Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex expansion..never say never!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
196qk03ejscn0jpg.jpg

Mind you, Qatar 2022 has taken it to another level. Or maybe I just have a one tracked mind.

Maybe I'm more INNOCENTERER as it reminded me of the ship in 'Flight of the Navigator'...

maxresdefault.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are obviously not an engineer - stick to washing the dishes.

Thank you for the patronising answer. Martin Perry told me himself about the properties of a cantilever roof, but as you don't think I have a brain, read this.

The individual members of each truss were first assembled into three 15m deep x 60m long sub-sections, each weighing 120 tonnes. These three sub-sections were then lifted onto a pair of 20m high temporary trestles located at ‘third points’ on the concrete terracing. The ends of the arch are supported by heavily reinforced concrete thrust walls.
Amex-2.png
Only when the entire roof structure was completed could the temporary trestles be de-jacked and removed from below the west and east roofs of the structure allowing the thrust blocks to take up the load. This process was carefully controlled with each iteration of the de-propping carefully monitored against predicted loads and movements.
Initially, the weight of the entire roof was transferred onto sets of jacks installed on each of the four temporary trestles, and the ‘starting’ weight in each of those jacks recorded and compared to predictions. Thereafter the roofs were lowered in approximately 20mm increments at each of the four temporary trestles in turn. Extreme caution was required to ensure that the loads remained equally distributed between the trestles, and that temporary forces being induced into the truss members above each trestle did not approach the safe capacity.
One complication in the de-propping process was that as the roof lowered the truss deflected outwards, thus deflecting the top of the temporary tower which had to be reset to vertical using a set of horizontal jacks installed at the top of each trestle. Eventually the reactions at all four temporary trestles reached zero – at which stage the roof was free-standing and the temporary towers could be removed.

https://www.steelconstruction.info/American_Express_Community_Stadium,_Brighton

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don't you feel detatched from everything, tho? I'm at the front of ESU and it still feels too far back. Like to be close to the action...

Nope, I'd prefer to see the game unfolding tactically. We had a discussion on this when I did the original virtual ground tour when we went for our season ticket presentation. Ken Brown said he'd rather be pitch side but Bloom would rather be high up.

What is funny though is that I prefer being as close as possible at away games. Last season my mate who sits with me home & away managed to get us the very back row of the away end at Fulham AND second row from back of the top tier at QPR. :facepalm: :lolol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Thank you for the patronising answer. Martin Perry told me himself about the properties of a cantilever roof, but as you don't think I have a brain, read this.

The individual members of each truss were first assembled into three 15m deep x 60m long sub-sections, each weighing 120 tonnes. These three sub-sections were then lifted onto a pair of 20m high temporary trestles located at ‘third points’ on the concrete terracing. The ends of the arch are supported by heavily reinforced concrete thrust walls.
Amex-2.png
Only when the entire roof structure was completed could the temporary trestles be de-jacked and removed from below the west and east roofs of the structure allowing the thrust blocks to take up the load. This process was carefully controlled with each iteration of the de-propping carefully monitored against predicted loads and movements.
Initially, the weight of the entire roof was transferred onto sets of jacks installed on each of the four temporary trestles, and the ‘starting’ weight in each of those jacks recorded and compared to predictions. Thereafter the roofs were lowered in approximately 20mm increments at each of the four temporary trestles in turn. Extreme caution was required to ensure that the loads remained equally distributed between the trestles, and that temporary forces being induced into the truss members above each trestle did not approach the safe capacity.
One complication in the de-propping process was that as the roof lowered the truss deflected outwards, thus deflecting the top of the temporary tower which had to be reset to vertical using a set of horizontal jacks installed at the top of each trestle. Eventually the reactions at all four temporary trestles reached zero – at which stage the roof was free-standing and the temporary towers could be removed.

Not patronising at all. The trusses you are referring to support the west and east roof stands.

I am not referring to these. I am talking about the north and south stands for the expansion a la The Etihad - refer to previous post. I am actually an engineer so I do know what I'm talking about and the trusses supporting east and west can temporarily be supported whilst the work (if it goes ahead) is carried out.

It appears you cannot even understand simple English. Apologies if I come across as such but expansion is possible.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not patronising at all. The trusses you are referring to support the west and east roof stands.

I am not referring to these. I am talking about the north and south stands for the expansion a la The Etihad - refer to previous post. I am actually an engineer so I do know what I'm talking about and the trusses supporting east and west can temporarily be supported whilst the work (if it goes ahead) is carried out.

It appears you cannot even understand simple English. Apologies if I come across as such but expansion is possible.

You'd better email Martin Perry and let him know.

Another explanation of the ring of steel around the whole roof.

http://www.albionsections.co.uk/doc/21.pdf

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Amex-2.png

Ohhh she's done you there son [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Not at all read my last post. Stick to having a beer rather than acting as umpire.
I can't, I'm driving
[emoji605] [emoji594] [emoji595] [emoji592] [emoji597] [emoji598] [emoji600] [emoji604] [emoji603] [emoji602] [emoji609]

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I can't, I'm driving
[emoji605] [emoji594] [emoji595] [emoji592] [emoji597] [emoji598] [emoji600] [emoji604] [emoji603] [emoji602] [emoji609]

Then drive rather than post on a website my friend. It's potentially dangerous as many road accidents have proven. :thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Then drive rather than post on a website my friend. It's potentially dangerous as many road accidents have proven. [emoji106]
I'm parked atm for Pete's sake!

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Russia 2018 MUST be THE MOST uninviting World Cup of all time (until Qatar)- have there been any in history which you would have wanted to go to LESS?!

I’m predicting lots of unsold tickets and empty seats, and little trouble because fans will stay away..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Take a kid with you. the hoolies have said they won't beat anyone up if the have a kid with them. Only reason I may pop over next year.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't have an issue with Russia hosting a world cup (a proper football nation who have never had it before) and as has been said, these temporary solutions are preferable to vast white elephants the tax payer ends up lumbered with. That said, that stand does look absolutely shit and it remains a world cup that I really don't fancy going to.

Qatar being awarded it remains FIFA's absolute nadir. I don't care how good their stadiums will end up looking, it is a world cup that should never have happened.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't have an issue with Russia hosting a world cup (a proper football nation who have never had it before) and as has been said, these temporary solutions are preferable to vast white elephants the tax payer ends up lumbered with. That said, that stand does look absolutely shit and it remains a world cup that I really don't fancy going to.

Qatar being awarded it remains FIFA's absolute nadir. I don't care how good their stadiums will end up looking, it is a world cup that should never have happened.

Construction in Qatar is built on blood money.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...qatar-world-cup-workers-life-threatening-heat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here