. Besides, nobody is saying the NFL is on it's knees while the LA Chargers are failing to sell out their 27,000 stadium in the same era that the big European and Mexican football clubs play friendly matches in front of 90,000.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here