Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeepers and the aimless hoof

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Loads of this at the game yesterday, in fact I don't think at any point did Maty consider passing the ball to a defender thereby initiating a patient, intelligent build up of play from the back all the way to the back of the Arsenal net. No, it was hoof, hoof, hoof. And not once.... I repeat NOT ONCE did any of our players manage to jump high enough to win said hoof. Very frustrating.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
:tumble:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ah yes. Kicking the ball more than 30 or 40 yards = hoof.

I love Dunk's 40 superb yard passes................................

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
He is not a a total baller like Stockers was but equally he is not a hoofer. Somewhere in the middle.

el punal

Loads of this at the game yesterday, in fact I don't think at any point did Maty consider passing the ball to a defender thereby initiating a patient, intelligent build up of play from the back all the way to the back of the Arsenal net. No, it was hoof, hoof, hoof. And not once.... I repeat NOT ONCE did any of our players manage to jump high enough to win said hoof. Very frustrating.

I think we've got the gist that every long ball is a HOOF, but you'd better let Chris Hughton know so that he can change the tactics for the future. Better have a word with Maty Ryan too, he might not be aware of the situation either.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He did it at the end of the Newcastle game. It was like rugby just kicking into touch. Definitely something to work on, not really good enough in the premier league.

Matt Ryan has grown on me but I don't think he will ever be better than Stockdale, bad but of business overall.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

He did throw the ball out a number of times. We were limited though as our players were closed down very quickly and as our passing around the back was suspect at times we were asking for more pressure.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Classic "ball-watchers" comment is that. Grrrr

If the opposition press as high up the pitch as Arsenal did then there won't be an outlet to roll the ball to any of the back four or midfield dropping short - don't just watch the ball, look to understand the wider picture of why certain things happen.
I think MR does play short when there's an option to do so safely - but kicks long if there isn't.
Just annoying when kicks go directly into touch and hands possession back too quickly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

If the opposition press as high up the pitch as Arsenal did then there won't be an outlet to roll the ball to any of the back four or midfield dropping short - don't just watch the ball, look to understand the wider picture of why certain things happen.
I think MR does play short when there's an option to do so safely - but kicks long if there isn't.
Just annoying when kicks go directly into touch and hands possession back too quickly.

Quite. Not a difficult concept to understand.

I don't think this is actually a thread about 'goalkeepers and the aimless hoof', more a tedious attack on Matt Ryan, especially when he has clearly got it wrong about playing out to a colleague.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
He did it at the end of the Newcastle game. It was like rugby just kicking into touch. Definitely something to work on, not really good enough in the premier league.

Matt Ryan has grown on me but I don't think he will ever be better than Stockdale, bad but of business overall.

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

During the Newcastle game it was the same tactic, but 50% of them didn't stay in. Can understand the OPs frustration that the don't even stay in. I think MR is a good keeper and will only get better. Stockers didn't have that good a start either.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Ryan's kicking is twice that of Stockdale's. It's getting on my nerves people saying why does he kick it out to touch. The coaching team have clearly got it in their plans for the striker to sit on either the left or right back to win headers from the goal kick... This in turn would either make the centre back go way out of position to win the header or the striker have a much better chance of winner the header against a smaller full back. Problem yesterday was Izzy Brown can't and won't ever be the player to win headers, even against full backs (especially against Kolasinac who is a beast)

Stockdale's kicking did start off well, I remember two seasons back he nearly managed assists with his kicking. Last season however it was dreadful, he would often aim for the central striker and it would go way out to the left or right where no one was! This isn't an attack on Stockdale as he was instrumental in our promotion, but if he was asked to specifically kick it to just before the touchline like they are with Ryan it wouldn't even come close.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

What a load of rubbish. He's played seven games for us so far and he is already written off as a bad bit of business, even after most people think he's played well recently.

Having said that, I think you were the poster who said we would never make the top two after Ipswich home last season, so your opinion is hardly unbiased. You just like to moan.

As for Stockdale, at this stage in his first season he was already written off as bad business by many on here (prematurely it would seem). Ryan has done well so far. His kicking is fine but we don't have a big target man so he's having to be more clever with his kicks meaning less margin for error. And to say he will never be better than Stockdale is ridiculous.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Maybe he's playing the tactics that the manager tells him. Maybe the fact that we were pressurised quickly at the back made a kick upfield (not an aimless hoof they were aimed clearly for our players) the better option. Or maybe he just wanted to frustrate you for his own amusement.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think your Monkey has been at the keyboard again.

It's not how I remember the game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not even sure Ryan's kicking is worse than Stockdale's to be honest - some of the kicks are pretty ambitious, so it's not surprising that a 70 yard punt sometimes misses it's target by a few yards (usually just over the winger or advancing full back's head). He also seems to be exceptionally two-footed which is a big advantage.

In the middle of a good and improving run of form, made some important and classy saves and settling in well. 100% a 'team man' as well and seems to get the whole ethos of the club. Long may it continue. Still always looks like he's wearing soapy gloves in the warm up though. :D

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
What a load of rubbish. He's played seven games for us so far and he is already written off as a bad bit of business, even after most people think he's played well recently.

Having said that, I think you were the poster who said we would never make the top two after Ipswich home last season, so your opinion is hardly unbiased. You just like to moan.

As for Stockdale, at this stage in his first season he was already written off as bad business by many on here (prematurely it would seem). Ryan has done well so far. His kicking is fine but we don't have a big target man so he's having to be more clever with his kicks meaning less margin for error. And to say he will never be better than Stockdale is ridiculous.
As a standalone 5m buy he may not be so bad. But I just don't see what more he gives than Stockdale. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

I think he's doing ok though ! Nothing amazing but was a good display against arsenal

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
As a standalone 5m buy he may not be so bad. But I just don't see what more he gives than Stockdale. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

I think he's doing ok though ! Nothing amazing but was a good display against arsenal

Fitter
Better shot stopper
Better with his feet

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here