Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hove sea front shelter adapted to make life difficult for the homeless ?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
You won’t get a reply from either the council or your local M.P. if my experience in Worthing is anything to go on. I have written to both to inform them what a bunch of c..nuts they are but neither have had the decency to reply.

I sent a polite email to the seafront office yesterday, no reply so far

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I sent a polite email to the seafront office yesterday, no reply so far

If you are pretty much certain that you won’t get a reply it’s best to be rude to start with. Saves time.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I got a reply:

This is all part of the maintenance programme, as you will notice lots have been repaired and repainted this summer, this was alongside the railings being painted.

Kind regards,

Chris Ingall
Seafront Operations Manager

Fantastic, it’s a start I guess next hopefully the railings can have a lick of paint I suggest Brighton Blue.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Driving to work today I noticed that along Kingsway near Hove lawns the council appear to have removed the roof tops from most of the sea front shelters.
Is this an attempt to discourage homeless people sleeping rough in the shelters ? I have only just noticed this so it may have been done for some time.

I am not sure how I feel about depriving the most needy and desperate people in our society, however I can understand the need to discourage the amount of homeless people in Brighton.
Obviously in an ideal world there would be no homeless people and the government, local councils would be able to cope with this crises but that is not going to happen anytime soon.

No doubt this thread will either sink without a trace or be hijacked by the political left or right on this board trying to out score each other.

The council may very well just be doing maintenance, and the cynical among us may ask why in winter.
If the council have removed the roofs in an attempt to discourage people sleeping in them during the autumn and winter do you think that is right ?

This is all part of the maintenance programme, as you will notice lots have been repaired and repainted this summer, this was alongside the railings being painted.

Kind regards,

Chris Ingall
Seafront Operations Manager

Fantastic, it’s a start I guess next hopefully the railings can have a lick of paint I suggest Brighton Blue.

So the council aren't killers? Cool.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The Council obviously learnt no lessons from Bournemouth Council, they managed to eradicate homeless sleeping in public toilets immediately.

By playing bagpipe music.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Hark at you, all full of the milk of human kindness and everything.

Homeless people are a scourge of this and most other cities. All cities provide accommodation for them (including Brighton) and if they choose not to use it they should be moved on from wherever else they decide to try to sleep. The homeless in Brighton are a truly disgusting sight.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
In Liverpool, the landlord of the old (empty) Bank of England building tried to stop the front main steps being used as a place to sleep by the homeless, by boarding them up and creating a slope rather than steps. The boarding-up was ripped to pieces within six hours of being installed, and the steps are currently occupied by several people bombed out of their skulls on Spice.

Oct 25, 2003
Homeless people are a scourge of this and most other cities. All cities provide accommodation for them (including Brighton) and if they choose not to use it they should be moved on from wherever else they decide to try to sleep. The homeless in Brighton are a truly disgusting sight.

there's not enough accommodation in Brighton & Hove for those with local connection status- there was a 6 month to 12 month waiting list last time I was involved with that line of work, I would hazard a guess that it's worse now. Government funding for homelessness prevention has been roughly halved since 2010, and guess what? Homelessness has roughly doubled since 2010

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
In Liverpool, the landlord of the old (empty) Bank of England building tried to stop the front main steps being used as a place to sleep by the homeless, by boarding them up and creating a slope rather than steps. The boarding-up was ripped to pieces within six hours of being installed, and the steps are currently occupied by several people bombed out of their skulls on Spice.

Who no doubt will end up, in due course, down here.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Seems your limited knowledge is very preducial. I was released from Lewes Prison around 10am in February 2003 on a bitterly cold day. My prospect was sleeping under the West Pier. There was no release plan after a two year sentence and I'd lost my Housing Association place though my ma and sisters rescued most of my possessions I still lost a lot as they couldn't store it. I had a release grant of £46 which is still the same today. I'd saved money from my wages as a cleaner so was better off than most who spent it on tobacco and short term comfort stuff. I wanted to see ma and went round as the sun was setting. Fortunately she didn't want me sleeping rough and put me up for the next 18 months whilst I saved for a deposit on a flat.

Others are not so fortunate with no family or family who don't care. For those there is a revolving door existence where some deliberately get jailed to save their lives.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
After my experiences I look at homelessness differently. I'm helping a man down West Street who's roughly same age as me and I wouldn't want to be sleeping rough. He's realised his life is in danger and has applied to the YMCA for a room. He doesn't want to be on the streets the hostels are full and lives are being lost. Please show compassion to genuine homeless not the beggars out for a quick buck I've recently had experience of both and can now disseminate.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Seems your limited knowledge is very preducial. I was released from Lewes Prison around 10am in February 2003 on a bitterly cold day. My prospect was sleeping under the West Pier. There was no release plan after a two year sentence and I'd lost my Housing Association place though my ma and sisters rescued most of my possessions I still lost a lot as they couldn't store it. I had a release grant of £46 which is still the same today. I'd saved money from my wages as a cleaner so was better off than most who spent it on tobacco and short term comfort stuff. I wanted to see ma and went round as the sun was setting. Fortunately she didn't want me sleeping rough and put me up for the next 18 months whilst I saved for a deposit on a flat.

Others are not so fortunate with no family or family who don't care. For those there is a revolving door existence where some deliberately get jailed to save their lives.

You've led an interesting life [MENTION=1575]whitelion[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here