Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Stones and Cahill are so dodgy as a pair. Even tiny Slovenia, away from home, ran through them. Who gives a xxxx about Stones Hollywood passing, when he’s NOT a cast iron CB?

As recently as Ferdinand, Terry and Campbell, we had an illustrious history of great CB’s. We were spoilt but didn’t realise it at the time, perhaps?

And Ledley King who if it wasn't for injury would have been better than all of them. Not forgetting Jamie Carragher either - they would have all been in a squad at the same time.

I saw a thing on Twitter the other day that showed our side from about 2004, keeper aside it was brilliant:

James;
Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole;
Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes;
Rooney, Owen.

That is a tournament winning side if only we had a manager capable of making them play together at the time.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
And Ledley King who if it wasn't for injury would have been better than all of them. Not forgetting Jamie Carragher either - they would have all been in a squad at the same time.

I saw a thing on Twitter the other day that showed our side from about 2004, keeper aside it was brilliant:

James;
Rooney, Owen.

That is a tournament winning side if only we had a manager capable of making them play together at the time.

4 Central Midfielders there though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

James;
Rooney, Owen.

It's not just about having a good player in each position though. At the very least they need to be able to have the ability to play together; sum greater than the parts etc. All Lampard and Gerrard ever did was repeated prove they couldn't. There's also a lot more to final tournament football as well, and sadly this team and the manager fell flat in these areas.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know I'm biased but......
Solly March would give England's midfield something they do not have.......balance.[/QUOTE

I would think there are a few who would be in front of Solly at he moment as a wide player. Some struggle to get in their club side regularly but would walk into our side.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Chris Waddle just suggested the answer to our central midfield issues is Jonjo Shelvey. Bloody hell.

Maybe he thinks he'll bring Harry Potter along with him.....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

James;
Rooney, Owen.

Great post, although I thought James wasn’t world class.

From my earliest memories of England, I remember club tribalism and general British jeolousy/wishing ill of the successful, meaning many stars of each era were slagged off playing for England:

Waddle, Barnes, Liverpool players in the 70’s, Wilkins, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Ferdinand, Hoddle etc. Wembley booing of a couple of England players was common:

How England could do with those talents in the prime right now!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It's not just about having a good player in each position though. At the very least they need to be able to have the ability to play together; sum greater than the parts etc. All Lampard and Gerrard ever did was repeated prove they couldn't. There's also a lot more to final tournament football as well, and sadly this team and the manager fell flat in these areas.

I disagree. Those midfielders were all special players and intelligent enough to make it work if they were organised effectively.

Unfortunately, we had a disastrous manager. I hold Sven largely responsible for the negativity, culture and general malaise surrounding England these days. His 6/7 years in charge held us back massively.

We should have won a tournament and with a tactically astute manager, able to get the best out of his players we would have done. Greece won the European Championships!

I would say that if the Chris Hughton (yes I know he's Irish) of 2017 was manager we would have won Euro 2004/world cup 2006. In fact, we'd be doing a lot better if he was the manager now.

boik

Great post, although I thought James wasn’t world class.

From my earliest memories of England, I remember club tribalism and general British jeolousy/wishing ill of the successful, meaning many stars of each era were slagged off playing for England:

Waddle, Barnes, Liverpool players in the 70’s, Wilkins, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Ferdinand, Hoddle etc. Wembley booing of a couple of England players was common:

How England could do with those talents in the prime right now!

The one we miss most is Scholes in his prime, before manager insisting on playing him out of position. His ability to lure opposition in before turning it round the corner to a player in space, not mention his long passing and eye for a goal. I know we're not meant to like United players, but he was something truly special and we wasted him at international level.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I cannot believe that I am even contemplating watching the game this evening after the total dross that was served up the other night.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I disagree. Those midfielders were all special players and intelligent enough to make it work if they were organised effectively.

Unfortunately, we had a disastrous manager. I hold Sven largely responsible for the negativity, culture and general malaise surrounding England these days. His 6/7 years in charge held us back massively.

We should have won a tournament and with a tactically astute manager, able to get the best out of his players we would have done. Greece won the European Championships!

I would say that if the Chris Hughton (yes I know he's Irish) of 2017 was manager we would have won Euro 2004/world cup 2006. In fact, we'd be doing a lot better if he was the manager now.

I don't agree with this one bit. The England team have fallen well short of what's required to succeed at tournaments and the manager is just a part of it. And what the current inability has got to do with Sven, from 12 years ago, I'll never know.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I cannot believe that I am even contemplating watching the game this evening after the total dross that was served up the other night.

Did you say the same about the Albion a few years ago when #BrightonNil was trending all over the place? We were awful to watch but fans stand by their team, good times and bad. ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Leicester won the PL, that doesn't mean all teams should expect to win.

I would say that if the Chris Hughton (yes I know he's Irish) of 2017 was manager we would have won Euro 2004/world cup 2006.
That's a pretty big assumption.

Did you say the same about the Albion a few years ago when #BrightonNil was trending all over the place? We were awful to watch but fans stand by their team, good times and bad. ???
I guess I've always felt love for our club, who give everything despite the lack of money and therefore talent etc. The FA have killed England, so it's difficult to keep caring.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon

I have never tired of supporting the Albion and supported them no matter what, watching whenever I can. Like Triggaaar though, I am finding it difficult to care about watching England these days.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Just read on the BBC that Winks has made only 4 PL starts for Spurs. I'm sure he's a decent prospect, but hardly proven at the top level. Doesn't seem you need to do much to earn an England call-up these days

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Would he have stopped Rooney getting injured in 04?

That's what stopped us winning that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here