Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rock Stories

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
David Bowie wandred into the Nashville (North End Road, Fulham) one night during a Human League gig. He stood next to me. One or two punters got a bit excited. I turned to him and said something along the lines of 'you're not going to get any peace here tonight, mate'. He said something along the lines of 'yeah, I see what you mean', and left with his two massive minders in tow. Palpitations.

My best mate was in bands. They supported Yes (early incarnation) at a gig in Devon (Barnstaple?) in the early 70s. Somehow he got invited back to a party at Jeremy Thorpe's place. That's all I'm prepared to say about that :facepalm:

Another mate of mine was in a band in Canada, then quit to do a pharmacology degree in Vancouver (which is where I met him). He's a professor in Toronto now. Shortly after he quit, his old band had a small hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rK6RlHOK14

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
David Bowie wandred into the Nashville (North End Road, Fulham) one night during a Human League gig. He stood next to me. One or two punters got a bit excited. I turned to him and said something along the lines of 'you're not going to get any peace here tonight, mate'. He said something along the lines of 'yeah, I see what you mean', and left with his two massive minders in tow.
I'm not surprised. I think I would have been equally inclined to make a swift exit if I thought some vegetable fixated weirdo had sidled up to me at a gig and informed me that I was unlikely to get any peas that night. It's never a good idea trying to converse with someone during a gig as it raises the risk of all manner of misunderstanding and confusion. As a seasoned gig goer you should have been aware of that.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
My best mate was in bands. They supported Yes (early incarnation) at a gig in Devon (Barnstaple?) in the early 70s. Somehow he got invited back to a party at Jeremy Thorpe's place. That's all I'm prepared to say about that
Oh go on, you can't slander the dead.....or is your mate still alive.

Graham2

Oct 25, 2003
St Keyna Avenue

I grew up in the same road as Ian Collier one of the singers in Darts (The one who sang Daddy Cool). He was a few years older than me but occasionally I went to his house as I knew his sister via a mutual friend. This was quite a few years before he became a massive pop star. One day when i was there they were having trouble with their drains and the manhole cover had been lifted off. When I looked down into the void I noticed a perfectly formed stool, an image that remained with me for some reason. Years later as I watched him on Top of the Pops belting out the words of "Daddy Cool" the memory came back to me and I wondered if that stool had belonged to him. It's been over forty years and I'm still no closer to having that mystery solved. Perhaps I never will.

Ian and I were mates in the sixties. We played football in Wish Park and lived in St Keyna. I seem to remember his sister was much younger and called Tanya. Anyway I moved away and lost contact. Imagine my surprise to see him years later on top of the pops. He had no interest in music when I knew him and was more into joining the RAF! By the way remembering Ian’s eating habits it was almost definitely one of his!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Ian and I were mates in the sixties. We played football in Wish Park and lived in St Keyna. I seem to remember his sister was much younger and called Tanya. Anyway I moved away and lost contact. Imagine my surprise to see him years later on top of the pops. He had no interest in music when I knew him and was more into joining the RAF! By the way remembering Ian’s eating habits it was almost definitely one of his!
It was Tanya. She was probably about ten years younger. I remember when Ian used to walk up the road with Rita, his girlfriend, later to be the black female singer in Darts. It created a bit of a scandal amongst the old racist biddies of St K.
After contributing my post I had a quick look at the Darts wiki page. It said "The popular London-based band had a number of UK top 20 hits including three successive number twos"
It seems that Ian had a thing for number twos.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Funnily enough I'd already read this a bit earlier which confirmed pretty much everything you said..
http://www.amazingdarts.com/griff_fender.html

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh go on, you can't slander the dead.....or is your mate still alive.

My mate is, certainly, but he was just a bystander. The point at which he left, JT was cavorting on all fours 'horsey' style while a naked man 'rode' him..... :facepalm::lolol:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
not my bag actually and it was late 60s when I was an innocent God fearing catholic girl
I thought that was exactly the sort of behaviour innocent, god fearing catholic girls indulged in. Is the person in question still alive? Because as I told Harry Wilson's Tackle, you can't slander the dead so if that's the case feel free to drop some broader hints as to this person's identity

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I thought that was exactly the sort of behaviour innocent, god fearing catholic girls indulged in. Is the person in question still alive? Because as I told Harry Wilson's Tackle, you can't slander the dead so if that's the case feel free to drop some broader hints as to this person's identity

double post

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

I have no idea who was in the bath, but the band members are all still alive, think one has retired though

all I'm prepared to say is cuppa soup :rock: :lolol:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I have no idea who was in the bath, but the band members are all still alive, think one has retired though

all I'm prepared to say is cuppa soup :rock: :lolol:

From the benefit of my considerable legal experience I'm pretty sure you can't slander the retired either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here