Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex expansion..never say never!

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
14f06aca6a7c640b446c94c5d4c6d19884647c89.jpg

Christ, that is dreadful. I'd be half tempted to take a couple of steps backwards from there.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
:lol: :lol: West stand upper upper anyone? :D

World Cup stadiums come in all shapes and sizes but next year’s tournament in Russia will break new ground with fans at one venue seated outside.

Architects working on the Ekaterinburg Arena have come up with a unique answer to the tricky question: how do you seat the Fifa-sanctioned minimum of 35,000 spectators when the stadium has a capacity of many thousands less? Simply build a stand outside.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...inburg-arena-seating-built-outside-venue-fifa

View attachment 89964

Looks bloody ridiculous.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wouldn't feel safe on ANY of that. Especially if it was windy.

It's just a giant (and massively raised) stand from Withdean isn't it?

I think it IS the South Stand from Withdean, but on tripod legs I'm sure l can recognize my old seat there.

el punal

Looks shit.

Think we should have been designed to have 35k if England ever got a world cup? Brighton would be a great host city. Could we squeeze 4750 in somewhere?

You don't need to. All you have to do is a revolving pro-rata system (a valid description?) for the 80 minute leavers. For example, say 10%, come in to the ground 10 minutes after kick off and take the places of another 10% who then leave for 10 minutes. Repeat this throughout the match until the last 10 minutes when they all f*** off anyway.

I think I need to lie down. :cheers:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can anyone on here who sits back row WSU explain what the view is like? I've always wondered but to be honest, my vertigo prevents me from taking a peek.

The back row of the upper tier of the Clock End looked ridiculously high on Sunday at the Emirates. Likewise, the away ends at Stoke and Newcastle and the Kop at Villa (although that is a bloody impressive stand in my favourite away ground).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can anyone on here who sits back row WSU explain what the view is like? I've always wondered but to be honest, my vertigo prevents me from taking a peek.

The back row of the upper tier of the Clock End looked ridiculously high on Sunday at the Emirates. Likewise, the away ends at Stoke and Newcastle and the Kop at Villa (although that is a bloody impressive stand in my favourite away ground).

We sat in the very back row, right on halfway, for a cheap cup game (Reading?).

The best description is 'Playstation Football'.
Naturally it's a superb view of the whole game, (this is going to be tough, as I know you're currently struggling with my particular style of writing) but I was surprised how the players were still so clearly recognisable. I assume that comes from being on top of the game and not sloping away from it.
For the distance travelled to the seats I was expecting Sensible Soccer style generic dots on a green background.

I did find it a little frustrating as 'the pass' is so obvious from up there, but then you've got a better view of the pitch than the players.

It's a pooh load of climbing, with a great view of the game and Sussex beyond, but I wouldn't swap for fairly low down in the Family Stand.

Sure I definitely miss whatever is happening in the SW corner, but the pay off is being almost in touching distance to the second half action, when the team are attacking the North Stand.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We sat in the very back row, right on halfway, for a cheap cup game (Reading?).

The best description is 'Playstation Football'.
Naturally it's a superb view of the whole game, (this is going to be tough, as I know you're currently struggling with my particular style of writing) but I was surprised how the players were still so clearly recognisable. I assume that comes from being on top of the game and not sloping away from it.
For the distance travelled to the seats I was expecting Sensible Soccer style generic dots on a green background.

I did find it a little frustrating as 'the pass' is so obvious from up there, but then you've got a better view of the pitch than the players.

It's a pooh load of climbing, with a great view of the game and Sussex beyond, but I wouldn't swap for fairly low down in the Family Stand.

Sure I definitely miss whatever is happening in the SW corner, but the pay off is being almost in touching distance to the second half action, when the team are attacking the North Stand.

As I posted when the amex was built, the back of the West Upper is actually about a pitch width away from the pitch, so it is quite a way back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I posted when the amex was built, the back of the West Upper is actually about a pitch width away from the pitch, so it is quite a way back.
It certainly didn't seem like it to me.

It won't help Buzzer but I felt I could have dived from my seat and landed on the tunnel. :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm there every game matey, at the back of G block just to the right of the camera bit. The view is excellent IMO but not for everyone. Obviously the players & officials can't hear your individual shouts but some good singing up there. You can really see the tactics and shape, and spot passes and splits the players can't even see. Always clear if it's a goal but not so much the 50/50 fouls. Can't ALWAYS tell which player has been involved in a quick move. It was horrid when we had the yellow numbers.

TBH that's why I think people often comment on the tactical paragraphs in the blog but I sometimes note down or remember the wrong player in a move.

Wouldn't move for the world. There's now 11 of us together (more or less) and the three lads who sit behind us are absolute diamonds,

Lots of stairs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm there every game matey, at the back of G block just to the right of the camera bit. The view is excellent IMO but not for everyone. Obviously the players & officials can't hear your individual shouts but some good singing up there. You can really see the tactics and shape, and spot passes and splits the players can't even see. Always clear if it's a goal but not so much the 50/50 fouls. Can't ALWAYS tell which player has been involved in a quick move. It was horrid when we had the yellow numbers.

TBH that's why I think people often comment on the tactical paragraphs in the blog but I sometimes note down or remember the wrong player in a move.

Wouldn't move for the world. There's now 11 of us together (more or less) and the three lads who sit behind us are absolute diamonds,

Lots of stairs though.

When I say behind us we're 3 rows from the back but I reckon that qualifies

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can really see the tactics and shape, and spot passes and splits the players can't even see. Always clear if it's a goal but not so much the 50/50 fouls. Can't ALWAYS tell which player has been involved in a quick move. It was horrid when we had the yellow numbers.
It wouldn't surprise me if things like the 'Dale Stephens Appreciation Society' starts with you guys, but takes a while to filter down to many of us a few feet above pitch level.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Lots of stairs though.

I love how most people reckon they've got the best seat in the house. Goes to show how good it is. I feel the same, front row WSU near the halfway line. We don't have as much singing although it's still pretty good and everyone around me is a die-hard fan so no chance of any day-trippers or away fans. From my vantage point, I like to keep an eye on Hughton and Trollope and also what the other manager is up to. Seeing who sits where and next to whom in the directors' box is a guilty pleasure too. Tony Bloom's mum always leads the singing of GOSBTS. She takes supporting the Albion very seriously.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Wow that is spectacularly shit. Which sums up the WC in Russia.

Russia 2018 MUST be THE MOST uninviting World Cup of all time (until Qatar)- have there been any in history which you would have wanted to go to LESS?!

I’m predicting lots of unsold tickets and empty seats, and little trouble because fans will stay away..

It looks utterly ridiculous, but it's actually a good thing for legacy of the tournament. It avoids the "white elephant" problem of stadiums that are far too big for the city they are in, once the competition is over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here