Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Agnostic vs Atheist

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It don't matter anyway, if you die and there turns out to be a heaven - repent your sins and accept Jesus is your mate and job's a good'un.

Keep sinning until the day you die boys.

And if Jesus died for our sins, we really ought to sin, or he died for nothing.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We have evidence of the big bang though, and that the universe is expanding.

Not sure I believe it is currently expanding, I am agnostic about that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I asked this question to the jehovah's witnesses that come a knocking, and they said they do believe in dinosaurs. The don't believe in evolution though, they believe that god created man on the 6th day (presumably dinosaurs a bit earlier, even though other land creatures were also created on the 6th day). But they usually say that his days are not the same as our days, or some such BS, to allow for the fact that the dinos had all gone. It's much like talking to the conspiracy theorists.

I think it was a Bill Hicks joke where a believer said to him that God put those fossils there to test our faith, to which he replied "Yeah? And maybe he put you here to test my patience."

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
As an atheist I'm OK with people believing in things there's no evidence for (expect Holocaust deniers, as they should be put locked away for everyone's good), as long as they're not using that belief to make decisions that affect others i.e in politics, teaching or violent ideology. Any decent schools should teach religion as a choice and a general view of all beliefs and non-beliefs.

To answer the OP, agnostics still have that 1% fear in them, just in case it goes tits up when they die. Like believing in ghosts - they don't believe in them but ask them to partake in a seance with a ouija board?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think it was a Bill Hicks joke where a believer said to him that God put those fossils there to test our faith, to which he replied "Yeah? And maybe he put you here to test my patience."

He said some good stuff

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather.”

“The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we … kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok … But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.”

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I think different people who believe in God would have a whole lot of different views of what "God" is. Different people would come up with some very different descriptions. I'm not sure what mine would be.

Right, sure, but surely a god, by any terms, is a supernatural entity that magically/mystically/spiritually interferes (for good or ill) in the events of one particular species on this one particular planet for a tiny, almost infinitesimal moment in time of it's existence, right?

If that's not how you'd describe your understanding of God, I'd argue that's not the Abrahamic deities you're talking about, nor any other I can think of.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
This God seems to spend a lot of time on people on a tiny planet which is located within a fairly insignificant galaxy in the universe. Hope he gets time for the rest of the universe.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To all intents and purposes it did though. One minute there was nothing, then a big bang and then a universe. Something came from nothing.

Someone's probably done this already: but that's an argument for the Big Bang causing the universe, and not the universe creating itself.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Right, sure, but surely a god, by any terms, is a supernatural entity that magically/mystically/spiritually interferes (for good or ill) in the events of one particular species on this one particular planet for a tiny, almost infinitesimal moment in time of it's existence, right?

If that's not how you'd describe your understanding of God, I'd argue that's not the Abrahamic deities you're talking about, nor any other I can think of.

Sorry not to be argumentative, but yes, I would go along with that. But it is a fairly loose definition - albeit one I am happy with. I was thinking people might be expecting something a bit more specific........ but it would be the specific that would be difficult.

It's the "How can your God allow...." questions that exercise me, not because I want to steer clear of talking about them, but because it is unsatisfactory to do so on a forum like this.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Someone's probably done this already: but that's an argument for the Big Bang causing the universe, and not the universe creating itself.

Yes...I am aware of that and it's been answered. The point still stands. Something came from nothing or if not nothing, something very mysterious and unknowable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here