Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy Harvest Swansea Tuesday

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll be honest I'd be suprised if they breached data protection on any of this. Their terms and conditions and privacy notices make it pretty clear what they'll do with you're information. In this particular case they won't be passing anything on to anyone only checking to make sure that you are actually using your ticket.

It's more the host club (eg Bournemouth) supplying data to the Albion that enables the Albion to identify fans and what they've done.

The Albion have fan data and details of tickets sold to them.

The host club have data of what tickets are used to enter the ground and when.

Each of those datasets, independently, do not reveal anything at all.

It's when the host club provide their data to the Albion that the club are then able to know what fans did with their tickets. We've not agreed for host clubs to share data about us in that way.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
But if you look up the laws on data protection there are limits to what you can do legally with data, and especially PII data, generally and also without direct and explicit consent. There's also a section of law about using data in excess of its purpose (can't recall the exact legal term) and in this case I'd suggest that the processing of PII to check allocation of 5 loyalty points is way way in excess and cannot be justified. Bournemouth also state on their website they do not share your data with anyone, so by your very own belief the Albion are complicit with breached data protection.

Something tells me this might have been mentioned at the board meeting before releasing a statement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Still 60+ left.

If this was a 3000 ticket allocation there would still be well over 1000 remaining.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
But if you look up the laws on data protection there are limits to what you can do legally with data, and especially PII data, generally and also without direct and explicit consent. There's also a section of law about using data in excess of its purpose (can't recall the exact legal term) and in this case I'd suggest that the processing of PII to check allocation of 5 loyalty points is way way in excess and cannot be justified. Bournemouth also state on their website they do not share your data with anyone, so by your very own belief the Albion are complicit with breached data protection.

What you have agreed to is covered in the club's Privacy Policy here: https://www.seagullstickets.com/screenloader.aspx?type=include&page=documents/html/privacypolicy.html. This seems to encapsulate the data protection principles.

As far as fans' relationship with Bournemouth is concerned I'm not sure they have one. If Brighton sell the tickets as an agent Personal Data is probably not even shared with Bournemouth so they cannot be data processors under the act.

My caveat - I may be a bit rusty on DPA but had annual training until last year.

Explicit consent is only required for sensitive information (sexuality, health).

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It's more the host club (eg Bournemouth) supplying data to the Albion that enables the Albion to identify fans and what they've done.

The Albion have fan data and details of tickets sold to them.

The host club have data of what tickets are used to enter the ground and when.

Each of those datasets, independently, do not reveal anything at all.

It's when the host club provide their data to the Albion that the club are then able to know what fans did with their tickets. We've not agreed for host clubs to share data about us in that way.

You're right that it would arguably be Bournemouth's problem if they shared information with us. What information would bournemouth share? CCTV? I'd be amazed if they didn't have something in their CCTV policy that covered this.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Direct and explicit consent isn't law yet, that will change with the new GDPR laws. I'm not exactly sure what information would be shared. As in Bozza's post I would think it would potentially be Bournemouth's issue if they share information with us but again I think you'd be hard pushed to argue it was excessice. Both Brighton and Bournemouth could be said to have legitimate reasons, which is coverd by data protection. Processing ticket holders information wouldn't be a problem for the clubs, because the club have set out the conditions of sale and implied consent would apply to that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What you have agreed to is covered in the club's Privacy Policy here: https://www.seagullstickets.com/screenloader.aspx?type=include&page=documents/html/privacypolicy.html. This seems to encapsulate the data protection principles.

As far as fans' relationship with Bournemouth is concerned I'm not sure they have one. If Brighton sell the tickets as an agent Personal Data is probably not even shared with Bournemouth so they cannot be data processors under the act.

My caveat - I may be a bit rusty on DPA but had annual training until last year.

Explicit consent is only required for sensitive information (sexuality, health).

I'll take a look but I am sure that ones movements, ie attendance at a football match, can be classified as "personal data".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bournemouth are not releasing personal data though, they're just saying ticket no.xxxx went through their turnstile.

When it's coupled with the data Brighton have it becomes personal.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When it's coupled with the data Brighton have it becomes personal.

It's not being released though is it?

If Bournemouth issue their data to Brighton, and Brighton don't release anything and keep that information secure, where is the data protection issue?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

But I was reliably led to believe by a noisy chap I met at the Leicester match that simply identifying someone as a Brighton fan is sufficient to be certain about their sexuality.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
I heard some brought afcb tickets ie 20plus then paid another fan who was going to scan them all,kept on saying he left his phone in car,I wonder if they will be caught on cctv

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here