Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How agonising/heroic will Scotland's failure to reach the World Cup be?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Would be amusing if Wales ended up playing off against the Brave Scots to qualify for Russia :lol:

I saw Ashley Williams on SSN last night saying that after Wales got to the semi final "everyone expected them to walk the group".

Really Ashley? I didn't.

Yoda

English & European
Scotland to draw their final game but other results meaning the finish in 9th out of the play off placing teams table and not qualifying.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's ridiculous. We qualify for all tournaments while they qualify for none, because we beat teams while they lose. We're nowhere near as shit as them.

Well yes, that's fair enough, I feel the same. But that doesn't suddenly make us close to Scotland's level of shit.

We are marginally less shit than them on the world stage but we are still shit. Back in the day we were quite good so laughing at Scotland was what we did. Now we are close to their level of shitness it is just daft imo, but you carry on laughing at them if you like, I can actually relate to them now :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I actually think Scotland will be OK, and would love them to qualify for Russia. The boy Leigh Griffiths takes a mean free kick.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I saw Ashley Williams on SSN last night saying that after Wales got to the semi final "everyone expected them to walk the group".

Really Ashley? I didn't.

Yes, that's clearly utter bollocks from Williams. That group always looked exactly how it turned out. Decent teams going for the one plus one, none of them brilliant like a Germany, all capable of taking points off each other. Austria are probably one of the better fourth-placed teams, which means it will be competitive.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I think that, fortunately or unfortunately, the Irish the Scots and the Welsh (to a lesser extent), though equally as enthusiastic as the English, have a significantly lower level of expectation !

So when they don't reach 'Nirvana' (qualifying) they just get on with it and start to address the next competition.

Therefore probably not that agonising for them at all !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We are marginally less shit than them on the world stage but we are still shit. Back in the day we were quite good so laughing at Scotland was what we did. Now we are close to their level of shitness it is just daft imo, but you carry on laughing at them if you like, I can actually relate to them now :shrug:

100% this

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The Slovakian Coach claimed that their baggage was intentionally lost at Glasgow Airport.

I doubt the baggage handlers would deny it. The biggest surprise is that they got it back at all

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wise words.

We qualify before embarrassing ourselves at the tournament. Scotland usually fail to make it, although it is often a close run thing. When you consider our population size compared to theirs, there is no way we are anything other than as shit as they are.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Wise words.

We qualify before embarrassing ourselves at the tournament. Scotland usually fail to make it, although it is often a close run thing. When you consider our population size compared to theirs, there is no way we are anything other than as shit as they are.
I'm clearly living in a parallel universe where being so shit that you can't qualify for a major final in 20 years is the same as qualifying for all of them and getting to the quarter finals on numerous occasions.

I'm no England apologist. Under Hoddle and Sven we had seriously good players undermined by awful management. Since then we've got worse, mainly due to the depth in quality of English players in the PL becoming less and less.

But in comparison to Scotland we've still been ****ing brilliant. There is no comparison. Forget expectation and look at the facts.

What are you guys smoking?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm clearly living in a parallel universe where being so shit that you can't qualify for a major final in 20 years is the same as qualifying for all of them and getting to the quarter finals on numerous occasions.

I'm no England apologist. Under Hoddle and Sven we had seriously good players undermined by awful management. Since then we've got worse, mainly due to the depth in quality of English players in the PL becoming less and less.

But in comparison to Scotland we've still been ****ing brilliant. There is no comparison. Forget expectation and look at the facts.

What are you guys smoking?

England could be a seriously good team if the Managers didn't allow their team selections to be influenced by The Press. They pick the best players from the teams they support and the manager caves in.

The best players don't always make the best team. You need a specific balance of different types of players to play specific role. England managers are railroaded into making certain types of players fit into a specific role where in some cases a less talented player could do that role far better.

And I don't even want to start on the fact that the Press pick the keeper instead of the Manager choosing the one with the best overall ability.

England have great potential but they won't realise it until a Manager with a bit of a backbone is in place. Big Sam would have been a success. It would never have been a silky team to watch but he would have been an effective results driven Manager

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Also cheering on Slovenia although more because of the impact it would have on Ireland's chances more than any desire to see Scotland come up short!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ooooh. Scotland score.

Five or so minutes to get a winner, so they can then lose pluckily in the play offs instead.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Slovenia down to ten men in added time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here