Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Agnostic vs Atheist

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Mejona's question of the day

Do people who believe in god (and him creating the world and jesus n all that), not believe in dinosaurs?

I can actually answer this first hand. I once through a bizarre set of circumstances found myself sitting at a charity dinner table with a group of hard core Christians who were in Japan as missionaries.

Utter wankers. They flew in right after the Tsunami with the cynical intention of targeting the weak and vulnerable victims of that disaster as being easy targets for conversion (they didn't put it that way of course). They went up to Tochigi and Fukushima under the guise of "volunteer workers" to "spread the word of God".

And no. They didn't believe in dinosaurs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No way mate. My sister is in to all this business and you have to go through him to get to heaven.
With the greatest of respect, you're sister don't know shit. If there's a god, that doesn't mean it's the god she thought it would be.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
God exists.

You are all going to Croydon.

DavePage

The big bang could be wrong, that is the beauty of science, there is great joy in proving something wrong and discovering a new theory. There is no blind faith in the big bang, it is just our best theory based on the collected data, experiments and observations to date.

Not sure what data, experiments and observations on God creating everything are but there you go.

Is it not a good ripping yarn?

Stumpy Tim

My favourite Hitchens quote:

Let's say that the consensus is that our species, being the higher primates, Homo Sapiens, has been on the planet for at least 100,000 years, maybe more. Francis Collins says maybe 100,000. Richard Dawkins thinks maybe a quarter-of-a-million. I'll take 100,000. In order to be a Christian, you have to believe that for 98,000 years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about 25 years, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery, all of that for 98,000 years.

Heaven watches this with complete indifference. And then 2000 years ago, thinks 'That's enough of that. It's time to intervene,' and the best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the Middle East. Don't lets appeal to the Chinese, for example, where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization. Let's go to the desert and have another revelation there. This is nonsense. It can't be believed by a thinking person.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Are you, Gervais and Fry all in the same kindergarten school together?

No
But compared to God Hitler was a boy scout, whats it like to worship a genocidal maniac that wipes the whole of mankind (except Noah and family) off the face of the planet?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I used to be into logical positivism. Essentially, the question ‘Is there a God?’ Is meaningless because it can’t be proved by empirical evidence.

Thing is, empirical evidence is limited to the senses we have developed as Homo Sapiens. Essentially, we only sense things we need to through evolution.

There could be many things ‘out there’ we can’t sense. Dark matter and dark energy come to mind or maybe a 4th or 5th dimension.

So, I’m comfortable to sit in the humble ‘don’t know’ category of agnosticism. I’m as certain as I can be that there is no God we can conceive of. But a God we can’t conceive of. . . well that’s possible. It has to be.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
'In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth...' Genesis Chapter 1 Verse 1

Who wrote the book? They were not around to know what was happening, just like the rest of us. Humans are great storytellers.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I used to be into logical positivism. Essentially, the question ‘Is there a God?’ Is meaningless because it can’t be proved by empirical evidence.

Thing is, empirical evidence is limited to the senses we have developed as Homo Sapiens. Essentially, we only sense things we need to through evolution.

There could be many things ‘out there’ we can’t sense. Dark matter and dark energy come to mind or maybe a 4th or 5th dimension.

So, I’m comfortable to sit in the humble ‘don’t know’ category of agnosticism. I’m as certain as I can be that there is no God we can conceive of. But a God we can’t conceive of. . . well that’s possible. It has to be.

Could this inconceivable God truly be described as a God, then?

By a God, what people generally mean is the Abrahamic deity that created existence, created life, wrought baleful wrath upon life, guided certain individuals in one particularly volatile part of the planet, ignoring more advanced civilisations elsewhere, then, counter to its previous behaviour has since taken a hands off approach to their creation.

Unless of course they're talking about the panoply of deities that have, at some point, been the Gods of the time? the Pagan Gods, the Mayan Gods, the Norse, the Homeric, the Slavic? Though, I suppose with polytheistic religions, that there are a multitude of deities diminishes the idea of omnipotence? Odin isn't all powerful, nor is Zeus.

If an inconceivable, non interventionist, all powerful entity exists, it isn't a God as we'd describe it. All but a few of the gods that man has invented have been malicious, thin skinned, jealous and violent. The sooner the world collectively grows the **** up, the better.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Have you ever been called Bruce and worked at the University of Wollamaloo.... or however it might be spelt?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

By a God, what people generally mean is the Abrahamic deity that created existence, created life, wrought baleful wrath upon life, guided certain individuals in one particularly volatile part of the planet, ignoring more advanced civilisations elsewhere, then, counter to its previous behaviour has since taken a hands off approach to their creation.

Unless of course they're talking about the panoply of deities that have, at some point, been the Gods of the time? the Pagan Gods, the Mayan Gods, the Norse, the Homeric, the Slavic? Though, I suppose with polytheistic religions, that there are a multitude of deities diminishes the idea of omnipotence? Odin isn't all powerful, nor is Zeus.

If an inconceivable, non interventionist, all powerful entity exists, it isn't a God as we'd describe it. All but a few of the gods that man has invented have been malicious, thin skinned, jealous and violent. The sooner the world collectively grows the **** up, the better.

I think different people who believe in God would have a whole lot of different views of what "God" is. Different people would come up with some very different descriptions. I'm not sure what mine would be.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Isn't everyone an agnostic? Nobody can be sure of anything, such is the vastness and complexity of the universe. It's extremely arrogant to be absolute in either conviction because the knowledge of whether or not God etc exists is unknowable.

As Socrates said, the only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Thanks for saving me the time.

On a fun note, I thought we'd all developed enough to realise that religion was a social construct initially developed by the rich to control the poor and uneducated?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

As above. I agree with this reply. Well put.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

We are consciousness experiencing life in a physical body.

The vast majority of people wander around the world like in The Matrix, oblivious to what's really there. Especially the intellectuals because they have invested all their life accumulating as much knowledge as possible of the physical world. When we are ultimately not physical. So they have like a thicker veil around them hiding who they really are.

Explore consciousness. Meditation, yoga, energy healing, read books by mystics and sages. Then suddenly you'll have a red pill moment and you'll be aware of the real world. When I had it, it took me about a while to recover from about 10 minutes straight of pissing myself laughing. You realise that there is a dormant sense we have which is real feeling that far supersedes our other senses. Develop it by trying to be aware of it more and more and then it becomes HD and you can't not be aware of it.

I don't believe in God in the traditional man sitting on a throne on a cloud way but there is a huge world out there at higher levels of consciousness that I yearn to explore. The added bonus is by moving away from the stuff that busies us in the world, you become much more happy and contented in your daily life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here