Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Lucas on openly gay footballers...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Matt Lucas says the first openly gay footballers will be icons who'll get "every advertising contract".
The Doctor Who and Little Britain star grew up an Arsenal fan and is now patron of the club's LGBT supporter's group, the Gay Gooners.
He says that, while things are changing in the game, he doesn't expect a professional player to come out for at least five or ten years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entert...rst-openly-gay-footballers-will-be-superstars

Yoda

English & European
Matt Lucas says the first openly gay footballers will be icons who'll get "every advertising contract".
The Doctor Who and Little Britain star grew up an Arsenal fan and is now patron of the club's LGBT supporter's group, the Gay Gooners.
He says that, while things are changing in the game, he doesn't expect a professional player to come out for at least five or ten years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entert...rst-openly-gay-footballers-will-be-superstars

I know who that is, don't think he posts on here though.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Absolutely selfish comment by Matt Lucas.

What he is saying is ''come out - come out. Look you will make loads of money and be an ''icon'' ''

No they won't. They will be a bulls eye target and their lives won't be their own for the rest of their lives. The will get adoration and abuse in equal measures.

I work with loads of people in sporting and media industries and it used to be easy to identify all the ones that were gay before mobile phones came into play because you have to ring them up at home and constantly you would often get their partner at the other end of the phone. With the rise of the mobile phone that route for identification has gone but many sportsmen and women are openly gay to everyone around them. They just don't need to put it in the Sun Newspaper or Twitter or Facebook.

That comment by Matt Lucas is simply saying. ''Come out and make Mega Bucks'' - Quite disgraceful really.

Remember that Russian Band Tatu, the two girls. They said they were gay as a Publicity stunt. One of them actually had a boyfriend at the time, if I recall correctly he was their merchandising manager but they did make loads of money doing it so I suppose Matt Lucas is correct.

It might end up like the Life of Brian film ''I'm Brian - I'm Brian - I'm Brian - No I'm Brian No I'm Brian - No I'm Brian''

Don't tell some celebrities or they will claim to be the first Gay Football Players, whether they play football or not

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Absolutely selfish comment by Matt Lucas.

What he is saying is ''come out - come out. Look you will make loads of money and be an ''icon'' ''

No they won't. They will be a bulls eye target and their lives won't be their own for the rest of their lives. The will get adoration and abuse in equal measures.

I work with loads of people in sporting and media industries and it used to be easy to identify all the ones that were gay before mobile phones came into play because you have to ring them up at home and constantly you would often get their partner at the other end of the phone. With the rise of the mobile phone that route for identification has gone but many sportsmen and women are openly gay to everyone around them. They just don't need to put it in the Sun Newspaper or Twitter or Facebook.

That comment by Matt Lucas is simply saying. ''Come out and make Mega Bucks'' - Quite disgraceful really.

Remember that Russian Band Tatu, the two girls. They said they were gay as a Publicity stunt. One of them actually had a boyfriend at the time, if I recall correctly he was their merchandising manager but they did make loads of money doing it so I suppose Matt Lucas is correct.

It might end up like the Life of Brian film ''I'm Brian - I'm Brian - I'm Brian - No I'm Brian No I'm Brian - No I'm Brian''

Don't tell some celebrities or they will claim to be the first Gay Football Players, whether they play football or not

Bit harsh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Matt Lucas on openly gay footballers...he wishes.

Come on people, that's funny!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Bit harsh.

It wasn't meant to be. I just think it isn't any body's business and has to be an individuals decision because I couldn't give a flying shit who is and who isn't gay. It matters not one jot - And it shouldn't matter to Matt Lucas either

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It wasn't meant to be. I just think it isn't any body's business and has to be an individuals decision because I couldn't give a flying shit who is and who isn't gay. It matters not one jot - And it shouldn't matter to Matt Lucas either

I just watched the clip and didn't think he was saying anything particularly controversial (or new) was all.

Of course it shouldn't matter but unfortunately to millions of people it does. Which is why there are no openly gay football players.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don’t think so, at least not in the Premier League. Look at the bad press Leicester got because of a few of their fans chanting at our fans in August. That would be multiplied ten times over if it was a gay footballer they’d been abusing. No club will allow themselves to be cast as the villain in what will be an even more topical and sensitive issue as soon as a player comes out. And which football fan is going to risk giving a load of grief to a gay player knowing it’ll be a huge story on every news/football show for weeks and their face could well be shown? I really do think the first player to do so will make a fortune, will be an icon and will get a 99% positive reaction from crowds.

I agree they will make a fortune but they won't get 99% positivity.. Money is not the right reason for doing it though. And their private lives won't be their own ever again. And what about their partners who may never want to be in the spotlight but suddenly be thrust into it.

Fame is horrible if you don't court it or want it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don’t think so, at least not in the Premier League. Look at the bad press Leicester got because of a few of their fans chanting at our fans in August. That would be multiplied ten times over if it was a gay footballer they’d been abusing. No club will allow themselves to be cast as the villain in what will be an even more topical and sensitive issue as soon as a player comes out. And which football fan is going to risk giving a load of grief to a gay player knowing it’ll be a huge story on every news/football show for weeks and their face could well be shown? I really do think the first player to do so will make a fortune, will be an icon and will get a 99% positive reaction from crowds.

This

With the exception ofwill get a 99% positive reaction from crowds I think that's somewhat high

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I probably should have said 99% of crowds will either be ambivalent or positive. But in a way, simply ignoring the first openly gay player would actually be the most respectful thing to do. My point is that I think the player would get very little (if any) abuse, firstly because the vast majority of people obviously aren’t homophobic and secondly because the spotlight on the PL is simply too great. The idiots just won’t get away with it once a player comes out and attention on this issue is ramped up to the max. It needs to happen, it will happen and it will be good for everybody when it does.

I concur with your final statement. My issue is with people like Matt Lucas dangling the financial carrot

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I concur with your final statement. My issue is with people like Matt Lucas dangling the financial carrot

I've heard it called many things but..

... A financial carrot, oh well each to their own.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Watched it with the sound off - who are queenie and the other guy in a Brighton shirt - NSC posters?

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
It's just a wonder that football is so behind the times in this respect. Some people are gay. About time the football community got over it!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's just a wonder that football is so behind the times in this respect. Some people are gay. About time the football community got over it!!

maybe we could get over it if people didnt keep on insisting there is a quota of gay footballers that need to come out.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I don't get NSC's obsession with homosexuality, but here is me posting on the thread :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here