Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hove sea front shelter adapted to make life difficult for the homeless ?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Oh I am sorry, I did not realise you were in charge of the contents posted on NSC, that's me punish: then.....

Please ensure you let over 50% of the original posters on page one alone the error of their ways including Baseball, PPI, Brexit, Strong man with a van needed, Podcasts the list goes on....

:thumbsup:

I've emailed the seafront office

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought it was for refurbishment purposes. I am also amazed at the number the wooden seats on the seafront promenade ( not the benches) that are constantly destroyed. Local rubbish collector we spoke to said that they have had times where the homeless people have gone on a spree and broken everything in sight. Real shame really.

The shelter opposite Paston Place is being completely reburshished with brand new benches, and woodwork.

Oct 25, 2003
They did this to the Arches near the Lagoon a few years ago. Not sure whether it came about because of the murder of a homeless person or whether it contributed to his death. I'm sure he was from Cornwall.

it was gated off after the murder yes- the argument being that the self proclaimed "bat caves" were a bit too much "out of site, out of mind" and generally unsafe due to the lack of light. The victim was discovered by outreach volunteers from the charity that I worked for- I knew the victim and murderers quite well

Oct 25, 2003
the council are usually quite happy for people to sleep in those shelters and have been for years. Problems tend to arise if there is a spike in anti-social behaviour including if the area is left messy. Around that part of the Hove most of the benches are occupied by more of your "old school" homeless types who tend to leave their areas quite tidy (as it is in their interest to) who just want to keep themselves to themselves at night and get as good a nights sleep as you can get outside so I would hazard a guess at it being more of a renovation issue

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
the council are usually quite happy for people to sleep in those shelters and have been for years. Problems tend to arise if there is a spike in anti-social behaviour including if the area is left messy. Around that part of the Hove most of the benches are occupied by more of your "old school" homeless types who tend to leave their areas quite tidy (as it is in their interest to) who just want to keep themselves to themselves at night and get as good a nights sleep as you can get outside so I would hazard a guess at it being more of a renovation issue

I think you're right, I'd imagine the shelters are listed

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's not unheard of, Boris allegedly instructed town planners to "design the homeless out of London" but I would think it highly likely these seafront shelters are listed meaning no local authourity can just come along and de-roof them.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Seafront shelters are for the enjoyment of people promenading along the promenade, not for the homeless to sleep in and use as urinals. I wrote to the council recently suggesting that arms be added along the benches so that it was not possible to sleep on them. No reply. No surprise there.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
One thing I've noticed recently, not necessarily in Brighton and Hove, is that replacement benches are coming with individual seats as it were, with arm rests between. Stops anyone lying down on them. It was in London, and actually in Boris' constituency, so would back up the point [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] was making.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
One thing I've noticed recently, not necessarily in Brighton and Hove, is that replacement benches are coming with individual seats as it were, with arm rests between. Stops anyone lying down on them. It was in London, and actually in Boris' constituency, so would back up the point [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] was making.

yeah, and don't ever attempt to lie down on a bus stop bench, they slope down so you fall off

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Given that article is from 2013 are you suggesting that the Council have been in consultation for the past four years trying to think up a way to reduce the instances of murder of the homeless and after four years of consultation have finally decided on this solution? Actually, thinking about the way this Council operate it actually sounds quite feasible.

Not suggesting anything but the article states that the council did block off the Arches. Make of it what you will.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Seafront shelters are for the enjoyment of people promenading along the promenade, not for the homeless to sleep in and use as urinals. I wrote to the council recently suggesting that arms be added along the benches so that it was not possible to sleep on them. No reply. No surprise there.

This.

There are no toilets near hove lagoon (once they've been locked in the evening) and last year the seafront office had a problem with a lot of human shit along the prom and behind the huts! We found out when our son was playing behind the huts!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You won’t get a reply from either the council or your local M.P. if my experience in Worthing is anything to go on. I have written to both to inform them what a bunch of c..nuts they are but neither have had the decency to reply.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You won’t get a reply from either the council or your local M.P. if my experience in Worthing is anything to go on. I have written to both to inform them what a bunch of c..nuts they are but neither have had the decency to reply.

:lolol:

That's a poor show when you've taken the time to express your feelings so eloquently as well.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This.

There are no toilets near hove lagoon (once they've been locked in the evening) and last year the seafront office had a problem with a lot of human shit along the prom and behind the huts! We found out when our son was playing behind the huts!!

We need more Council signage. Keep homeless people on a leash and use poop bags.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
yeah, and don't ever attempt to lie down on a bus stop bench, they slope down so you fall off

As do the ones opposite the Theatre Royal. It just doesn't sit easy with me (no pun intended) that a council buys benches deliberately designed to stop the very worst off in our society from using it as a bed. I fully get why they do it but in my eyes it's kicking someone when they are down.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Oh I am sorry, I did not realise you were in charge of the contents posted on NSC, that's me punish: then.....

Please ensure you let over 50% of the original posters on page one alone the error of their ways including Baseball, PPI, Brexit, Strong man with a van needed, Podcasts the list goes on....

:thumbsup:

Bit touchy, aren't you Psycho?
It was only a suggestion.:ohmy::ohmy:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Hark at you, all full of the milk of human kindness and everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here