Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Giveaway: JJ Waller's Brighton & Hove Albion

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well, Bozza added my book review of Greville Waterman's book on the other giveaway thread, so here's the one I also wrote for JJ Waller's book for the Roar...

Going back to Stewart Weir's iconic 'More Than 90 Minutes' book - a superb collection of photojournalism chronicling the two-year fight the Brighton & Hove Albion fans had with Bill Archer, Greg Stanley and David Bellotti - it seemed totally appropriate that the whole story was told in neo-apocalyptic shades of noir.

It was a harrowing time in the history of the football club, and the book told the whole sorry saga through the eyes of a keen, on-the-ball, visual story-teller.

'JJ Waller's Brighton & Hove Albion' book published this summer, on the other hand, tells of a similar though expanded story largely majoring the outpouring of celebration rather than despair.

Like Weir's tome of 20 years ago, it's not so much a football book, it's a people book, with the football club as the backdrop. It's also highly appropriate that it's printed in glorious high-definition colour. The brief (how do you encapsulate 20 years into 96 pages?) photo-story starts with the last days of the Goldstone - post-Doncaster - before moving on to Withdean.

From this book, if you didn't know better, you'd say that every day at that athletics stadium was bathed in sunshine. Those non-swimmers among us will know better, though it does paint a shiny retrospective glow of the dull 'temporary' home which we stayed in for far too long. After all, the first and last days at Withdean were gloriously hot and sunny...

But over half the book is a tale of the Albion claiming its prize - of building and moving into Falmer. Of our glorious cathedral in the 'City By The Sea'™. And of course, of the enormous parade along Brighton and Hove seafronts this summer celebrating our elevation to the top division.

Every single picture justifies its inclusion, and has something to say. Each one either tells its own story, or is part of a bigger whole. I dare you to look through this book, and not raise the daftest of grins.

Many books are being published this summer telling Brighton's story over the past 20 years or, in far more detail, the past two years. Take your pick. Or better still immerse yourself in the lot.

This is one to be placed prominently on the loo bookshelf. And, for me, nothing beats that for a recommendation.

'JJ Waller's Brighton & Hove Albion' is self-published, and is priced £11.99 from Waterstone's and from https://www.jjwaller.com/book.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Here please :thumbsup:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Pop my name on a folded piece of paper into your best top hat, Bozza. Cheers ��

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills